Mag mount antennas on roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.badlandsexpeditions.wordpress.com
I've been using mag mount antennas for my CB, Ham and Cell boosters on the Rhino Rack on my Porsche. They all seem to work well. I only put on the rack when I go on a trip hence the mag mounts.

I have a Rhino Rack platform rack on my 200 Series LC and I'm thinking of rather than hood or hatch mounts , I'd just put the antennas on the roof with the mag mounts. Since they are all different freqs , I was thinking of mounting the antennas along the width of the rack (56") with the Ham in the middle.

I prefer roof mounting as height does make a difference in Comms.

What do you gurus think?

Mag mounts are good for temporary antennas. I like to bolt mine to something. I hit tree limbs all the time and some have done real damage. Spacing them equidistant in the center of the rack should be good. There are programs for analyzing antenna interaction with nearby metal objects (and other antennas). With antennas on the roof rack, some of your cargo could distort the radiation pattern. Higher is better so if you are starting with mag mounts you can move them around if one stops working well.

Larry in El Paso

Thanks Larry, congrats on the retirement.

With mag mounts , if I hit a tree limb the antenna falls down to be put up later rather than being bent or broken.

The frequency range of these antennas are so far apart and would not be used concurrently so I don't think the spacing will be an issue.

I guess I answered my question, but always like the opinion of others .

I've always preferred roof mounts. I've been out with guys with fender mount antennas and the do not have the same range as an antenna way up high. Of course , I'm talking about car to car, simplex.

No on the mag mounts, sorry.

I've been a two-way installer for decades now, and bracketed fittings are a much better way to go. You'll have a poor ground plane on the magmount. the dirt below the magnet will scratch the paint of whatever you put it on.

A mirror mount bracket with appropriate stainless hardware is much better. Check what Laird or PCTEL have on their website.

Use a spring at your antenna loading coil if concerned about offroading.

I've installed like this on dozers, loaders, skid steers being sent into the bush.

Thanks .
The CB and Cell booster don't need a ground plane. Only the Ham antenna needs one. I was planning to have a piece of sheet metal mounted to the aluminium platform rack and stick the antennas on that. After that, I really don't plan on moving them.

I always make sure the bottoms are clean.

Ok. It's the loading coil type that determines ground plane, rather than the service. The bolted mounts I suggested might offer some contact to ground, but a professional install through the roof steel with an NMO hole saw is best electrically for the VHF antenna rather than the mag mounts.

If you're not selling the vehicle, the holes are bearable. If for future sale, bolt on those mirror mount brackets if you want them up high.

You could also use an NMO L-bracket under the hood, you might find a specialty one matching your vehicle from West Crystal in BC, Canada

Last edited:
Since I'm bolting down a piece of sheet metal on the aluminum rack I'll drill for NMO mounts for the Ham and GMRS antennas. The CB and cell booster will stay on mag mounts.

The steel plate will also be used to mount my remote controlled Go-Light.

Since I'm bolting down a piece of sheet metal on the aluminum rack I'll drill for NMO mounts for the Ham and GMRS antennas. The CB and cell booster will stay on mag mounts.

The steel plate will also be used to mount my remote controlled Go-Light.

Did you end up doing this? I'm pondering some mightymounts on the factory rack with a plate of steel of some kind up there as a ground plane.. point being it can all be removed cleanly between trips.

Did you end up doing this? I'm pondering some mightymounts on the factory rack with a plate of steel of some kind up there as a ground plane.. point being it can all be removed cleanly between trips.

I stuck with the mag mounts. I already have them and don't need to buy new mounts and re-run all the cabling.

I stuck with the mag mounts. I already have them and don't need to buy new mounts and re-run all the cabling.
Any issues with range or tuning? Ham even?

No however I have a new CB antenna I still have to tune. I might have to mount that to the roof under the rack. It is a cheap antenna so It might not tune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom