Machine a case for a oiler cup for 5 speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can i machine the case on an early 82 fj60 34 mm transfer case, the transfer case that I have already has 3-1Gears so I was curious if I could just machine it for a oil cup to bolt it to a 5 speed transmission, thanks for the information

The oiler isn’t necessary. There are thousands of early 5 speeds out there that do not have it and they’re just fine. It was an addition that the Toyota engineers decided to include in the later versions for some reason.

And, no I don’t think you could machine the case to accept one anyhow. The cup snaps into some tabs that are cast into the case. All it really does is catch oil that splashes on the side of the case and slows it down as it trickles into the 5th gear. It’s redundant and if anything is a part that could fall out and cause issues later on, though I’ve never heard of that. I have heard of several people who forgot to install the cup and ran the thing without it for years with zero issues. You’ll be fine without it.

I agree with the above statement, you could also replace the front case half with a 83-85 half if you REALLY wanted the oiler.

My understanding from a well known California shop is the case halves are machined originally as a pair. While you probably COULD just install a different case front half, i don't think i would recommend it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom