M416 axle flip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am curious about how they tow and handle on the highway after an soa. If you all who have already done this don't mind chimming in, I would greatly appreciate some real hands on experience.

I plan on doing an soa, but I am worried about the highway towing. I plan on going to 33" tires to match my jeep. I also have a rack and a tent up there.

20211003_165522.jpg

I am curious about how they tow and handle on the highway after an soa. If you all who have already done this don't mind chimming in, I would greatly appreciate some real hands on experience.

I plan on doing an soa, but I am worried about the highway towing. I plan on going to 33" tires to match my jeep. I also have a rack and a tent up there.

View attachment 2816873
20211013_165521.jpg

Edit: Old thread, did not need my post.

Mark...

Last edited:
Reviving a super old thread but ... How have these trailers tracked on highway and off-road on trails with the center of gravity brought up by flipping the axle?
Any issues with tipping over on a trail, especially with a roof top tent on it?
Mine track perfectly on the road at high and low speed, rough or smooth.

The loading of the trailer makes more difference the the axle configuration for roll overs. I have laid on one it's side in a river, coming down off of a steep bank when it was loaded with two 55 gal drums of fuel in a cradle, a few blitz cans and misc "stuff in the crannies and a 36 inch Swamper on top of the drums. Actually my daughter laid it over, but I was spotting her from across the river over the radio, so it was my fault. On another run, another other trailer, loaded the same, went over when I drove over some alders that were stouter than they looked and they stood back up more than I expected after the rig pass over them and they lifted the trailer enough to dump it sideways.

In both cases it was the center of gravity due to total height. and driving mistakes that should not have happened. With your tent on top, if it is as heavy as most of the soft side tens I have looked at, your COG will be a concern for any serious trail travel. Easy stuff, no big deal. And a heavier loading in the trailer will actually lower your COG as opposed to running the trailer empty with the tent up top.

I also flipped (at speed) an empty 416 over on it;'s top on a rough trail. My fault. I was running behind schedule and rushing in to a camp to pick up cargo for a crew I was supporting and succumbed to a case of "hurry up damn it" Trailer was bouncing off the ground over the bigger bumps and just came down wrong. Should have slowed down. Did a number on it and I still have not repaired the damage. Luckily for me, the folks I was supporting wanted me to push my s*** harder than I liked so we had an "I break it - you buy it" clause in the contract. ;)

Mark...

Mine track perfectly on the road at high and low speed, rough or smooth.

The loading of the trailer makes more difference the the axle configuration for roll overs. I have laid on one it's side in a river, coming down off of a steep bank when it was loaded with two 55 gal drums of fuel in a cradle, a few blitz cans and misc "stuff in the crannies and a 36 inch Swamper on top of the drums. Actually my daughter laid it over, but I was spotting her from across the river over the radio, so it was my fault. On another run, another other trailer, loaded the same, went over when I drove over some alders that were stouter than they looked and they stood back up more than I expected after the rig pass over them and they lifted the trailer enough to dump it sideways.

In both cases it was the center of gravity due to total height. and driving mistakes that should not have happened. With your tent on top, if it is as heavy as most of the soft side tens I have looked at, your COG will be a concern for any serious trail travel. Easy stuff, no big deal. And a heavier loading in the trailer will actually lower your COG as opposed to running the trailer empty with the tent up top.

I also flipped (at speed) an empty 416 over on it;'s top on a rough trail. My fault. I was running behind schedule and rushing in to a camp to pick up cargo for a crew I was supporting and succumbed to a case of "hurry up damn it" Trailer was bouncing off the ground over the bigger bumps and just came down wrong. Should have slowed down. Did a number on it and I still have not repaired the damage. Luckily for me, the folks I was supporting wanted me to push my s*** harder than I liked so we had an "I break it - you buy it" clause in the contract. ;)

Mark...
Thanks for the response. I am going to flip it this weekend and throw some 33's on it. I will post some pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom