M416 axle flip (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
just bought my first m416 trailer and planning to do the axle flip. ive been looking on builds here but couldnt get the grasp on how it is donet . anybody with good pics on how it looks after the flip will be appreciated . pics of current set up
axle023.jpg

axle022.jpg

does the top of the axle go at the bottom ? if so then what shld i do with the brakes.. i want to retain the brakes. thanks

I assume axle flip = spring over. Unbolt the hubs, unbolt the "U" bolts, pull the axle, turn it over so the spring perch is facing up, lay it under the springs, bolt on the "U" bolts, swap the hubs from left to right so you can use the brakes, bolt them on.

I seem to remember that you have to flip it and then swap sides (right to left) so you can hook up the brakes. You'll have to reposition the brake cable to stretch the extra 8" or so. For me it was easiest to unbolt the rear shackles and slide the axle out the back

DSC03797.jpg

DSC03796.jpg

DSC03789.jpg

DSC03793.jpg

I assume axle flip = spring over. Unbolt the hubs, unbolt the "U" bolts, pull the axle, turn it over so the spring perch is facing up, lay it under the springs, bolt on the "U" bolts, swap the hubs from left to right so you can use the brakes, bolt them on.
makes sense, i really appreciate it. cant wait to do it alone. thanks.

jesse

I seem to remember that you have to flip it and then swap sides (right to left) so you can hook up the brakes. You'll have to reposition the brake cable to stretch the extra 8" or so. For me it was easiest to unbolt the rear shackles and slide the axle out the back

DSC03797.jpg

DSC03796.jpg

DSC03789.jpg

DSC03793.jpg
wow , that tops it all. do i need to use longer u bolts and or any special tools needed , i guess not? im beginnig to love this forum. thanks.
jesse

Last edited:
pictures needed? it does not get much simpler than this.

And... no need to swap the nubs after you put the axle back in Just spin the axle end for end while it is out.

Last time we did this, we did it at the trailhead before leaving the road. Took less than 15 minutes with all the extra hands we had.

(And... no need to swap the nubs after you put the axle back in Just spin the axle end for end while it is out.)

smart idea , thanks. love this forum.

That looks great with your FJ Cruiser. I need to do a bit of work on my FJC to bring it up to that level.

CIMG2334.jpg

It sits fine with the '40 with a 3" Safari lift.

CIMG1280.jpg

i like the star on your trailer :clap:

thats an awesome 40 you have there and thanks for the help :cheers:

Thanks. When I was stripping the trailer I found the original stars (under AL:crybaby:T of paint).

DSC02807.jpg

Your trailer turned out real nice. Looks great.

I'm planning to change my tires to 285/75/16 can those white wheels handle that? Current tire size is 255/85/16. Thanks.

I understand this...

And... no need to swap the nubs after you put the axle back in Just spin the axle end for end while it is out.

I don't quite understand this one.

If i don't unbolt the hubs, and swap them left to right, right to left, then my brake line attachment for the hand brake will be then facing toward the bottom. Correct?

The trailer spring-over ride height works great with my FJ40. The FJ40 is also a SOA.

M416 10.jpg

You turn the axle over and turn it so the right side is now on the left side

I understand this part. What i'm trying to figure out is when this is done, the brake line is now exposed to the wheeling elements because originally before the SOA conversion, the brake line enters from the top whereas it now enters at the bottom. My question is, is this safe? And can the hubs be disconnected and kept in their left right original position and then rotate the axle tube left to right and then reconnect the hubs. This way, the brake line stays on top of the axle.

Am i overthinking this?

Reviving a super old thread but ... How have these trailers tracked on highway and off-road on trails with the center of gravity brought up by flipping the axle?
Any issues with tipping over on a trail, especially with a roof top tent on it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom