LX’s - super clean low mile 09 vs 13. Looking for input on first 200 purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I am looking at pulling the trigger on my first 200 series next week. I’m in San Antonio and will probably be flying and buying and have narrowed to 2 potentials. Would love input on if the newer one is worth it, although I think I prefer the softer look of pre 13’s.

The ‘09 is really low miles for the price with great service history. It was serviced once in Connecticut, but a Texas truck for 99% of its life which I think is a huge plus here. It also appears to be very clean but of course nice pics hide scratches easily.
The ‘13 is newer and I love the color combo so much that it’s giving me second thoughts on the ‘09 but is an Oklahoma truck and not sure what snow or salt looks like up there?

Really appreciate the input here. If it was your purchase which direction would you go? Hoping to put a deposit down EOD to lock one in.

I would go with the newer one. Things like music streaming over bluetooth weren't available on the 2009, but were there on the 2013. I also think you will get more money back when it comes time to sell seeing as its 4 years newer for the same price. Mileage doesn't affect these all that much. Both look clean, can't go wrong. I just bought a 2011 with 156k for $26k as a data point.

Thanks to both of y’all! After reviewing the service history on Lexus driver’s I think the 09 is a much better buy so I put a deposit down. The latest entry for the ‘13 lists a timing chain cover leak and rear shock leak which were both declined. That doesn’t mean they weren’t performed elsewhere but based on date of the entry, I’m pretty sure they weren’t. The ‘09 also only drove 2500 miles from October of ‘18 to now, so I almost suspect someone died who owned it? Not necessarily a good thing but I just feel like such low miles is worth more in this case, when I want to keep it for many many years to come. I can always update the head unit!

The '09 looks nice but I would feel more comfortable buying the '13 from the Lexus dealership. My choice would be the '13 based on newer and the dealership.

The '09 looks nice but I would feel more comfortable buying the '13 from the Lexus dealership. My choice would be the '13 based on newer and the dealership.
I made a comment on the ‘13’s records. I did not mention that there are also zero records from 44k to 106k miles which doesn’t help its case.

I made a comment on the ‘13’s records. I did not mention that there are also zero records from 44k to 106k miles which doesn’t help its case.
I think you will be pleased. The service records and mileage tilted it for me too.

I think you will be pleased. The service records and mileage tilted it for me too.
Thanks! I think so too. Closing on our home Friday so not going up till early next week but super excited to see it. Need to think about some wheels too.

To clarify my records comment for anyone else, yes carfax shows some oil changes at Chevy dealers, but no Lexus official history from 44-106k.

I've got a 10 and I think you'll be happy...bt streaming came in 10, but lots of aftermarket ways to make that work. I like that vintage as it still looks more like an LC twin vs a different vehicle altogether (16+ are crazy)

I've got a 10 and I think you'll be happy...bt streaming came in 10, but lots of aftermarket ways to make that work. I like that vintage as it still looks more like an LC twin vs a different vehicle altogether (16+ are crazy)
Totally agree! Pre 13 look much more like the LC and I like that. Cheers!

The rule with 200s is usually buy the newest one you can afford :)

Either will be great but I would just comment that a lifetime in Ok or TX is nothing compared to one winter in CT.

I would inspect it thoroughly for rust and even if you don’t find any obvious, be prepared for potential rust related issues later on.

It’s not a big deal, but you need to be aware of it. We bought a new car in CT one June and moved to the south the following June. By year 3 it had developed rust in all kinds of places.

Either will be great but I would just comment that a lifetime in Ok or TX is nothing compared to one winter in CT.

I would inspect it thoroughly for rust and even if you don’t find any obvious, be prepared for potential rust related issues later on.

It’s not a big deal, but you need to be aware of it. We bought a new car in CT one June and moved to the south the following June. By year 3 it had developed rust in all kinds of places.
I don’t think there’s any evidence it was in CT for an entire winter, or if it was even driven much but I do appreciate the input. I’ll request pictures and inspect when I get up there. Comments that both are great or to buy the newest you can afford don’t address the issues with the 2013 having some issues that were declined recently. To me it looks like they traded in after getting the news of timing cover leak, shock leak, and AHC service recommendation. I think that speaks volumes more than the one service record for the ‘09 in CT but I am the newbie here so I don’t want to pretend I would know better!

After revisiting history - CT service visit was in July, with visits in Texas and AZ closely before and after which would indicate no winter time IMO.

I don’t think there’s any evidence it was in CT for an entire winter, or if it was even driven much but I do appreciate the input. I’ll request pictures and inspect when I get up there. Comments that both are great or to buy the newest you can afford don’t address the issues with the 2013 having some issues that were declined recently. To me it looks like they traded in after getting the news of timing cover leak, shock leak, and AHC service recommendation. I think that speaks volumes more than the one service record for the ‘09 in CT but I am the newbie here so I don’t want to pretend I would know better!

Yeah, it is hard to comment on the service records. It may or may not indicate inadequate maintenance. The owner may have had a crack mechanic that they used. Who knows.

Any used car purchase comes with some risk and your rationale is completely reasonable. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t.

Do you know anything about the independent dealer you are buying from? Unfortunately, stereotypes about used car lots exist for a reason. There are some great ones, but there are way more shady ones.

In any case, it sounds like you’ve done your homework and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Having owned an 08 and now a 2013... I don't think there is much compelling difference between them. BT streaming is easily added to the older trucks and the HID's on the 2013 seem weaker than the cheap Hikari LED's I added to the 08.

Yeah, it is hard to comment on the service records. It may or may not indicate inadequate maintenance. The owner may have had a crack mechanic that they used. Who knows.

Any used car purchase comes with some risk and your rationale is completely reasonable. The devil you know is better than the devil you don’t.

Do you know anything about the independent dealer you are buying from? Unfortunately, stereotypes about used car lots exist for a reason. There are some great ones, but there are way more shady ones.

In any case, it sounds like you’ve done your homework and I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.
Great points here. I sold for a Sewell dealership in Texas briefly and even as one of the more trusted and sought after dealer networks, I was pretty surprised by some of the attitude that permeated through the staff. This place seems to be decent to work with. 103 reviews on google with an average of 4.5 stars. I’m working on numbers with the guy today. Will update the purchase price thread with whatever I close it at.

Obviously it could blow up the day I drive it off the lot. I sold a 5.0 mustang a couple years ago and a piston cracked on the next owner 6 months later with no early signs of it. Even the best manufacturers have freak accidents and it’s a machine that will have flaws. Due diligence makes me most comfortable with the ‘09 and I can’t wait to take her out! Thanks to all on the input.

The rule with 200s is usually buy the newest one you can afford :)
I have the opposite rule buy cheapest with least rust. Personally none of the newer features are worth thousands to me. Also, cheaper the truck the harder I can be with it. Also I like upgrading suspension, wheels, tires, sliders. I love my 2009 screen head unit and bought a $10 bluetooth adapter to stream music. I sat in newer 200s and I preferred my early model. I hate the mouse on newer lx. To me the vehicle is not about technology, I drive it like I stole it.

My recommendation if I had an LX is buy 2nd set of wheels and put 35 tires and flip back and forth when you feel like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom