LX570 Augmenting for Load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

^Hrmm... I don't quite recall. I'll be under my car later this week and will take a looksie.

Do you happen to remember if the inner diameter on these was large enough to seat around the stock bump stop to sandwich it between the spring and bump stop vs. body amd bump stop? Thanks

I'm thinking the inner diameter wasn't large enough. Which is why I resorted to putting it between the body and bump stop from the picture

Thanks. Appears these were made for the 80 and 100 but any spacers made for the 80 or 100 will not fit the 200 bump stop.

Just putting this here in case anyone in the future would like to add a spacer but keep it in between the spring and bump stop that Toyota actually makes one for the 200.

6c9f0f054b6d239901e42b1f0f8a8dde.png

s-l1600.jpg

If you want a thicker one that clear the stock bump stop there are a few on ebay that have the inside tapered to fit.

s-l1600.jpg

Rear coil spacers 30mm for Toyota Land Cruiser 80, 100, 200, SEQUOIA lift kit | eBay

I had a pair of aluminum spacers laying around from my 80 that I tried to fit to the LX570, thinking it would be a quick and easy fit. Nope, like @Ali FJ80 stated, the ID of the spacers are too small to fit around the bump stop and would not sit flush. Ended up machining the ID to fit the taper of the bump stops.

What did that gain me? I don't know. I haven't put a bunch of weight in the rear to see if it made an ounce of difference or not. I did check with techstream afterwards and didn't see a great difference in pressures...

IMG_20180819_160601.jpg

IMG_20180819_153611.jpg

IMG_20180819_182900.jpg

IMG_20180819_183834.jpg

I had a pair of aluminum spacers laying around from my 80 that I tried to fit to the LX570, thinking it would be a quick and easy fit. Nope, like @Ali FJ80 stated, the ID of the spacers are too small to fit around the bump stop and would not sit flush. Ended up machining the ID to fit the taper of the bump stops.

What did that gain me? I don't know. I haven't put a bunch of weight in the rear to see if it made an ounce of difference or not. I did check with techstream afterwards and didn't see a great difference in pressures...

View attachment 1879234

View attachment 1879235

View attachment 1879236

View attachment 1879237

Decided to take a second look as I already had the Dobinson spacers which I had ordered thinking it would be plug and play. Was not ready to cut into my spacers as these are not aluminum like yours but whatever the hard plastic is. So did the easier thing and just trimmed off enough of the rubber on the old bumpstop and they now fit like a glove. Took a few minutes with a multi tool.

upload_2019-1-17_8-28-40.png

upload_2019-1-17_8-29-6.png

upload_2019-1-17_8-29-33.png

upload_2019-1-17_8-29-56.png

Unfortunately for the life of me could not find my techstream to do before and after readings but with the addition of the swingout bumper and tire hanging off the back I feel better knowing these are out back.

I've done a few upgrade to my trailer and LX and the added weight when towing sometimes exceeds the ability of the AHC to go into high mode. Normal works great without issue. In certain situations especially when the trailer is pointing downhill and putting more tongue weight on the LX, that it's exceeding AHC pressures to enter high. The tongue weight of my Airstream is especially heavy compared to most travel trailers at great than 1000lbs.

Upgrades since have included an LRA subtank (~150lbs), generator on trailer tongue (~50lbs), more solar/trailer batts (~50lbs).

Added another 10mm worth of spacer (for a total of 20mm) to translate more load to the coil springs. That should do the trick.

Not to resurrect an old thread but here I go. Any updates to the spacer system? Did you also upgrade your tires for towing? Change your wheels to 18"?

I'm currently trying to decide between a 16+ LX or LC. Would be solely for DD and towing our travel trailer (which we're looking right up to the 7k mark in GVWR). Just the wife and dog, so we'd ditch the 3d row seats to save some weight.

I've got an LX470 for my off road rig.

Spacers working out great. No qualms about this upgrade. I'm not exactly a stock weight rig between the auxiliary fuel tank, weighty adds to my trailer, and mildly sensor lift. I had an '06 LX that I towed with too. The LX570 AHC system is quite a bit more capable and robust.

Yes, I've also upgraded my tires. To Light Truck (LT) load range E tires. More for off-road but it will offer stability benefits over stock P-metric tires. For towing, it's not necessarily a benefit to go down to 18s as the larger diameter wheels again add to lateral stability against sway.

The stock LC is indeed rated higher. Understand that doesn't necessarily mean it performs better handling more weight. It's a matter of chassis Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). The LX is effectively a higher trim model of the 200-series with up to 400-500 lbs more accouterments which subtract from chassis GVWR, and therefore trailer tow ratings. There's owners here that have both LC and LX and have towed between them, and find AHC to be a benefit to convenience, comfort, and stability. Always dialing in just the right damping and support. Many LC guys that tow heavy find very quickly the stock soft spring rate suspension is not up to the task (contrary to its higher rating). Needing to fit higher rate springs, adjust suspension damping, and/or air bags. Then it becomes the constant adjustment to bias for unladen ride comfort versus load bearing support. The LC can and does tow well once setup appropriately however, as it is a 200-series with all its HD build quailties.

Does anyone has the step by step instruction on how to install the rear coil springs? TiA

I think these instructions would probably help you.

Does anyone know if adding a helper spring to the front coil/shock assembly might augment the capacity of the front coil? I don’t know that, other than spacers, there is a way to “moldly” augment the front of the suspension for the lx570 for things like bumpers, winches, etc. Is this a viable option?

Does anyone know if adding a helper spring to the front coil/shock assembly might augment the capacity of the front coil? I don’t know that, other than spacers, there is a way to “moldly” augment the front of the suspension for the lx570 for things like bumpers, winches, etc. Is this a viable option?

Yes. The front LC200 shock spacer will do that, along with increasing the front suspension travel from 9" to 10" Win win.

Recently, Westcott came out with a spacer lift for the LC200. That same spacer can be use to pre-load the front spring.

Though question if this is really needed unless especially heavy? There's a few fully armored LXs that are stock AHC, and report it handles great. The AHC system has 2 spring rates at the front, meaning it has an integral and auto selectable "high rate spring".

Yes. The front LC200 shock spacer will do that, along with increasing the front suspension travel from 9" to 10" Win win.

Recently, Westcott came out with a spacer lift for the LC200. That same spacer can be use to pre-load the front spring.

Though question if this is really needed unless especially heavy? There's a few fully armored LXs that are stock AHC, and report it handles great. The AHC system has 2 spring rates at the front, meaning it has an integral and auto selectable "high rate spring".
Would pre loading the front spring using a spacer slightly reduce the spring’s “stroke” of compression?

Does the rear spring also have two spring rates?

I added a 10mm spacer to each spring at the rear axle. Intent is to add a bit more support to the AHC system, as I tow a heavy 27' Airstream travel trailer. This exact same mod could be done to an LC too, but will result in lifting ~1/2".

While the LX570 never asked for it, this is a well established mod carried over from the 100-series LX470. I had added spacers to my LX470, to bring AHC neutral calibration pressure back to stock and to support more load as I towed with that car also.

I'm not being as thorough here as I could hookup techstream to see where the pressures are. Note there is some mixed info in that the LX570 doesn't report pressures like the LX470 did.

The LX570 AHC seems far more robust. Where the LX470, once near payload capacity, will no longer lift to high position without additional mods like this, I've not found that upper limit on the LX570 yet.

Specifics: Old Man Emu 80/100/200 10mm coil spacers

I installed the spacer between the chassis and coil seat. Traditionally, I'd install this between the seat and spring. But this was easier as the seat fit tightly in the spring. The chassis has a depression that it positively locate the spacer anyhow. It's a quick 30minute mod. Need spring compressors.

Pics:
View attachment 1533272
View attachment 1533273
Is the method for this install to just compress the spring and slide the spacer in?

The spacer fits on top of the strut cap, so you don’t even have to do that. Only real issue on LX is having to disconnect the AHC line and replace fluid/bleed.

On the 200, there are only dual springs on the front. On the 300 Toyota did add the 2nd spring to the rear.

The spacer fits on top of the strut cap, so you don’t even have to do that. Only real issue on LX is having to disconnect the AHC line and replace fluid/bleed.

On the 200, there are only dual springs on the front. On the 300 Toyota did add the 2nd spring to the rear.
My understanding is that with the lx the rear there is no need to mess with ahc line.

I think with the front you mess with the ahc line.

Does anyone have instructions on putting a spacer on the rear?

Is it
1. Compress the rear spring
2. Jack the body up
3. Insert the spacer
4. Lower the body back down
5. Uncompress the rear spring?

My understanding is that with the lx the rear there is no need to mess with ahc line.

I think with the front you mess with the ahc line.

Does anyone have instructions on putting a spacer on the rear?

Is it
1. Compress the rear spring
2. Jack the body up
3. Insert the spacer
4. Lower the body back down
5. Uncompress the rear spring?
Sorry, i thought you were talking about the front. Yes in the rear, you don't need to mess with the shock/ahc line connection. I've also heard that you don't need a spring compressor, although if you can do it safely it probably makes the job easier. I believe there are two lines on the axle you need to detach so they don't get stretched, but other than that, you just disconnect the shock at the bottom and push the axle down and the spring will come out. (edit: just thumbed through that thread, looks like there is more stuff to loosen/remove to make the job easier).

Here is the thread i use for all things rear suspension.

I’ve struggled to find a direct for a spacer more than 15mm. Found this one eBay and the sizes appear to fit.

I have a sensor lift and when towing my camping trailer (tongue weight approx 600lbs) and occasionaly won’t get in H mode.

I can get this eBay spacer in 30, 40 or 50mm

Thoughts on fitting say the 40mm spacer? Will the ride when not loaded be too stiff?

I’ve struggled to find a direct for a spacer more than 15mm. Found this one eBay and the sizes appear to fit.

I have a sensor lift and when towing my camping trailer (tongue weight approx 600lbs) and occasionaly won’t get in H mode.

I can get this eBay spacer in 30, 40 or 50mm

Thoughts on fitting say the 40mm spacer? Will the ride when not loaded be too stiff?

My general strategy is to add as much static spacer plus maybe 10mm more, to compensate for any sensor lift in the rear. So if you sensor lifted 30mm, than ~40mm should work great. I can't say if those spacers will work specifically, but should. It's possible they may need some clearance to fit around the jounce stop base. I used a router to do that on mine.

As I also have airbags, I can arbitrarily add more physical spring rate. AHC will never ride badly even with too much spring augmentation. It'll just have the effect of incrementally reduced damping.

My general strategy is to add as much static spacer plus maybe 10mm more, to compensate for any sensor lift in the rear. So if you sensor lifted 30mm, than ~40mm should work great. I can't say if those spacers will work specifically, but should. It's possible they may need some clearance to fit around the jounce stop base. I used a router to do that on mine.

As I also have airbags, I can arbitrarily add more physical spring rate. AHC will never ride badly even with too much spring augmentation. It'll just have the effect of incrementally reduced damping.
Thanks for the reply. I’ve measured the internal diameter again and agree it will require trimming of the bump stop.

To get 40mm this seems to be the only way without adding multiple 10/15mm spacers which doesn’t seem like the ‘right’ thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom