LX570 Augmenting for Load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Instead of a space are there heavier springs available?
Agree - I would like to investigate this option but none of the spring stockists here can recommend anything that will still allow AHC to function.

Terrain Tamer made a spring for the 100 series. I know it's been successfully installed on a few 200s with positive reviews.

Instead of a space are there heavier springs available?

It's certainly an option as we're talking about augmenting for load. Adding freelength to a spring while keeping spring rate, and adding spring rate with heavier springs are two different things with each having different merit.

As a general strategy for an off-roader, the slinkiest softest springs are going to give it the most compliance, articulation, and capability. Want to keep as much of that as possible while augmenting for load.

For a stock weight LX that will tow on occasion, it's best IMO to keep stock spring rates. Using spacers to adjust free length to support the sensor lift.

A rig is built with more installed weight like armor and overlanding gear, incrementally more spring rate could be called for. The AHC system already has a lot of ability to add progressive spring rate to compensate.

As I use my rig in a varied fashion, from almost stock weight to 2200lbs payload (my Airstream tongue is 1200lbs alone), my preference is spacers to compensate for the sensor lift, and airbags inflated to 18PSI, to handle laden towing and trip duty.

It's certainly an option as we're talking about augmenting for load. Adding freelength to a spring while keeping spring rate, and adding spring rate with heavier springs are two different things with each having different merit.

As a general strategy for an off-roader, the slinkiest softest springs are going to give it the most compliance, articulation, and capability. Want to keep as much of that as possible while augmenting for load.

For a stock weight LX that will tow on occasion, it's best IMO to keep stock spring rates. Using spacers to adjust free length to support the sensor lift.

A rig is built with more installed weight like armor and overlanding gear, incrementally more spring rate could be called for. The AHC system already has a lot of ability to add progressive spring rate to compensate.

As I use my rig in a varied fashion, from almost stock weight to 2200lbs payload (my Airstream tongue is 1200lbs alone), my preference is spacers to compensate for the sensor lift, and airbags inflated to 18PSI, to handle laden towing and trip duty.
Thanks for the detailed reply.

I tend to agree with this logic. It’s only that others are installing the upgraded coils with success. Perhaps they have more static load. For me it’s only while I’m towing (which will be constantly as I will be touring around for 12months). There don’t appear to be any direct fitment spacers for 40-50mm unless cutting of the bump stop is required.
I’m leaving towards the coil upgrade if suitable, as this can still have spacers added if required and easily reversible if required.

Airbags would be great but it’s the costs putting me off.

Can you still access full L with these?

Thanks for the detailed reply.

I tend to agree with this logic. It’s only that others are installing the upgraded coils with success. Perhaps they have more static load. For me it’s only while I’m towing (which will be constantly as I will be touring around for 12months). There don’t appear to be any direct fitment spacers for 40-50mm unless cutting of the bump stop is required.
I’m leaving towards the coil upgrade if suitable, as this can still have spacers added if required and easily reversible if required.

Airbags would be great but it’s the costs putting me off.

Can you still access full L with these?

The other rigs that are using the aftermarket AHC springs are pretty built. Probably with something like 800lbs + of installed weight. Even then, some of them report that getting into AHC low can be inconsistent.

I'm pretty particular about mods and in my engineering mind, the goal is to have cake and eat it too. Generally trying to not to give up something to achieve something else. Modifying AHC takes a different perspective than modifying stock suspensions as it already has a large bandwidth for adjustment. Don't want to take away that bandwidth.

Airbags are a pretty cheap and easy mod. ~$120 for the kit. And maybe 2-4 hrs to install. Keeps all the stock goodness and doesn't bias the vehicle to be something else. While enabling 2200+ lbs of payload and still being able to get into high mode. Another perk is the ability to use the bags to level the rig for car camping.

Check out this thread if you haven't seen it already

I know i've read it, but I can't find it again.
I've read all the threads I had book marked.
Current one-
OEM strut spacer-
and a few others.

Front options:
Strut spacer (physically lower whole assembly) (find a few PNs above easily)
Spring spacer (pull spring from strut, slide in, put back, and all the rest that's involved anyway) (Is this right? FRONT COIL SPRING SPACER BUSH KIT FOR TOYOTA LANDCRUISER VDJ200 UZJ200 10MM | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/255706215912?hash=item3b894735e8:g:gjwAAOSwVdFi6JmD)

Does anybody have any links/PNs for the spring spacer, if the above is not right/have a US version?
I'm not after lift, I'm after weight capacity on Leximo. Added the front bumper/winch, rack, (next - interior sleeping platform/fridge), and I tow my 80...

Looking at doing these things:
Front Spring Spacer- ?
Rear spring spacer -
Amazon product ASIN B09RG83H9Z
airbags in the future

Thanks

Leximo - 2014 Lexus LX570 - 28” stretch - 26,900 miles - From Louisiana! - Imgur.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom