LX570 and kayaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I carry this 16.5’ canoe all the time on my bars I tie down to the tow loop on the front and the hitch on the back. I have an LX. I used to have 2 we kayaks that were a breeze getting on and off.

187E9AE6-325B-4754-BF27-578FA78932F1.jpeg

Question: what is the thinking on carrying kayaks hull-down? I would be concerned that if you got caught in a downpour, wouldn't the cockpit and hull get filled with water? Then they would get really heavy, plus make it very challenging to get them down.

Nah... Just pull the plugs that let ocean wave water flush out. Water goes right out through the hull as designed. If you get hit with a wave while kayaking, for example, water flows right out the floor while in use.

These are sit-on-top kayaks...not sit-inside.

Yowza! Okay, so I trying to end up with a longer and wider platform on which to load stuff on top of the roof. Whether I go with the flat Rhino Pioneer platform (84x56") set up for Thule Dock Glide kayak carriers or the LC rails with wider cross bars (Rhino 59"), I'm looking $2000-2400.

Not sure why the LX doesn't come with the longer rails like on the LC. I'll see if I can get lucky like above and find used LC rails at some minimal cost.

Oh well, what price kayaking in the remote areas of the country. :)

I'd definitely consider it if it's good quality and does what I need. I just don't know anything about racks.

I'm looking at this currently to enable a flat luggage platform that I can also use to carry two kayaks. I'd remove the factory rails and install:
1) Rhino Pioneer platform Backbone $450
2) Rhino Pioneer platform $700
3) Rhino tray bars (interface between platform and kayak carrier): $110
4) Rhino 59" load bar $160
5) Rhino RCL low legs $135
6) Thule Dock Glide kayak carrier $458 (2 pairs)

This comes out to be around $2000+ The Rhino Pioneer and the Prinsu seems to be in the same ballpark unless the Prinsu comes w/ the mounting rail kit (ie - the Rhino Backbone). And then it's a matter of which is more suited to my needs and build quality.

Still trying to figure it all out. I'll look at prinsu more.

Given things being on sale and re-thinking how I carry the 2 kayaks, I think I'm going to get both the Rhino Pioneer and a trailer.

1) Rhino 76x54" Pioneer on RCH legs - parts about $900; I'll try installing myself (thanks for all the tips in the other thread!!).

2) I want to get a trailer as well (after talking about this more with my wife). The trailer just looks really easy for kayaking in locations w/in 2 hour drive. For longer distances, we would load the kayaks onto the Pioneer.

Question: I'm looking at the Yakima 66" trailer, the Malone Microsport XT and the Malone Megasport trailers. Any recommendations to carry 2 14' kayaks (and maybe other small stuff as a general utility trailer).

The Yakima looks well made but is the most expensive and also has the lowest load rating. The Microsport XT is cheapest but still looks well made and is made in USA (not sure about Yakima); doesn't have the storage wheels like the Yakima but the tongue retracts. The Megasport has the highest load rating (much more than I think I would ever need) and the crossbars are longer than I need/want (could cut them I guess). But it doesn't seem to come w/ the retractable tongue like the other two. I'm attracted to the upright storage capability of the first two.

Any experiences on thoughts on which trailer to get? With things on sale, it's a good time to buy.

Yep, $145 for both sides, used (assume they are from a wrecked Cruiser).

You want to make sure #2 includes caps and mounting hardware.

@tbisaacs do you mind if I ask where you got the used LC rails? I think I might like to go with that option but don't know where to find the LC rails and how much the going price is for a pair.

@tbisaacs do you mind if I ask where you got the used LC rails? I think I might like to go with that option but don't know where to find the LC rails and how much the going price is for a pair.

I bought a used set from eBay. I would check with @Eric Sarjeant for a set of takeoffs.

I have takeoffs, if you need a set, email me at esarjeant@edmartin.com

Not sure if this would help due to the age of those post or the spoiler on the 200, but my buddy invented this and sells them at Midwest boat, sport, and travel shows. May be worth looking into.

I use 66” yakama round bars with the rail grab in my ‘13 LX with: 4 bikes, 16.5’ canoe, cargo box, double ski racks (for 8 pairs). I don’t have kayaks but the wider bar makes it way easier with the 100 lb 16.5’ canoe.
Currently in the midst of the LC rail swap and will be adding yakima v thule cross bars. Curious if you have any wind noise with your set up (without equipment such as bikes, kayaks). Thanks

Currently in the midst of the LC rail swap and will be adding yakima v thule cross bars. Curious if you have any wind noise with your set up (without equipment such as bikes, kayaks). Thanks
I run 78" wide yakima round bars on my roof rack for kayaks, canoes, bikes, etc. There is significant wind noise. In fact, it's louder empty than with kayaks on it. I usually take them off and put them back on to haul boats etc. I've got it down to about 10 min to install and remove with Yakima Low Rider towers. They don't make the low rider anymore, but the rail grab is basically the same thing.

I run 78" wide yakima round bars on my roof rack for kayaks, canoes, bikes, etc. There is significant wind noise. In fact, it's louder empty than with kayaks on it. I usually take them off and put them back on to haul boats etc. I've got it down to about 10 min to install and remove with Yakima Low Rider towers. They don't make the low rider anymore, but the rail grab is basically the same thing.

I fab'ed my own crossbars and the noise was intolerable. Purchased a wind fairing from Amazon (see below) and it works great. Only one gotcha, the bottom of the fairing does tend to rattle against the roof a bit but a piece of foam pipe insulation took care of that. It's ugly if you are standing where you can see the top of the roof but really not that noticeable otherwise.

Wind Fairing

For just my crossbars there is some noise but I don’t think it’s bad, I leave my rail grab/crossbars on year round.

Question: what is the thinking on carrying kayaks hull-down? I would be concerned that if you got caught in a downpour, wouldn't the cockpit and hull get filled with water? Then they would get really heavy, plus make it very challenging to get them down.

The small fresh water kayaks with no cockpit generally have a lot more stuff on the top side that can pinch or get damaged so they are stored right side up or on the side. White water or sea kayaks (16'-18') with a large cock pit are stored upside down. Less rigging on top and like you said they will fill with water. Upside down is also more aerodynamic and with the sea kayaks you use the front and back tow strap to lash to the front bumper and rear bumper.

I Just take those foam pool noodles and slice them. Slide them over the roof rack and use a thule strap on the plastic kayaks. The fiber glass sea kayaks same set up just a towel between the straps and the hull to protect the gel coat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom