lx470 wood shift..please help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys,

i was wondering what your thoughts were on replacing the stock shifter on a 1998 LX470 with another one that came off a 2002 LX470 and is exactly the same, except with wood. it would involve cutting the overdrive wires from the original shifter and then splicing them back to the new one. do you think it's a good idea? also, do you think any type of electrical damage can occur by cutting and splicing?

thanks

And what would this gain?

oh it would gain nothing. i just like the look of it.

this swap can be done, but are you sure it involves cutting the wires? i havent heard that mentioned before, but i could have just missed it. if you swap the shift knob, i like the look too, even without the wood wheel

yeah the seller said that he had to splice the over drive wires and the wire for the contorl that doesnt let you depress the gear shift button until you hit the brake. its gonna cost like $120. what do you think, jj?

$120 for the shifter and the install? i would do it as long as he seems competent to do the job right. has he done many of these in the past?

If it looks exactly the same except for having the wood, I would expect a direct replacement using a connector instead of splicing. I do not have my Repair Manual handy right now, but it sounds odd that splicing must be done.

You could go to a Lexus or Toyota parts dept and get a look at the diagrams etc to see what is involved. Likely one of the mechanics has removed a shifter and can give you a first hand description of what is involved. I have found most parts and service depts very helpful.

I have done this exact mod and it does involve splicing the wires but just be careful because they are very short and there is little room to work with them. It looks great and works great and only took like 30 minutes to install.

actually, the price is just for the shifter and no installation. is that too expensive?

no installation included. im buying it online.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom