For Sale LX470 Phoenix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. LX470

Greetings!
Long time lurker since I got my LX450 10 years ago.

As apparently many others are, I too am looking to upgrade to a 100 series. This one has been advertised for several weeks but I haven't seen or driven. Photos good, records are extensive, but appear to be two pricey conditions to consider. Needs new Skid Control ECU, and VSC Light. From the limited searching both of these appear to be significant.

Any thoughts?

Greetings!
Long time lurker since I got my LX450 10 years ago.

As apparently many others are, I too am looking to upgrade to a 100 series. This one has been advertised for several weeks but I haven't seen or driven. Photos good, records are extensive, but appear to be two pricey conditions to consider. Needs new Skid Control ECU, and VSC Light. From the limited searching both of these appear to be significant.

Any thoughts?
Don’t do it.

Thanks for the definitive response. I was looking for confirmation and possibly listening to what anyone had to say about these systems. I have read about them through posts here, and unless I heard otherwise wasn't going to pursue this one.

I'll give my $0.02; I think the 100 series market is incredibly inflated, and what you're getting is a time capsule that's locked into (in this case) 14 year old technology. Too many of the features are integrated in such a way that it's not feasible or practical to bring up to modern standards. I'll wait for the flocks of "tesla screen" or reverse engineer the wiring harness to chime in but it's not worth it. Everyone's needs are different, but for close to $20k out the door and over 200k miles, you can do A LOT better price wise if you're simply looking for a 100. Sure, they can go a lot of miles, but that all comes with cost. How about some more information about your needs or what you're looking for?

Thanks for the 2cents.
Yes, $20k, 200k miles for 15 yr old vehicle. Not to be taken lightly. Market seems inflated. There have been news reports that many people are looking for used cars now and not new. Although probably true, I'm not sure that explains higher prices in this specific market. But with general price appreciation it contributes here too.
I'm retired and have never owned a new car in my life. I don't need luxury, but I can afford to own more than an 200k mile 1997 lx450 that is NO looker. If I kick off tomorrow, what's the first thing the kids will do? Buy new cars. Why shouldn't I upgrade? We don't do a lot of driving, but do roadtrip western US, and offroading to get to where the animals are at various times of the year... I've scraped up the 450 on just about all the usual spots driving various AZ trails. And that's what I'll do with the lc100/470. I just want something newer, nicer, better ac and hopefully doesn't pull as much to the right. And with any luck won't sag the AHC when I'm out too far in the rough.

How about this one?

Thanks for the 2cents.
Yes, $20k, 200k miles for 15 yr old vehicle. Not to be taken lightly. Market seems inflated. There have been news reports that many people are looking for used cars now and not new. Although probably true, I'm not sure that explains higher prices in this specific market. But with general price appreciation it contributes here too.
I'm retired and have never owned a new car in my life. I don't need luxury, but I can afford to own more than an 200k mile 1997 lx450 that is NO looker. If I kick off tomorrow, what's the first thing the kids will do? Buy new cars. Why shouldn't I upgrade? We don't do a lot of driving, but do roadtrip western US, and offroading to get to where the animals are at various times of the year... I've scraped up the 450 on just about all the usual spots driving various AZ trails. And that's what I'll do with the lc100/470. I just want something newer, nicer, better ac and hopefully doesn't pull as much to the right. And with any luck won't sag the AHC when I'm out too far in the rough.

How about this one?

looks good at first glance...

Just be wise and watch the market closely. With the to-be announced demise of the LC in the USA, prices could spike and stay high afterwards.

I got my LX four years ago before the market started going nuts, and it is worth more now that what I paid back in December 2016.

How about this one?

IMO - $19K+ is 06/07 kinda money - at least bone stock. If I am paying $19K for an 04 it needs to be sub 100K miles/single owner/doc'd maintenance history or it would need to be pretty heavily modified (powdercoat rims and blacked out emblems dont really count as that)

Guess it depends on your budget and expectations.

Some advice was given to me here that I appreciated. Who cares if the market is over priced or under priced? If you don't ever plan to sell it - and just enjoy it - buy what you like and can afford - and have fun. In the end, the difference in price - whether this truck is worth $20K or $17K - is just background noise.

If the pandemic teaches us anything it is this - life is short, and for the living. Enjoy it.

IMO - $19K+ is 06/07 kinda money - at least bone stock. If I am paying $19K for an 04 it needs to be sub 100K miles/single owner/doc'd maintenance history or it would need to be pretty heavily modified (powdercoat rims and blacked out emblems dont really count as that)

Guess it depends on your budget and expectations.
Prices are climbing. From my recent experience, your expectations for a $19k 04 with those requirements vanished at least 8 weeks ago.

I'm trying to help someone source (nationwide) an 03+ sub-150k mile LX for under or at $15k that isn't a heap, and they aren't available anymore, even through my connections network.

Thanks to all. I bought it.

Responding to those above:
The price is within my budget and from following prices for a month or so nationwide seems ok. Here a grand, there a grand, I kept the last one for 10 years, so resale is not important.
Wasn't one owner, but has been driven very little last five years. Rides nice. From what I could see of the undercarriage up on the hoist, it may have never seen any dirt. AHC works. Fluid looked like about 8-9 ticks between high and low excursions. No warning lights, everything I could test worked except a door lock which he is going to fix. It does have an under tow-hitch installed but not from current owner, so who know what was towed or how often.
The black powder-coating and bright white paint certainly makes it a standout. (insert your favorite emoji here) But all I really required was not a dark color to lessen the AZ heat soak. I just hope some of my hunting buddies will still ride with me.

I'll probably have the dealer check it out and see if they can find anything horrible I missed.

pictures later.

Congrats on the purchase!!!!

Now that the business side is out of the way, let's talk about the pleasure side. The AHC is incredibly easy to service and should be done promptly if there's no record of it. It really is a great system that should be kept operational as long as possible. There's a couple great write ups on here about how to go about it.

I found after purchasing mine, that it was very solid, yet I still felt the need for some long confidence runs; 2000k miles in a few weeks of interstate driving and it really needed nothing. Things will come up here and there but as long as you service it and stay on top of maintenance you should be good.

Mine needs a lot of exhaust work. No rust, just leaks and age have me wanting to do the WHOLE thing from the manifolds back. A/C condenser is leaking, that's really it.

I just hope some of my hunting buddies will still ride with me

Funny thing about that; last year during 3rd rifle in CO, after my buddies "built" Rubi broke down, we all piled in the bone stock LX. After 3 days of ice road trucking, and utter fascination about the capability of a stock 18 year old vehicle, a Rubicon and a Tundra were replaced with a 100.

Enjoy the new ride!

Thanks, IH8cali.
Yes, looking through the posts on here now for AHC. Will get to it shortly. After a few days of driving nothing seems out of the ordinary with the 470, so I'll be working on cleaning up the 450 to sell it.

Prices have definitely gone up since beginning of 2019. End of January last year I test drove a half dozen LX’s and LC’s from 99-04 in southern CA. All had 175-250k and we’re priced below 10k. I pinned a few of them that drove well against each other and got two of them down to $6k. Didn’t move on either for a few days and then had one (01 lx with 178k), at a private dealer, call me and said “I need to move this vehicle, make me any offer”. I asked if he would take $3.5k and he said yes.

I went out and bought a new tundra the next day.

Deep down I knew I probably wouldn’t buy a 15-20 year old vehicle because I had a newborn at the time and my wife wouldn’t have allowed it due to modern safety standards and older vehicle reliability (I know about their good ratings vs. tundra front crash rating). But I really wanted a 100 series and to see how good of a deal I could get.

A few takeaways from this story. 1) I can say with quite a bit of certainty that there’s no way I could get a deal like that today; prices have gone up way too far. 2) there are deals out there; you may just have to wait for them. 3) there are very few days that go buy that I don’t regret having not purchased both the lx and the tundra. If you want the car; go buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom