LX470 leaking shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,

While crawling around underneath my new-to-me LX470 yesterday, I noticed that 3 of the 4 shocks are leaking quite badly.

Q1. Is this AHC fluid? Other than keeping an eye on fluid levels, is there any immediate cause for alarm.

Q2. If I replace the shocks, should I replace the springs at the same time, assuming they’re original?

Many thanks

Michael

Hi everyone,

While crawling around underneath my new-to-me LX470 yesterday, I noticed that 3 of the 4 shocks are leaking quite badly.

Q1. Is this AHC fluid? Other than keeping an eye on fluid levels, is there any immediate cause for alarm.

Q2. If I replace the shocks, should I replace the springs at the same time, assuming they’re original?

Many thanks

Michael

Hi, welcome.

1. Yeah, AHC fluid (hopefully, at least). No cuase for alarm, but it likely means you're over-pressure and need to adjust the torsion bars a little. 30mm socket and a breaker bar is all you need.
2. The question you should be asking is if you should replace the shocks - to which the answer is "probably not". Weeping is normal if you're over-pressure. Step one is to measure pressures (done via a laptop or one of the more advanced scan tools). Step two is to adjust. Step three is to clean. Step 4 is to watch over time to see if the leaking continues. The shocks are relatively "lifetime" components. They can wear out, but that's not very common. The "shock" from a functional perspective in an AHC vehicle is a small bulb filled with nitrogen and a variable amount of AHC fluid. It's commonly called a "globe" and they wear out like a normal shock would. The thing that looks like a shock on AHC cars is really more of a hydraulic ram that just relays energy from the moving part of the wheel assembly to the globe (remote reservoir, essentially).

AHC is like a really advanced and robust remote reservoir shock setup... on steroids.

Read here: The ABCs of AHC - How to Measure, Flush, and Adjust all in one place - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/the-abcs-of-ahc-how-to-measure-flush-and-adjust-all-in-one-place.1211999/

Hi @astrolex , where in Australia are you?

Perth, WA.

Hello Everyone!

Looks like I'm also getting a weeping front shock, and I'm wondering if I can get some insight to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I have done the following on my AHC system:
1. Replaced all AHC globes through Impex OEM globes about a year (8k to 10 k miles ago). Ride quality now is still fairly normal, not jarring compare the way it was before the replacement.
2. Followed ABC of AHC. Did cross leveling, used TechStream to measure pressures. Cranked torsion bars to get the pressure in spec.
3. I just did some work for front shocks about 1 to 2 months ago, I replaced the OEM bushing and cushings, along with the o-rings where the hose connects the shocks.
4. After each work (globe replacement, and front shock bushing/Cushing replacements) I bled and flushed the AHC lines with brand new AHC fluids that came in the tin cans.

Prior to my most recent front shock bushing/cushing replacement, the front pressure was at around 6.5 with rear about 6.0
But after the front shock bushing/cushing replacement, flushing to get rid of air bubbles, it read the following: Front at 6.0 and rear at 5.5. There were a few times that the front would read at up to 6.0 while its raising from L to N, but then suddenly drop down to 2.4 in the end.

I also noticed a weeping leak from my passenger side shock, and I made sure it's not leaking from the top of the shock where the line connects to the shock.

When I initially cross leveling and getting the pressure right, I did have to crank the rosion bar on the driver's side, but not so much on the passenger side.

Do you have any suggestions on what's causing the leak? Should I crank up the torsion bar on the passenger side and lower the driver's side. I know the pressure is reading low, could it be caused by anything wrong in the AHC? or do I need to just loosen up the torsion bars? My AHC pump seems to continue to pump after the hight is reached, is this normal?

Apologize in advance for the long post, but I could really use your help!! Thank y'all so so much! Trying to get this figured out before my trip in two days.

Hello Everyone!

Looks like I'm also getting a weeping front shock, and I'm wondering if I can get some insight to make sure I'm not missing anything.
I have done the following on my AHC system:
1. Replaced all AHC globes through Impex OEM globes about a year (8k to 10 k miles ago). Ride quality now is still fairly normal, not jarring compare the way it was before the replacement.
2. Followed ABC of AHC. Did cross leveling, used TechStream to measure pressures. Cranked torsion bars to get the pressure in spec.
3. I just did some work for front shocks about 1 to 2 months ago, I replaced the OEM bushing and cushings, along with the o-rings where the hose connects the shocks.
4. After each work (globe replacement, and front shock bushing/Cushing replacements) I bled and flushed the AHC lines with brand new AHC fluids that came in the tin cans.

Prior to my most recent front shock bushing/cushing replacement, the front pressure was at around 6.5 with rear about 6.0
But after the front shock bushing/cushing replacement, flushing to get rid of air bubbles, it read the following: Front at 6.0 and rear at 5.5. There were a few times that the front would read at up to 6.0 while its raising from L to N, but then suddenly drop down to 2.4 in the end.

I also noticed a weeping leak from my passenger side shock, and I made sure it's not leaking from the top of the shock where the line connects to the shock.

When I initially cross leveling and getting the pressure right, I did have to crank the rosion bar on the driver's side, but not so much on the passenger side.

Do you have any suggestions on what's causing the leak? Should I crank up the torsion bar on the passenger side and lower the driver's side. I know the pressure is reading low, could it be caused by anything wrong in the AHC? or do I need to just loosen up the torsion bars? My AHC pump seems to continue to pump after the hight is reached, is this normal?

Apologize in advance for the long post, but I could really use your help!! Thank y'all so so much! Trying to get this figured out before my trip in two days.
I don't think you're missing anything. AHC shocks/rams can leak and need replacement. It's not common, but it does happen.

The low pressure could be from a leaking shock - I suppose. The pressure readings in techstream are only a moment's snapshot as the system is raising and then the value is held when it determines that it's "done" with either the front, rear or height accumulator.

When you hear the pump running after reaching the desired height, it's the pump filling the height accumulator again. The height accumulator stores pressurized hydraulic fluid for the next time you go to hit the up button on the height control switch.

A picture of the leak might help us gauge what you're talking about. Is this a slightly moist sheen on the shock? Or an active dribble that leaves large stains everywhere you go? Somewhere in between?

@suprarx7nut thank you so much for answering!!

Well, after I double checked the pressures (Front 6.2 and rear 5.6 with accumulator Press at 10.3), did a short 10 minute drive around the block, changed the height up and down at different settings about 7 to 10 times, and let the car sit overnight, there was no sign of leaking the following morning.

However, after my ~30 minute drive to and back from work, and around town and highway for about 20 to 30 miles, I noticed weeping/sweatiness on the back side of the shock. I suspect driving and road vibration is what causes the leak.

Well, I didn't see any actual fluids dripping or leaving a puddle. It's mainly a moist sheen on the shock. I tried to take some pics tonight, but couldn't get a good lighting to really show it.

Does that further confirm the shock being bad?

Do you think cranking up the passenger side torsion bar would help?

@suprarx7nut thank you so much for answering!!

Well, after I double checked the pressures (Front 6.2 and rear 5.6 with accumulator Press at 10.3), did a short 10 minute drive around the block, changed the height up and down at different settings about 7 to 10 times, and let the car sit overnight, there was no sign of leaking the following morning.

However, after my ~30 minute drive to and back from work, and around town and highway for about 20 to 30 miles, I noticed weeping/sweatiness on the back side of the shock. I suspect driving and road vibration is what causes the leak.

Well, I didn't see any actual fluids dripping or leaving a puddle. It's mainly a moist sheen on the shock. I tried to take some pics tonight, but couldn't get a good lighting to really show it.

Does that further confirm the shock being bad?

Do you think cranking up the passenger side torsion bar would help?
Bad shock? No, not necessarily.

Cranking torsion bar? No, I wouldn't.

The manual specifically calls out weeping as ok. The shocks can weep slightly and be totally fine. Just like a hydraulic ram on a car lift or a hydraulic jack.

Traditional shocks rely on a nearly perfect seal of the shock body to properly absorb energy. As soon as it leaks, it's toast (normally). In AHC, that happens in the globe, not the shock body.

Bad shock? No, not necessarily.

Cranking torsion bar? No, I wouldn't.

The manual specifically calls out weeping as ok. The shocks can weep slightly and be totally fine. Just like a hydraulic ram on a car lift or a hydraulic jack.

Traditional shocks rely on a nearly perfect seal of the shock body to properly absorb energy. As soon as it leaks, it's toast (normally). In AHC, that happens in the globe, not the shock body.
I see! Thank you so so much.
With a 2500 miles one week road trip coming up, leaving tomorrow, this new issue really made me wonder if I need to cancel the trip and deal with this instead.
If weeping is acceptable, I might just bring some extra AHC fluids with me and check the level every once a while then.

Thank you so much for getting back to me!!

I see! Thank you so so much.
With a 2500 miles one week road trip coming up, leaving tomorrow, this new issue really made me wonder if I need to cancel the trip and deal with this instead.
If weeping is acceptable, I might just bring some extra AHC fluids with me and check the level every once a while then.

Thank you so much for getting back to me!!
Post up pictures of what you're seeing.

Post up pictures of what you're seeing.
Not sure if you can actually see. I shouldn’t have but I did clean everything up prior. Then I took it out for a drive, about 10 miles total. Half of it was on highway. Looks like the weep in mainly on the back side of the shock. Looks like it’s seeping from one spot, and just weeping/trickling down the shock.
Color of the fluid seeping out looks kinda funky or different from the fluids I used….but I’m color blind….

IMG_0882.jpeg

IMG_0881.jpeg

IMG_0879.jpeg

IMG_0884.jpeg

IMG_0883.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, after loading all my camping stuff in the car and letting is park for about 3 hours. I noticed there’s more fluids slowing weeping down. I don’t see active drips, but don’t know if I’m ready to embark on the 2500 mile road trip or just to cancel it at this point.

New pressure reading after loaded most of my stuff. The rear pressures is a bit high, but the temp connector is still connected, so might actually be 0.5-1 MPa lower according to the AHC cheat sheet by @YOTAMD

With good pressure and continued weep… :(

IMG_0885.jpeg

IMG_0886.jpeg

IMG_0887.jpeg

IMG_0890.jpeg

Last edited:
Hmm. Interesting. That pressure is fine.

What color is your coolant? Green or yellow by chance?

That doesn't look like AHC fluid I normally see, but it does have that neon coolant look to it.

If that is AHC fluid, that's not enough leak to concern me for a trip right now (I might be a risk taker, lol), but I would probably replace that shock when you get a chance - again if it is in fact AHC fluid.

I've had multiple trips sidetracked by alternator issues in the 100. Two different 100 series, at that. And currently have a starter problem that's got my LX stuck in place at home right now. I guess my point is that if your goal is to eliminate all possibilities of a road trip gone wrong, that's a hard thing to do in a 20 year old car - even if it's a Land Cruiser.

Hmm. Interesting. That pressure is fine.

What color is your coolant? Green or yellow by chance?

That doesn't look like AHC fluid I normally see, but it does have that neon coolant look to it.

If that is AHC fluid, that's not enough leak to concern me for a trip right now (I might be a risk taker, lol), but I would probably replace that shock when you get a chance - again if it is in fact AHC fluid.

I've had multiple trips sidetracked by alternator issues in the 100. Two different 100 series, at that. And currently have a starter problem that's got my LX stuck in place at home right now. I guess my point is that if your goal is to eliminate all possibilities of a road trip gone wrong, that's a hard thing to do in a 20 year old car - even if it's a Land Cruiser.
well. the coolant I use is the toyota red, and have to dilute it with distilled water half and half. So probably not that.

I see. I'm definitely contemplating if I should still go or just stay put and use this time to get the shock replaced.

I totally understand, there will always be something to fix or work on with this 2000 LX.

Thank you so so much again!!

well. the coolant I use is the toyota red, and have to dilute it with distilled water half and half. So probably not that.

I see. I'm definitely contemplating if I should still go or just stay put and use this time to get the shock replaced.

I totally understand, there will always be something to fix or work on with this 2000 LX.

Thank you so so much again!!
Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

1695511317614.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom