LX won’t shift out of 1st (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Replaced 15k ago with unit that had 130k on it. No problems after installing other than a P1700 code, cleared and would return shortly after. I thought I noticed it slipping from 2nd or 3rd the other day but it was brief and hasn’t reoccurred. Today driving along and it’s just staying in 1st even when I drop into L then to 2 or D, it won’t shift out of 2nd unless I press the 2nd Start button.

checked fluid levels and they looked fine. Not sure where else I should be checking for faults.

thanks in advance

20BDA3C0-D163-4780-8EE1-59C06F2004B9.png

Transmission shop said solenoids May be the culprit but I’m not getting an solenoid codes on the scanner (Blue Driver, may need a more comprehensive scanner). Wondering if I should replace all of them and go from there. :/

Not so fast. Which Valvoline fluid specifically? The 4 and 5 spds don't use identical fluid.

I had a shop do a transmission service on my vehicle, then it started slipping. I took it back and they said it was a solenoid that needed replacing. I had already pulled the codes and seen that the truck was throwing a code pointing to the solenoid, but I (and others here) were convinced it was low fluid. I got the fluid exchanged and set at the proper level elsewhere and haven't had an issue since. I don't know what fluid the first shop used, so it may have been a combination of low and wrong fluid that caused my issues.

Edit: I also experienced some other weird symptoms: like yours, one time it was stuck in first. Sometimes it would kick on downshifts, and sometimes it would slip.

From what I can tell the fluid isn’t low, if anything it might be a quart too high judging others by the dipstick but it’s hard to tell.

also should I use another ATF?

Yes. I think many of us would recommend a full fluid flush and refill with the proper Toyota atf. To be sure, spend the money and get it from your dealer, or get the part number from your dealer and buy identical (not compatible, identical) stuff online.

So a few things I found, firstly a sensor harness was disconnected, I reseated it then moved on to drain fluid.

When draining I discovered I was a quart over, so I filled to correct level.

After all that fired it up and then st drive with zero issue.

Wonderful, glad it got resolved. It's always too bad we need to religiously double check the work on our own rigs when someone else works on them. This is a good example of why it is necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom