LX vs TLC ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
hiyall:
still looking for a nice 80, maybe 100. But may widen the hunt a bit for a LX450/470.
Besides the gadgets, I've read that the LX has a "softer" suspension, but what does that really mean in practical term? No good for wheelin' ? If so, easy to improve perhaps ?
And doesn't the LX470 have a adjustable height suspension? One would think this might be a plus. It's not?
Any info and comment much appreciated!
thanks
Eric

if you plan on replacing the suspension, the cushier ride wont matter, ome is supposed to be a far better ride than stock.

as far as the pracitcal differnces throvald is on when you are comparing the 1fz series to a lexus lx450, the 470 is comparable to the uzj 100 series. if you just want a vehicle that will take a good dirt road and some moderate wheeling either will work. if you want to build up at all the lx450/fzj80's have more parts availabel for modification. as far as the adjustable ride height goes not with dealing with ifs in my opinion.
Dave

With regards to the LX, it has a 20% softer suspension. In practical terms ther is about 1/2" lower ride height than the 80 series LC and a cushier ride. The only difference is the springs and shocks, which you will want to change to OME (old man emu).
Cheers,
Sean

Actually in the case of the 80 vs LX450, the OEM springs are the same part numbers. The OEM shock part numbers are different. That's it.

D-

Ah ha.
Sean

well, then, for the 450 if it's only the shocks that are different I don't imagine the ride should be very different of a feel compared to the 80

how about the 470? what's with the adjustable height and damping? how does that feel offroad ?

thanx
eric

Eric,
Both the 80 series (LC and the LX450) will benefit dramatically from the addition of OME springs and matching OME shocks.
-B-

well, OK, point well taken, an OME change down the road is worthwhile for both.

In the meantime,though, with stock vehicles, how do the LX and LC compare on the road and off? Anybody out there with a stock LX that, say, could not keep up with a LC in the boonies, or is that only for hairy stuff and one would not notice under normal driving conditions?

If we are only talking shocks (450), I imagine that yes the difference would be most noticeable off-road.

Or another way to put it: if I drive the rig mostly on the road, and take it occasionally on the beach, on dirt roads in Baja, and skiing once a year, but never to Moab or Rubicon, will I be OK with an LX?

Any other feedback on real-world differences?

C'mon guys, don't be shy!
[Or are the LX owners only taking their rigs to the country club anyway and off-road performance is a moot point? <BEG>]

thx
Eric

[Or are the LX owners only taking their rigs to the country club anyway and off-road performance is a moot point?

:mad: Grrr...While mine does go to the mall and yacht club with some regularity, as well as the demanding interstate to Birmingham and Atlanta, she DOES spend 40% of her time towing/launching the boat, the 4-wheeler, sloshing in the mud, pushing weeds out of the way (see previous thread... :-*), climbing washed out clay hills (little ones), and pulling buddies' jeeps / monteros / durangos out of mudholes...all with OEM suspension BUT with 295's.

SO....if you ain't gonna do Moab-type stuff......LX is perfectly fine. PLUS, you get the 'snoot-factor' of a Lexus with the flexibility of CDan parts!

i drive an lx450 its a 1996 stock everything really (for the moment) and i must say that although i havent yet drivin an fzj80 on the high way at high speeds i think the lx450 is a little too soft but that my be do to its a 96 and wear factor. My dad however just bought a 2000 lx470 and i think the suspention system is pretty cool its not a huge diff but it is enough to do some help. If your going to be doing alot of on road driving and the occasional off road driving then i think the lx470 is a great choice depending on if that $40,000 is in your range

Recently bought a '97 LX w/ 86K miles. PO was a total mall cruiser, yet the stock shocks were shot, even felt dangerous - llike you were in a boat. Put the OME N73/N74E shocks on and it made a world of difference. Plans down the road are for the matching OME springs that firm up the ride but add very little lift, but it's just fine the way it is for Baja type driving. I had a '96 LC before and struggled a bit at the idea of driving a "Lexus". I have zero regrets. It is an awesome machine. I would say worry less about whether its an LC or an LX, and just pick the lowest mileage one in the best condition you can afford (w/lockers, of course), and start enjoying. Good luck!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom