LX Starter Removal & Reinstall (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a step by step detail of starter removal and re-install? Looks like I may have to replace existing one.

Secure the vehicle and remove the US Driver Side tire, then the rubber splash guard covering the starter.

Unplug connection and unscrew the nut holding the connector to the contacts.

Remove two 17mm bolts (top bolt threads facing the rear and bottom bolt thread facing the front). Then pull the starter out toward the front and then down and out. It's that simple...

I just replaced mine with a Toyota OEM 2.0kw.

FSM really helps because it has pictures. I just bought my first hard copy and it was $100 well spent.

Starter Motor Contacts This can be found in the FAQ section under maintenance section. Logical place to look.

Takes about 45 minutes. I have 315's which helps.

Thank you all.
I'm still new to this forum. Didn't see the FAQ section.

Thanks again.

Secure the vehicle and remove the US Driver Side tire, then the rubber splash guard covering the starter.

Remove two 17mm bolts (top bolt threads facing the rear and bottom bolt thread facing the front). Then pull the starter out toward the front and then down and out. It's that simple...

FSM really helps because it has pictures. I just bought my first hard copy and it was $100 well spent.

No need to remove the tire, just crank it all the way over. I used it as a brace to lean against, made it comfy. :hillbilly:

Easier with bigger tires and a lift. Way easier with a 1" (or higher) body lift.

Would add unhook the battery as step 1

A little off topic, but are all of the available starters interchangeable. For example, mine has the cold weather package starter or whatever it is. Can I replace it with a non-cold weather starter? Do they all have the same connectors and such?

A little off topic, but are all of the available starters interchangeable. For example, mine has the cold weather package starter or whatever it is. Can I replace it with a non-cold weather starter? Do they all have the same connectors and such?

Yes..

The starters all use same connectors and bolt up interchangeably, but I don't believe the contacts/plunger are. There are 3 models of starters, a 1.4, a 2.0, and a 2.2. The 2.2 is the cold weather guy.

Why would you want to replace a cold weather starter with a smaller one? Most people go the other way if they can....

The starters all use same connectors and bolt up interchangeably, but I don't believe the contacts/plunger are. There are 3 models of starters, a 1.4, a 2.0, and a 2.2. The 2.2 is the cold weather guy.

Why would you want to replace a cold weather starter with a smaller one? Most people go the other way if they can....

Well.....the starter that's on there is starting to act up. I'm pretty sure it's the contacts. Here's the catch, the one that's on there isn't a Toyota starter. I believe it's an Autozone starter. The sticker on it I believe says World Class or something like that. It also has a number on the sticker and that number matches the part number for the Autozone starter with the cold weather package. I'm going to pull it off and take it to Autozone and see if they will exchange it since it should have a lifetime warranty on it. The problem is that I didn't buy the starter and have no idea who did so they might not honor the warranty. If they don't honor the warranty, I would like to find a Toyota starter for it instead of buying another junky one. The number that is on the starter is 17186 which is this starter I believe: Duralast Import/Starter (17186) | Starter | 1996 Lexus LX450 6 Cylinders 4.5L SFI | AutoZone.com_

Anybody happen to know the price for a reman starter from Cdan?

Well.....the starter that's on there is starting to act up. I'm pretty sure it's the contacts. Here's the catch, the one that's on there isn't a Toyota starter. I believe it's an Autozone starter. The sticker on it I believe says World Class or something like that. It also has a number on the sticker and that number matches the part number for the Autozone starter with the cold weather package.

While unlikely, it's possible that someone rebuilt the Toyota starter with Autozone parts, and stuck the Autozone sticker on there.

The shop that rebuilt my starter (under the P/O) removed the Toyota sticker, and put their own on it. (Or the sticker just fell off, either way no Toyota sticker, only some rebuild company.)

It may be cheaper to get a used starter, and rebuild it with new contacts and plunger. I did that for the :princess: truck when her starter started acting up, so I could rebuild it off the truck and then just swap 'em.

While unlikely, it's possible that someone rebuilt the Toyota starter with Autozone parts, and stuck the Autozone sticker on there.

The shop that rebuilt my starter (under the P/O) removed the Toyota sticker, and put their own on it. (Or the sticker just fell off, either way no Toyota sticker, only some rebuild company.)

It may be cheaper to get a used starter, and rebuild it with new contacts and plunger. I did that for the :princess: truck when her starter started acting up, so I could rebuild it off the truck and then just swap 'em.

If Autozone honors the warranty on the starter, then I will gladly put another Autozone reman in there. Even if it fails in the future, it's easy enough to change out that I don't mind doing it if it means a free starter. If I can't get them to exchange it, then I will probably look for a used starter.

Go Toyota OEM. The 2.0kw part number is 28100-66060 and will run you about $250 with the core charge. Much better than anything else you can buy in my opinion. Then just have a shop rebuild your old one and have it as a spare. That's what I'm doing. I replaced the alternator and the fusable link as well.

I just did the replacement. It was a PITA getting it off/out - an impact wrench would definitely help. But a lot easier to install. I took the opportunity to clean the contact points on the power cable and put a touch of dielectric grease on the connections.

I couldn't find the torque specs anywhere, but the FSM said 29 ft/lb which didn't seem like much for a 17mm bolt. However one threads into the starter housing and probably isn't that strong, cast metal? So I put a couple drops of blue loctite. If anyone has any info otherwise, please share.

I removed mine using 3x 1/2 long extensions, one short, two cardanic joints, and a breaker bar
You do it from the top of the engine diagonally between the fuel pump and the battery for the upper nut.
Through the wheel well with extensions enough to get outside the wheel arch for the bottom bolt.
Make sure you keep angles as low as possible on the joints.

It was a PITA getting it off/out - an impact wrench would definitely help.

IMG_0897.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom