lubricant mixing - semi synthetic (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok...kinda dumb question but I want to be sure. I'm rebuilding the axle on my 70 and have everything apart & cleaned...I bought some Valvoline semi-synthetic wheel bearing grease to re-pack the bearings, hubs etc...(mainly because the only other brand my local autocrap store had was a cheap no-name with 5" of dust on the can)

If I have some old non-synthetic grease left in my Birf's (they were the only thing I did'nt completely dissasemble), is that OK? I got as much of the old grease out of the cage as i could w/o separating the birfs from the inners...I know you can't normally mix synthetic w/ non synthetic...what do the smart people think?

thx

Any lube is better than no lube. I'm sure it will not cause a catastrofic birf failure.

i have seen mixed types of grease ending up like water in very short periods of time...
you should always use compatable grease. there is a type (i am in the house and off to river shiver shortly so i do not have time to check) that i have found works great with both...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom