LPG (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I have a FJ73 cruiser with a 3F 4 litre petrol motor witch was rebuilt about 5 years ago but has only got about 60,000 on it I am hoping to run at tuff truck next year
icon_twisted.gif
so I wanting to get rid of the problems that carbie have on hills so im thing of putting it on gas. As im getting only just over 300 km's to the tank about 70 litres with my 35's it's rather thirsty also I don't have the money for an engine swap so this the alterative. So im interested in anyone running gas on a carbie motor is the gas reliable and worth the cost and I have heard that when there dual fuel they can not be tuned well for both its one or the other or in the middle. So should I just get a dedicated gas system so its tuned right to get the most out the motor. Im not worried about gas alibility as its not a touring truck.

Regards,

Nathan

Mate i had a fj 75 with carb 3f i put it on gas (lpg) with the gov rebate $3000 for the lpg installed $3000 back from the gov....sweeet .The only probs i used to really have was if i went up a near vertical sand dune and stalled then trying to start would give me hasels ,you shouldnt really have to much of a problem as the carbys float system is designed different way to say some holleys etc but u can get kits for holleys for 4wding .For the lpg i found it was nice on the road same sort of kms per tank but half the price (thumbs up) but i found when 4wding it lacked in heaps of power/ torque so i had it tuned up to feed heaps of lpg advanced the timing cos the cant pre ignite on lpg but it just didnt seem to hold the revs as good as petrol.
this was on petrol YouTube - landcruiser fj75 jump 1

Hi I have a FJ73 cruiser with a 3F 4 litre petrol motor witch was rebuilt about 5 years ago but has only got about 60,000 on it I am hoping to run at tuff truck next year
icon_twisted.gif
so I wanting to get rid of the problems that carbie have on hills so im thing of putting it on gas. As im getting only just over 300 km's to the tank about 70 litres with my 35's it's rather thirsty also I don't have the money for an engine swap so this the alterative. So im interested in anyone running gas on a carbie motor is the gas reliable and worth the cost and I have heard that when there dual fuel they can not be tuned well for both its one or the other or in the middle. So should I just get a dedicated gas system so its tuned right to get the most out the motor. Im not worried about gas alibility as its not a touring truck.

Regards,

Nathan

What carb do you have on the 3F at present?
The factory Aisan carb is the best you will get. If its not right get it rebuilt,you wont be sorry.
Its difficult to get a carbed engine running properly on both fuels because they each need different timing settings.
IMO ,you would be better off with a diesel,they will run at all angles

I have the standard carbie on its been rebuilt and modified to handle slops a lot better but its still not good enough for for the toughest 4x4 event in oz.... Like I said I don't have the money for a engine swap so this should hopefully be as good as fuel injection for the slops and solve some problems.

Regards,

Nathan

hummm, i have never had a problem with a good running asian factory carb, steep hill climb, down hill, side hill the thing ran like a diesel...

must be something not quite right...

Will it idle when its on two wheels all but on its side or when it standing on its end....! No.... No carbie can do that....

i had two left tires off the ground in a test run just above idle, i turned into the roll and it idles right back onto all four...
so
yes it can.

can it idle with the front tires off the ground? not sure but under power it can and shove the clutch in and it will drop to an idle while gravity takes it course.

a holley, a rochester, both are s*** off road. (and the main reason Chevy transplants suck in cruisers.)

I fun duel fuel on my middy, gas 90% of the time. I find it good, with HEI, extractors and a snorkel I have good low down torque and get reasonable fuel economy, no probs with 35'' pedes can still use low 2nd. Hills and side slopes dont worry it one bit. Only trouble I have had is when I ran the batteries right down winching on a night run I couldnt get the car to start as there wasnt enough juice to open up the solenoids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom