Lowe's cheapo trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Some more work done on it today.

Cut the old poop pipe rack off.
IMG-7944.jpg

Made some new angled uprights out of 1.25" sq steel, 1/8" wall

IMG-7947.jpg

Welded some long pieces in between...

IMG-7949.jpg

IMG-7948.jpg

Welded on a cheap 20lb propane bottle holder and ammo box mount
IMG-7952.jpg
IMG-7951.jpg
IMG-7950.jpg

Ammo box mount was part of an old winch fairlead plate

With a ammo box mounted. next i'll get some parts painted, remount my cooking fold down table and see how $$$ aluminum sheet is.
IMG-7954.jpg

Looks much better!
Sube powered Baja?
How middle is "Middle OR"? I spent all of my grade school summers in Powell Butte.

Looks much better!
Sube powered Baja?
How middle is "Middle OR"? I spent all of my grade school summers in Powell Butte.

Suzuki Samurai powered Baja. Kennedy Engineering makes adapters for EVERYTHING! It’s real close to running.

I live in Redmond, so just down the road from Powell Butte. Pretty sure I have the only 70 series in Redmond, all the other cool kids live in Bend.

Samurai power is an interesting choice. Not a huge amount of power, but sure is nice and light! Much less likely to tear up the transaxle too. T2 or T1 t/a? You can probably tell from my avatar that I've spent more than a little time around ACVW's.

Redmond was where we used to do all of our shopping. Only went to Bend if there was no other choice. Whole town has changed though. So has Bend. That RR over-crossing over hwy 97 used to be MILES south of town!
The best auto parts store that I've ever seen used to be in this building: Google Maps I don't think that they've been in business for almost 30 years. The Joann Fabrics was the Safeway. My Aunt's husband used to own the Highland Vet Hospital. Clyde Quigley (RIP) owned the Coast to Coast on the SW corner of 6th & Evergreen. I see Les Schwab's hasn't moved, that's the same. Though can't say the same for their HQ. Looks like Bar 7S is gone, not a surprise, I don't think Dave's son and his cousin really wanted it. Interesting that both Pyrotect and Fuel Safe are in Redmond. There's a story buried in there somewhere. Looks like my old dentist, Dr. Higbee, retired. Wow, that was a trip down memory lane!

I was going to ask how the welds looked on that trailer on initial purchase day, but you're waaay past that point. Does the next trailer up (in weight capacity) have better (heavier) build? I wonder if that would be a better start point for anyone not wanting to do quite so much fab work?
I like this thread though.

I was going to ask how the welds looked on that trailer on initial purchase day, but you're waaay past that point. Does the next trailer up (in weight capacity) have better (heavier) build? I wonder if that would be a better start point for anyone not wanting to do quite so much fab work?
I like this thread though.

The welds are definitely poor, and after adding the full length tongue I reinforced and re did several welds in the frame. If I were to do over, I would start with a Harbor Freight frame and modify that. At the time of my initial purchase, I just wanted something I could get my tent on fast and go camp.

Samurai power is an interesting choice. Not a huge amount of power, but sure is nice and light! Much less likely to tear up the transaxle too. T2 or T1 t/a? You can probably tell from my avatar that I've spent more than a little time around ACVW's.

I think I figured the Samurai engine weighs 1/2 or maybe 60% of the stock VW. I have one 3.88 and one 4.12 T1 transaxles.
She’s going on the back burner for a little while so I can get my LC and this trailer more camping ready.

Mentally the jump from modifying an existing trailer to building one from scratch is large, but the actuality isn't very far apart when you have to back-track a lot on the existing trailer.

We ran 5.14's in our T1's until those were breaking teeth of fthe puny pinion gears and we moved to 5.38 early IRS bus T2's. I can say that I flat towed that dune buggy faster (~80) than it could go by itself (~65). Easy to be going into third by the far cross-walk of a large intersection, but it did stuff like this with ease.

Last edited:
I completely understand the need to have something that works and build from there.

Got the tent back on, wired new lights that hopefully will be easier to see than the other ones. Also mounted a propane bottle and bought an adapter hose so I can run my camp stoves off of it.

4C36CE77-BA02-4A7A-BEFE-968C17FB286A.jpeg
A29337C8-9390-461A-A22F-03406FD4CEBE.jpeg
4ACD0CA5-2549-4435-A701-8C98FE91B077.jpeg

Something that's been bugging me for while is that the rear supports don't have much rigidity in what they're welded to as compared to the front supports. Until now I've not had a solution to suggest. It isn't that what's there won't support the weight, its more that going down the road those ends of the bed rails are going to vibrate and wiggle, which will eventually fail the welds at the base of the last vertical support.

With these closer detail pics of the rear I would suggest a piece of square tubing be welded under and behind (forward of as facing it from the rear) that lower-rear angle piece. Set it's length such that it extends out to the sides as far as you're comfortable with, and then bring some diagonals up from that outer end to just under those rear supports. I can see that tube becoming the rear fender support if fenders are in the plans. As to tubing size for the horizontal, I'd go as big as the legs of the angle at the least. Outer dimension will matter more than wall thickness in this situation. The diagonals can be smaller if that works better, but go up in wall thickness if you do.

I bought the same trailer and did a similar build. I plan to add a solar set up with lights all around, fridge, slide out kitchen, and enclose the entire trailer.

View attachment 2005050

View attachment 2005051

View attachment 2005052
Hi, just purchased this same trailer and getting the axle flipped. Does anyone have details on this wheel/tire combo...this is exactly the setup i want. i plan to keep the fenders in the stock position like this one. i assume no spacers were needed on this setup. they look like 14"? Any help is much appreciated! thanks!

You guys are building these for/ using them for road trips primarily? Getting to campgrounds and such?

I'd be wary of the frames, axles, bearings, tongues or... everything I guess, standing up to serous trail use even with light loads.

I have two hard used M416s and had an M101 too. On some runs I have had all three of them along behind our support rigs. Loaded with fuel and gear. They do great, but anything any lighter duty would not survive. Those Lowes trailers and anything similar are just not meant for the stresses that off road use subject them to. You might be surprised how easy it it to flip a narrow trailer dragging it over thick brush or down steep river banks too. In fact, one of my416s is awaiting major repair after flipping while being towed empty. :(

Mark...

Last edited:
@SKULLYOTA I dig the "Alien/s" reference sticker. I think there are/were tshirts available as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom