Lowe's cheapo trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have an opinion on modifying one of Lowe's 1750lb 3.5x5' trailers for a RTT base?

654102355003_09428069.jpg

They're about the same load/price as an HF trailer kit, but has some actual sides and is a little more enclosed. I'd mount some taller rubber, RTT rack, and some simple storage bins.

They seem to be sturdy little units from what I saw at my local store, anyone here played with one for camping?

A buddy of mine had one and really liked it. Ended up selling though to get a full blown camper.

bought one of these yesterday, already started modifying it. I did an SOA by flipping the axle, then realized that trailer axles are meant to go a certain way because of the bend in it. So I ordered new perches from Etrailer and i'll do it right.

Also removed the fenders and started hunting down 5on4.5 to 6on5.5 adapters to run some yota wheels with 285's

IMG_5093.JPG

IMG_5094.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

Also gonna pick up some LED tail lights that'll work with 24V from Amazon:

71gRlbHwr2L._SL1500_.jpg

Then....rack for my RTT, lunetter ring/pintle hitch, maybe stand alone 12V system with panel and battery.

Got the tail lights and the SoA on the axle fixed. Wheel adapters for 5on4.5 to 6 on 5.5 were supposed to be here but they’re super late (EBay)....

CDF7E390-80C6-4BC7-A6E5-F57BC289AAFB.jpeg

The wheel adapters? i think they'll be fine. red locktite!

cool! what kind of mount did you use to attach your rtt? looks like the mounts they sell to put led light bars on tube bumpers, etc.
Thanks!

Neato!! I like your tail lights.

Also, I learned that I should have extended the 2" tubing for the tongue all the way to the rear of the trailer, like many others do. .at least the booger welds held together. But it is bent like a taco now! I have it partway disassembled for repair now. The first crossmember bent in the middle where the end of the tongue meets it

It may have allegedly been somewhat airborne while at the Oregon Dunes, the high winds in the evening made the exit dune to the staging area little rougher than when I went in lol, and required a full Larry Enticer send it to get back out.

IMG_6113.JPG

Had fun in the dunes, even a naturally aspirated, heavy old 1HZ pulls it and all the crap around pretty good on the dunes. I played it pretty safe and conservatively, didn't want to get stuck.

IMG_6091.JPG

IMG_2405.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

The last picture, took everything heavy we had (and the spare tires) to keep the annex room together in the wind.

Sand Lake?
I'm asking because it's the only OR Dunes OHV area that I've been on. Have spent some wonderful nights camped on the Treeline out there.

It was the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area, between Florence and Coos Bay (roughly). We camped at the “Umpqua Sand Camping” in what’s called the middle ohv area. The second night we camped at a nearby lake. The sand camping was too noisy and too windy.

At some point prior to hauling it to the coast, I made a fold down table. works ok. I also built a longer tongue that goes the entire length of the trailer now.

IMG-6017.jpg
IMG-6016.jpg
IMG-6015.jpg

The cheesy expanded metal that was used on the floor and sides was getting irritating with how bent and coming apart it was (poor welds) so I hacked and ground all of it out to make room for 1/8" aluminum panels. I also reinforced a lot of the welds while I was down there.

IMG-7909.jpg

IMG-7908.jpg

I ended up running a countersink-style bit into the lug holes on the back side of 2nd/3rd gen Tacoma wheels to get some more tire clearance from the trailer frame (learned this from having a Suzuki Samurai and running those wheels backwards for extra width!)

My Chinese LED taillights are already failing, 24V is not good for them lol. Going to run larger more traditional trailer lights and use 24V bulbs that are replaceable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom