lower steering shaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I think I know the answer and it probably is yes.
I replaced the rack and pinion several months ago(OEM replacement). At the time, the lower steering shaft seemed to be rusted solid under the plastic boot. Weird, because this rig has been garaged almost every day of it's life.
Is that supposed to retract and extend?
I would think so, likely for crash crumple reasons and ease of replacement. I did attempt to order a replacement on ebay out of country and ended up receiving the upper shaft. My bad, I ordered the wrong part. I have a new upper shaft on the shelf now.
Looking at Norwalk Toyota's site, for a 2000 Landcruiser w/ power tilt, the part appears to be 45203-60090.
Thanks in advance.

yes, it is supposed to retract and extend. I had some hard steering where the wheel would catch though it was a rack put a new one in. still same issue. turns out my "intermediate shaft" was locked up.

Thanks Jr, I will be ordering one.

I think this may be the reason for my stiff steering on certain corners and turn angles.

The OEM rack is about two years old and too young for this. I did notice a strange binding feeling when I had the truck lifted with wheels off the ground and was making lock-to-lock turns to let new fluid settle in.

I hope I can replace this without having to release the rack.

I apologize for not following up after I installed the lower steering shaft a couple years ago.
1. You can replace it without removing/loosening the rack.
2. The rubber booted area if I remember correctly, does not extend and retract. It is a crumple zone. I did destroy it however, by thinking it was rusted stuck and beating the snot out of it and compressing it. It did not extend....
3. My steering ujoints on that piece were fine.
I installed the new piece, a little wiser. Sorry for the late report.

I apologize for not following up after I installed the lower steering shaft a couple years ago.
1. You can replace it without removing/loosening the rack.
2. The rubber booted area if I remember correctly, does not extend and retract. It is a crumple zone. I did destroy it however, by thinking it was rusted stuck and beating the snot out of it and compressing it. It did not extend....
3. My steering ujoints on that piece were fine.
I installed the new piece, a little wiser. Sorry for the late report.
Thank you for the info. I actually had it out when I replaced the rack two years ago. Though I don't remember how I placed it when I re-installed it. Another owner on FB is replacing his now due to it binding on turns. His symptoms with binding on turns match mine exactly.

Just ordered a replacement from PS. Looking forward to installing this fix.

1654178002396.png

Is there and PM that can be done on the shaft to help avoid it rusting up in there ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom