Looking to purchase 4Runner - years 2010-2013 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads
Hi all - looking to buy a used 4Runner for my daughter and have found several online. I could use some advice on what to look for in terms of maintenance requirements.

I have seen a couple with major accidents reported on Carfax, which is a big no for me.

I'm looking to get one for under 200K miles - and know that the timing belt/water pump is likely required at 100K intervals, and that I should inspect for rust, esp around the windshield and sunroof. What else should I be asking about in terms of major issues/maintenance required?

Thank you for any help. And if you have one in the Denver area for sale, LMK.

Hi all - looking to buy a used 4Runner for my daughter and have found several online. I could use some advice on what to look for in terms of maintenance requirements.

I have seen a couple with major accidents reported on Carfax, which is a big no for me.

I'm looking to get one for under 200K miles - and know that the timing belt/water pump is likely required at 100K intervals, and that I should inspect for rust, esp around the windshield and sunroof. What else should I be asking about in terms of major issues/maintenance required?

Thank you for any help. And if you have one in the Denver area for sale, LMK.

The 5th gens have a timing chain so you don't need to worry about a timing belt. Honestly there aren't too many issues that I'm aware of in regards to 5th gen 4Runners. They actually might be a little less finicky than Land Cruisers when it comes to maintenance items. I think as long as the maintenance history checks out, little rust, and it's in good cosmetic condition that you're good to go.

Timing belt and water pump or seriously non-issues, one because a belt doesn’t exist, the other I’ve never heard of people having to replace a water pump every hundred thousand miles.

Mine needed new CV axles at 100,000 miles, but I was particularly abusive with it.

Also, I haven’t heard about rust issues around the windshield and sunroof, and mine was in Colorado for seven of the years I’ve had it.

Do yourself a favor and get out of Colorado, frame rust is only an issue in the states that salt.

The 5th gens have a timing chain so you don't need to worry about a timing belt. Honestly there aren't too many issues that I'm aware of in regards to 5th gen 4Runners. They actually might be a little less finicky than Land Cruisers when it comes to maintenance items. I think as long as the maintenance history checks out, little rust, and it's in good cosmetic condition that you're good to go.
Thank you.

Timing belt and water pump or seriously non-issues, one because a belt doesn’t exist, the other I’ve never heard of people having to replace a water pump every hundred thousand miles.

Mine needed new CV axles at 100,000 miles, but I was particularly abusive with it.

Also, I haven’t heard about rust issues around the windshield and sunroof, and mine was in Colorado for seven of the years I’ve had it.

Do yourself a favor and get out of Colorado, frame rust is only an issue in the states that salt.
Thanks for your reply. I had a Land Cruiser with the timing belt/water pump issue, so just assumed it might be a Toyota thing.

I also had the rust issue with that around the windshield - I was told it was likely due to a replacement windshield not being properly sealed. Had a friend with the same issue. Both in CO. No undercarriage issues with rust however, and that cruiser was 22 years old when I sold it.

Thanks for your reply. I had a Land Cruiser with the timing belt/water pump issue, so just assumed it might be a Toyota thing.

I also had the rust issue with that around the windshield - I was told it was likely due to a replacement windshield not being properly sealed. Had a friend with the same issue. Both in CO. No undercarriage issues with rust however, and that cruiser was 22 years old when I sold it.
I’m on my 6th or 7th windshield.

My 2013 is pristine under the windshield, I always look before they mount another one.

Frame rust, LCAs rusting, CV axles were my problems.

Thanks. Assuming that in order to check for rust, I just need someone who knows what to look for to check out under the car.
What are LCAs? And how do you check on the axles?

Thanks. Assuming that in order to check for rust, I just need someone who knows what to look for to check out under the car.
What are LCAs? And how do you check on the axles?
Lower control arms. They have been known to literally freeze into place.

The CV axles should be clean, and the boots should not have any oil leaking from them and the baffles should be pristine and not damaged in any way.

If there are cracks, then water, and probably salt, has made its way in.

If you insist on Colorado, frame rust will be a thing, I don’t think they will rust through like they would in New England. One of the areas where you have to worry about is the radiator mount, you have to look under the truck/into the bumper to see.

And check all the fluids. With high miles, the power steering and brake fluid will probably be disgusting and need to be changed, I would check the service history because all of the fluids, transmission, differential, transfer case should have been changed by then.

The CV axles should be clean, and the boots should not have any oil leaking from them and the baffles should be pristine and not damaged in any way.

If you insist on Colorado, frame rust will be a thing, I don’t think they will rust through like they would in New England. One of the areas where you have to worry about is the radiator mount, you have to look under the truck/into the bumper to see.

And check all the fluids. With high miles, the power steering and brake fluid will probably be disgusting and need to be changed, I would check the service history because all of the fluids, transmission, differential, transfer case should have been changed by then.

I lived in the Utah mountains for 3 winters and they salted there. I went to get an alignment done and my LCA cam bolt was seized and had to be chopped off. Also had to buy a new oem LCA too. I have surface rust mostly at the welds but no rot or anything. Even though I did undercarriage washes weekly and sometimes bi-weekly and was pretty anal about cleaning it off, salt is definitely a problem even if you are vigilant about cleaning it. Mine is not bad but there were a lot of older Land Cruisers in the Salt Lake valley that had a lot of rust underneath.

Last edited:
I lived in the Utah mountains for 3 winters and they salted there. I went to get an alignment done and my LCA cam bolt was seized and had to be chopped off. Also had to buy a new oem LCA too. I have surface rust mostly at the welds but no rot or anything. Even though I did undercarriage washes weekly and sometimes bi-weekly and was pretty anal about cleaning it off salt is definitely a problem if you are anal about cleaning it. Mine is not bad but there were a lot of older Land Cruisers in the Salt Lake valley that had a lot of rust underneath.
IIRC you can’t get the bolts without the new arms.

Thank you for all the information. Yes, I am checking service histories on any that I plan to look at...

One issue I just learned about with my 2010 V6 is the oil filter canister cover is plastic and tends to crack / leak over time. I found a solution online to replace it with a metal cover to prevent that issue.

If you check out this video (it is about how to change oil) and fast forward to about the 4 minute mark it will detail how to replace the plastic cover and even provides the link for the part:
5th Gen Toyota 4Runner Oil Change (2010-2021)

One issue I just learned about with my 2010 V6 is the oil filter canister cover is plastic and tends to crack / leak over time. I found a solution online to replace it with a metal cover to prevent that issue.

If you check out this video (it is about how to change oil) and fast forward to about the 4 minute mark it will detail how to replace the plastic cover and even provides the link for the part:
5th Gen Toyota 4Runner Oil Change (2010-2021)
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom