Looking for opinions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I brought it up to a few of you at the meeting the other night, and thought I would post in here as well. I bought a 12/73 FJ40 that I thought was in decent shape. I've since found some rust and wanted to get someone's opinions on how best to tackle it. I have little experience in rust and bodywork.

I live a few miles from Mike's BBQ, off of via rancho parkway. It would be awesome to meet some more of you and have a BS session. Thanks in advance..Mason

Last edited:
por15 is a great rust inhibitor, also there are several rust converters out there. I'm sure you'll find even more information than you can use from this bunch.

por15 is a great rust inhibitor, also there are several rust converters out there. I'm sure you'll find even more information than you can use from this bunch.

Thanks I'll post pics but this will have to be a cut and remove operation in the floor rocker area

Reactions: KTP
Here's the area, underside passenger side door rocker, I'm assuming new rocker is in order but I'm worried about it snowballing into more body work than I can handle.
IMG_20180929_094945047.jpg

The only way that you’ll really know how far the rot goes is by getting off the paint and whatever protectant is on there.

For that purpose I’ve used a really strong paint stripper that’s available at Home Depot. It will pull off the paint, grease, and any of the tar-based protectants. And it’s much less labor-intensive than a wire wheel. But beware- the stuff is pretty nasty.

Get a package of cheap wood/horsehair paint brushes (don’t use the ones made out of plastic- the chemical will melt those). And get a box of disposable gloves - you don’t want to get this stuff on your skin; it will instantly start to burn you. It will even eat through the gloves in about 10 seconds, so be ready to yank them off.

Once you’ve got the metal exposed, you’ll have a better idea of what you’re dealing with.

I'd suggest a good set of Rubbermaid gloves, no fun trying to get a thin set off while getting burned?

It’s not that difficult; it’s actually easier and faster than getting the thick, long Rubbermaid gloves off.

I tried both- and this stuff ate through the thicker gloves almost as fast. I ended up with the box of disposables because it’s also much cheaper. You can pick up boxes of the nitrile gloves over at Harbor Freight, and they have three different thicknesses available. You’ll go through a few sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom