looking for local advice; poss. a 2f engine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello local four wheelers.

I became I believer of Toyota's as kid riding in my Grandad's FJ-wagon back in the seventies. I finally got my hands on a project and need advice.
It's a 78' FJ-40 with a newer lift kit (springs and shackles) the body tub has had some prior work done to it as the rear floor is smooth with no corrigation and a 1x1" frame underneath. frame looks good with some minor flaking on one side.
1/4 panels are bubbling and floor at far left side has some signs of rust through.

number one problem the Tub it was shot with Line X from the front doors back. Talk about a lot of stripping! front and rear bumpers are custom made and quite nice but again shot. with line X. cost of repair panels is almost to price of a new body. With out all of the welding and work. I am restoring a VW beetle currently it is taking up all of my panel repair patience.

I've looked at the Alumin. tubs and they seem really nice although a little bit of cash. Shipping seems to come from the manufacturer in B.C. "aqualu" .
I'm quessing that they are the only company making them as all of the vendors online show the same bodies and options. I quessing that the shipping to MD would be quite a bit??? should one order from the manufacturer or from a vender? What about the prep work for paint. I understand it is very extensive and difficult.

The biggest problem I have is getting this thing on the Road. I can stave off the body until later. My engine is in peices. the head was redone by a prior owner and was done supposively with chevy valve train valves and such. there are dual valves springs on the head and it does appear to have been reworked.
I also have a HEI distributor set up.
What I don't have is a camshaft and all the gaskets freeze plugs and bearings.
The crank should probably be turned or polished and the block was cooked but has a bit of surface rust on it now. I have several boxes of parts but don't know if I have all of the nickel and dime you to death parts. Not to mention the carb is gone.

Should I rebuild this engine? or part the sucker out? I would love to go SB chevy or ford but the kits kind of put me off. the money envolved to change this and that driveshafts etc. etc. cut the floor. doesn't appeal to me.
The nicest way (and what seems the easiest and most $$$) I found is to do a Ranger 2 speed unit with a small block mounting. that way I can keep my 4sp and not have to change drshfts and tranny placement.

Better Still does anyone have a drop in engine? running good compression???
I would get me on the road. and save me time and money. I would love a V8. but want some good advice from some FJ people.

My buddy has been into CJ's for years and has spent countless thousands on his inline six only to get fed up with it and swap in a AMC v8, He has bought and paid for a seriously built chevy and all the goodies several times over. I don't want to make the same mistake!!!! Thanks for all of your help. I would like to make your swap meet on NOV. 5th Kenn

Hi Kenn, you might get better response to your general "what direction ot take with this project" questions by posting them in the 40 Tech Forum. Most of the Cruiser Gurus probably don't make it into this little corner of MUD. But I'm going to copy this post to our CLCC mailing list for you. You should definatley get on that mailing list yourself, but I'll make sure any replies to your question get posted here.

Hope you do make it out to the swap meet. It should be great!

:cheers:
Felix

This message was posted by Don McKinnon to the CLCC mailing list in response:

"I am in the middle of doing a frame off now. I should receive my aqualu tub in the next 2 weeks. I bought mine through JT outfitters in NC. The guys there are great to work with and I think they are a few bucks cheaper than direct. As for shipping if I remember correctly it was about 1100 - 1200 bucks to Manassas Va with a pickup at trucking co. I am building mine to keep in the family I hope for next 50 years. As for prep work on the aluminum. Nothing to painful. Assuming no body damage I am told that all you have to be concerned about id using the right primer. it is a zinc base product available at a good automotive supplier. as for the v8 swap I opted to upgrade my stock f engine for a 2 f. Found it at a junk yard went through it good as new. The 6s are very torquey some small blocks are not. But they are high revers. Its all about what u want. Good Luck, Don"

Shipping fees?

Thanks for your input. Did you mean that just the shipping alone was 1100 bucks? Just curious, did the ship it from aquala in Canada or did it come from JT's in NC?

I've got family in NC not far from Winston Salem and am always looking for a reason to hit the Smokies. If they have the tubs in stock at their shop, I wonder if pickup would be at the advertised price?

Anyone know what a full tub and cowl runs? Might be a good fun trip next fall for me! I wonder if I can get a trailer that will haul that body along with my Triumph on the back as well?....

I'm thinking of staying with the inline for now providing I find donor parts along the way. Still I tell you a good stroked SBC is a pretty mean little fella, but at idle the inlines are hard to beat. Just pricey to build up.

Last edited:
Swap Meet??

Are many members going to attend? Anyone bringing anything I could use?
engine stuff 2f
body parts (panels or how about a whole new body!!! lol)
radiator 4 core

I have an HEI disty, completely redone head with chevy valvetrain, crank, block and other misc.

I would trade for a ranger spliter that would let me drop in a chevy or poss. a small block swap kit.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom