Looking for input on tow rig search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oh ya. I will post pics of the different trailers I've used in past few years with rigs on the to give a rough idea. Longer trailer means more options too

this is with Chris 18' trailer w/2' dove, 3500lb axles and tool box on front

IMG_2405.jpg

All are with Chris trailer except towing the 40 scrap pile.

That is a 20' PJ with extra wide deck and drive over fenders. It has 8K axles ans spring axles. I would not recommend this trailer at all. It didnt pull well and was brutally rough. The spring axles and light truck bounced all over QE2. Also its height I have seen deckovers that are not as tall

image-790669520.jpg

image-1949015837.jpg

image-3558916509.jpg

image-229851486.jpg

image-3168087802.jpg

image-231246785.jpg

image-1415647755.jpg

Breakup is here! Time to start working on trucks!

IMG_20140325_184616.jpg

Nice work getting chromeo all set up for the pilgrimage to moab. Ever decide on a trailer or do you have one lined up? Flat tow? Your welcome to my car hauler but its a long way out of your way...

Nothing yet. Will need to start looking seriously now I have free time. Are you getting a goose neck, or borrowing one for the trip?

Got the hubs and bearings all cleaned up in my new parts cleaner last night and discovered the parts place gave me mismatched hub seals in matched boxes. Back to town I guess.

Man, that's a nice blue! Nice truck man!

I will eventually sort out my e-brake on the Ford, but don't think it will be before Moab.

Finally got the new cables in this afternoon. They were pretty quick after all the fussing time taking care of the hubs and shoes and seals and crap. Next up, troubleshooting some wiring when the weather allows.

Ready for inspection now. De-nerfing has begun. Trailer shopping may be a pain, hope to start hitting some dealers tomorrow armed with the info you guys have shared. I've been keeping an eye out, but used trailers that aren't a compromise aren't common around here. Lots of 3500# axle units... There is one gooseneck I may call about..... :hmm:

IMG_20140410_180253.jpg

Last edited:
I think Tyler is doing a lot of trailer hunting here in Alberta. Maybe get him to keep his eyes out for yourself as well.

ON that note. Tyler, you may want to check with registration when looking for the big trailer. Anythying over 15000 lbs registered gvw requires a yearly cvip, commercial insurance and gross and tare weight decals I believe. I know for a company it is this way, not sure about personal. Or you could always register as a farm. I believe the unwritten farm law says anything goes.

Around here the cut off for annual inspection is 4500kg, :rolleyes: which may explain why the lighter trailers dominate.

I think Tyler is doing a lot of trailer hunting here in Alberta. Maybe get him to keep his eyes out for yourself as well.

ON that note. Tyler, you may want to check with registration when looking for the big trailer. Anythying over 15000 lbs registered gvw requires a yearly cvip, commercial insurance and gross and tare weight decals I believe. I know for a company it is this way, not sure about personal. Or you could always register as a farm. I believe the unwritten farm law says anything goes.

Chromeo goes in to see Mike's cousin Tuesday. The running boards and box rails have been removed. A little less chrome :)

One local dealer has a very good selection of Load Trail trailers, but I've found a couple good used possibilities, both Silver Accent trailers built fairly locally.

The first is a bumper pull, 18", 5060# axles, built with 2x5" rectangular tubing rather than channel. It's a 2008 and could use blasting and paint, but looks well built.

The second is a 2010 gooseneck with 5000# axles and a 20' deck (+ beavertail?). It's built by the same outfit, so I would assume it is similarly stout. It's about an hour and a half from home but they have a very reasonable ask price. If it's decent, I think I'll jump at it.
ZMZ08WAELPFP8.jpg
IMG_20140412_173338.jpg

Those both look like great options. The goose one might be my choice. I think the roof top tent mounted on it would be cool for base camp wheeling trips.

That's a great idea :hmm: I'm taking a run out to look at it tomorrow.

Can't wait to get the Ford registered, then I can do some of the more significant work on the cruiser. Get the Longfield's in, likely put in my new rear springs, chop the rockers and weld in sliders.... the car hauler will help too, since it's still pretty sloppy here and I could use a platform to work on. The "shop" is taken up by the pig on jack stands.

Last edited:
IMG_20140414_135854.jpg
Gooseneck checks out. :) looks near new, 5200 lb axles, 16" rims with 4 matching Goodyears. I'll pick it up as soon as the Ford is plated.

Turns out the ones that have the trailer are starting up a petting zoo, so we got to see some zebras, kangaroos and lemurs while we were there.

Around here the cut off for annual inspection is 4500kg, :rolleyes: which may explain why the lighter trailers dominate.

Apparently this isn't the case..... no inspection needed for personal use, but over 4540 kg (10 000#) you are required to have a Class 3 license. I guess the axles just got knocked down to 5000# rather than 5200# ;)

IMG_20140416_180348.jpg

:grinpimp:

Found another wiring bug to work out though.

Apparently the trailer wiring on the truck has been hooked up with the reverse light circuit feeding the trailer brakes :doh: When backing up, the brakes on the trailer lock up, unless you disconnect to trailer plug.

The brake controller under the dash also seems dead/disconnected, need to look into that.

Last edited:
oh boy. That should be an easy fix either way. Looks great !

Looks like the reverse / brake issue is sorted. Blew a fuse in the process, and found the fuse for the brake controller is blown too. Hopefully 2 new fuses and all will be in order.

On strapping the cruiser down, I'm leaning towards strapping to the bumpers/frame rather than the axles. I figure this way the cruiser's suspension won't be free to flex, and the list will be more stable. Any reason this is a bad idea?

I'd go with the axles. The truck will bounce with the trailer.... no big deal.

Your straps/chains will stay tight all the time (read safer) if you go to the axle. The only bounce they will feel is the bounce in the tires, not the entire suspension moving around. You'll never get the frame tied down tight enough to stop the body/frame from moving

I guess if you had a tall/floppy suspension truck on the trailer, you might want to tame it somewhat, but I think the attachment to the trailer should always be the axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom