Looking for input on tow rig search (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice trailer! I always chain the axles too. Don't trust straps too much. Cross chain x 4

IMG_20140516_165319.jpg
IMG_20140516_165418.jpg
Thanks Jason.

Used the trailer to haul in 3 loads of maple firewood over the last week. Drug out the welder today to fix a broken pin for one of the ramps, and attach tabs for work / backup lights.

Just ran my mileage data since Moab (slow night on the rig). Looks like I've been averaging about 13-14l/100km empty (17-18 mpg US) and 18-20l/100km towing the cruiser (12-13 mpg US). I'm a bit surprised to see that changing from Rotella Dino to Rotella synthetic hasn't had a noticeable impact on mileage, but it does seem to start nicer on the synthetic.

Last edited:
Those are good numbers and close to what get empty. I wouldn't hope for much better than that.

with my truck deleted now that is close to what I'm getting. When i had my 01 7.3 the mileage improved when i went to 35s with the bit of rubber over drive

IMG_20141211_001018.jpg
IMG_20141211_074647.jpg
Thanks to an "oh fxxx!!" on day shift yesterday ( not geology thankfully) the cement eraser was broken out and I got to spend part of the night working on Chromeo.

The glow system has been pretty poor since weather got colder, so I've got new Motocraft plugs, valve cover gaskets and under valve cover harnesses to install. I tore into the driver's side through the night and put in new parts. One of the Autolite GPs that came out was toast, but luckily they all came out in one piece. Starts noticeably better now, but it's obvious more trouble lurks on the passenger side. Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into that side tonight as we should be on an planned casing / cement break.

I also have a new compressor wheel, turbo rebuild parts, new up-pipes and a pyro to install, but they'll have to wait till I have a decent stretch of time off.

Passenger side had 3 dead glow plugs. :bang: Starts up smooth now, and the exhaust isn't flammable anymore. :clap:

Last edited:
Nice work. That's a good job done and a frustration resolved. Must be so much better

Yup, and one less job to worry about over Christmas break.

Coolio rockdoc. My 7.3L would never start in the cold!

Chromeo will get some loving over the next week... first try to get it into the shed was thwarted by soft spring soil. apparently a superduty sinks where a pig with no drivetrain doesn't. With a makeshift mat laid down it should work out tomorrow. Turbo and up-pipes will get freshened, fuel leak hopefully fixed, fuel return modded, meatier glow plug relay installed and pyro installed. Rebuilt injectors and a chip will likely follow after a while.
IMG_20150402_192542.jpg
IMG_20150403_011128.jpg

It's always frustrating when that sort of thing hangs a guy up.

Good luck with the tow rig repairs

It's always frustrating when that sort of thing hangs a guy up.

Good luck with the tow rig repairs

It's in the shed now. :) If all goes well, I'm thinking I'll come out west via Calgary the weekend you folks are exploring around Rocky. Supertrain is on that weekend. :modeltrainnerd:

Turbo, charge air tubing and up-pipes are out, just finished changing the fuel hardline feeding the passenger side head. Was worn down and leaking at a stabilizing clamp right where others have had leaks. Going to change the line to the driver's side while I'm in there... then on to installing a kit that changes the fuel return circuit.... maybe install the pyro probe or get started at the turbo rebuild yet tonight. Todd comes out tomorrow for a week off from work, so I better get as much as I can done beforehand. :cheers::beer:

Nice work curt. How has access been at all the stuff

Lots of standing on the battery trays and killing my back. Lots of room, but awkward.

Ya for sure. Well foot on ya for tackling it. Here is hoping the clutch is good

It seems that the valley on top of the engine has a drain hole the leads into the bellhousing. Brilliant design :bang: any oil or fuel leaks up top drain to the clutch. :rolleyes: I'm planning to stick a hose into the drain before I put everything back together so that once it is running, I can dump some degreaser into the bellhousing and flush it with water. From what I've read, it's a crap shoot on whether or not the clutch will come back once the leak is fixed.

On the plus side, I always like getting a better understanding of how everything works, so this has been good that way. Any nothing has broken..... yet.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom