Looking for exhaust parts source - any recommendations? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I ended up ordering the downpipe with cat, and the secondary cat from Magnaflow.

I have the cat back set from Borla “hopefully” on the way. It’s been a few weeks now. The shipper says it will still be a while.

Both of the Magnaflow cats came with gaskets.

I plan to get stainless hardware from Ace to bolt it all together.

Oh - and I think I’ll use some high temp resistant paint to maybe delay the rust bug.

I ordered all new Toyota mounting hardware. The list below is a partial of what I bought. Other parts not on the list are exhaust manifold to down pipe nuts and gaskets and O2 sensor nuts and gaskets.

The Magnaflow parts probably come with gaskets but I think most have replaced with Toyota gaskets.

The other thing that will likely be needed is to grind the muffler pipe where it mounts to the Magnaflow converter. The pipe doesn’t go all the way in, unless Magnaflow has revised their design since I bought a few years ago. With my original muffler I had it double gasketed.

Thanks for the info. Your factory takeoffs look pretty good. Mine are fairly rough so I’m curious how bad disassembly would be as I don’t have a torch. Also wondering if it’s worth replacing with the factory muffler and hoping they mate up well or going with an after market muffler like the Borla (though I don’t like the exhaust tip).

I ended up ordering the downpipe with cat, and the secondary cat from Magnaflow.

I have the cat back set from Borla “hopefully” on the way. It’s been a few weeks now. The shipper says it will still be a while.

Both of the Magnaflow cats came with gaskets.

I plan to get stainless hardware from Ace to bolt it all together.

Oh - and I think I’ll use some high temp resistant paint to maybe delay the rust bug.

I’m curious to see how well the borla mates up to the magnaflow cat.

Thanks for the info. Your factory takeoffs look pretty good. Mine are fairly rough so I’m curious how bad disassembly would be as I don’t have a torch. Also wondering if it’s worth replacing with the factory muffler and hoping they mate up well or going with an after market muffler like the Borla (though I don’t like the exhaust tip).

I removed everything but the down pipe since it was still solid from the original install. There is a good chance of breaking manifold bolts when removing the down pipe. I used a hackzall to cut the bolts on one of the cats and also to cut the tail pipe in two places. The bolts holding the muffler to the mounts broke easily - they aren't very big. Once all the old stuff is out, the new is all bolt on.

I went with a Toyota muffler because I like quiet and the original lasted about 24 years. The fit really isn't a big deal, the pipe is just a little long. I hit it with a flap disc and made it about a 1/4 inch shorter. The picture shows the pipe sticking out of the flange and the arrow is where I had to shorten it (picture shows the wrong end but I didn't find a good view of the right end).

1636086061593.png

I removed everything but the down pipe since it was still solid from the original install. There is a good chance of breaking manifold bolts when removing the down pipe. I used a hackzall to cut the bolts on one of the cats and also to cut the tail pipe in two places. The bolts holding the muffler to the mounts broke easily - they aren't very big. Once all the old stuff is out, the new is all bolt on.

I went with a Toyota muffler because I like quiet and the original lasted about 24 years. The fit really isn't a big deal, the pipe is just a little long. I hit it with a flap disc and made it about a 1/4 inch shorter. The picture shows the pipe sticking out of the flange and the arrow is where I had to shorten it (picture shows the wrong end but I didn't find a good view of the right end).

View attachment 2830222

Ah, that makes sense now that I see the picture. Sounds like it’s probably something I can tackle. Thank you for the info!

True story... It all came out as described. I am here now... "There is a good chance of breaking manifold bolts when removing the down pipe." - and waiting to have all my manifold studs, nuts and gaskets on hand before I disassemble to drill out the broken head pipe mounting stud... in the rear manifold naturally.

Ah, that makes sense now that I see the picture. Sounds like it’s probably something I can tackle. Thank you for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom