Looking for advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everybody. I'm currently looking to purchase this BJ60. this would be my first land cruiser. I was originally set on a fj40 but after reading Bean's thread I'm pretty set on a 60 series now. I'm curious what questions should I ask the seller as I will have to buy sight unseen and ship the vehicle due to travel restrictions. he said the frame needs patch as well as other patch work on the body and floors. he said mechanically it runs fine. but is only ever moved around the yard. (so has been sitting) any advice would be appreciated. also I was curious why is there no fender vents? also the more looking into I do I believing this isn't a BJ60 but a HJ.

BJ60 1.PNG

BJ60 2.PNG

BJ60 3.PNG

BJ60 4.PNG

BJ60 5.PNG

Last edited:
Rusty frame, “only driven it around the yard”, and the fact that it’s been sitting are all red flags for me. Rust is an absolute demon to deal with. And sitting for a while could mean rusty gas tank. Bleh. I’d steer clear of this one IMHO

Rusty frame, “only driven it around the yard”, and the fact that it’s been sitting are all red flags for me. Rust is an absolute demon to deal with. And sitting for a while could mean rusty gas tank. Bleh. I’d steer clear of this one IMHO
Thank you for your reply. Ya I'm curious how bad the rust is. he said he would get some more pictures

that is true. In order to legally be able to drive on the road in Canada we need to meet certain inspection requirements. hole sin the body don't pass

Well to be honest you aren't going to find a nicer one in Canada for near that money. The body looks good with a couple rust spots which suggests that the frame might not be as bad as feared. However you need to see some underside shots.

I was concerned about what the inside of the diesel tank in my '81 BJ60 looked like. There is a plug on the bottom you can remove to drain the whole tank. It came out absolutely pristine. If it's being driven around the yard it's probably good, I'd only be concerned about the holes, you need to see pictures of those. The problem with the rust belt and cars that aren't driven much is that if they are driven in the salt then the salt stays there and never dries out, it constantly absorbs moisture and destroys the vehicle from the underside as bad as if they were thrown in the ocean. The only way to get rid of it is to drive down a highway in the rain, which doesn't happen in these cases. Or spray it down thoroughly underneath, which few people actually do.

I've seen far worse for that kind of money. Agree that this is an HJ, not a BJ. At least it looks that way based on the mirrors. How many kilometres? You really should have someone lay eyes on this. As @MarkBC says it doesn't look that bad, but it also looks like someone has done some patching around the LH rear wheel arch already, so that's not a great sign.

These things need deep pockets to bring them back properly. If you just want to get it to pass inspection, and then drive the wheels off of it, probably not a bad starting point. If you want to restore it, it will take time and lots of money. Less money if you're a good welder.

I've seen far worse for that kind of money. Agree that this is an HJ, not a BJ. At least it looks that way based on the mirrors. How many kilometres? You really should have someone lay eyes on this. As @MarkBC says it doesn't look that bad, but it also looks like someone has done some patching around the LH rear wheel arch already, so that's not a great sign.

These things need deep pockets to bring them back properly. If you just want to get it to pass inspection, and then drive the wheels off of it, probably not a bad starting point. If you want to restore it, it will take time and lots of money. Less money if you're a good welder.
thank you for your reply. I did ask about the model. he stated its the 4cylinder diesel. there for makin git a BJ.

he did mention it has a 5speed was well

All manuals in Canada were 5 speed, except for 1981 and early '82 BJ60's. It looks like it has a vacuum switched transfer case, which also suggests an 86 model, which would be an HJ.

Interesting. Looks quite damp in driver footwell. If a water leak has allowed a lot of moisture to enter, the driver side floorboards may be Swiss cheese. Ask for pics of frame rails front to back, a picture with carpets pulled back at rear wheel Wells and carpets pulled up in front floor pans.
Goes without saying, but is there any maintenance record? Lots of reg scheduled maintenance assures longevity, if skipped, you’re on your own.

Interesting. Looks quite damp in driver footwell. If a water leak has allowed a lot of moisture to enter, the driver side floorboards may be Swiss cheese. Ask for pics of frame rails front to back, a picture with carpets pulled back at rear wheel Wells and carpets pulled up in front floor pans.
Goes without saying, but is there any maintenance record? Lots of reg scheduled maintenance assures longevity, if skipped, you’re on your own.
I'll ask for the pictures. I'll assume there is no maintenance logs.

Well, the engine. A BJ60 has a 4 cyl diesel called the 3B, and the HJ60 has a 6 cyl diesel called the 2H. Thus the B and H designations. Both are great engines, with their own weak spots. As mentioned previously, find the one that has the best body and best maintenance history. I wouldn't get too hung up on having one over the other.

Oh, and the BJ's ran from 1981-1985, and the HJ's were only '86 and '87.

Well, the engine. A BJ60 has a 4 cyl diesel called the 3B, and the HJ60 has a 6 cyl diesel called the 2H. Thus the B and H designations. Both are great engines, with their own weak spots. As mentioned previously, find the one that has the best body and best maintenance history. I wouldn't get too hung up on having one over the other.

Oh, and the BJ's ran from 1981-1985, and the HJ's were only '86 and '87.
Thank you I'm going to look into this a little more.

Consider parts availability as well. I recall reading one was better than the other for US owners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom