looking for advice on beginners spray paint equipment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Next possible projects on the 62 will include painting newly acquired bare metal sliders sliders and sound deadening/new carpet on the inside.

@NCFJ has mentioned lizard skin products in some of his builds and I would like to try it. I have zero paint experience.

Looking for some advice for a basic set up at home to get me away from rattle cans and get some practice with a gun. Will likely start on the sliders for practice before moving to the interior lizard skin application.

Any advice appreciated.

Lizard skin is sprayed on with a special gun with a huge nozzle as the stuff is very thick. Very similar to spraying bed liner. Good masking is more important than technique with this stuff. Keep moving is #1 as it can build up fast. I go at it with the several coats program, a few passes and you will pick up a pattern and just run with it. Pull masking as soon as it starts to harden, ask me how i know.

I can tell you that the combination of LS and Dynamat Extreme on the current build has yielded a very quiet truck. Knocking on the quarters and floor has a dead low tone, zero rebound.

1 newbie to another...I have no experience with bedliners or the like but for general spraying on the cheap you should look into LVLP guns; low volume low pressure, otherwise you will need to purchase a high volume/pressure compressor ($$$). HVLP will yield more consistent results and is the industry standard but if done right LVLP can be just as nice. My Sprayit gun kit was $80 and came with 3 nozzle sizes and 2 guns (1 for small stuff). The purple gun from Harbor Frieght is another popular cheap gun. Research nozzle and pressure for bedliner and you may be able to get your liner accomplished with one of the above guns using a larger nozzle

I am 6 months into painting my 80 series (almost there) and it has been difficult but rewarding. Often 2 steps forward 1 step back...Prep and practice are the most important things. Then, prep and practice again

Check your local co- tech, the ones around here have CHEAP adult night classes and you bring your project. I took it three times/

Check your local co- tech, the ones around here have CHEAP adult night classes and you bring your project. I took it three times/
Yeah I have been looking for a while for local classes for both welding and painting but my search has been fruitless to this point. Everyone seem to only want to do classes as part of some years long certificate program for employment which is obviously not what I am looking for.

Lizard skin is sprayed on with a special gun with a huge nozzle as the stuff is very thick. Very similar to spraying bed liner. Good masking is more important than technique with this stuff. Keep moving is #1 as it can build up fast. I go at it with the several coats program, a few passes and you will pick up a pattern and just run with it. Pull masking as soon as it starts to harden, ask me how i know.

I can tell you that the combination of LS and Dynamat Extreme on the current build has yielded a very quiet truck. Knocking on the quarters and floor has a dead low tone, zero rebound.

Any idea on number of gallons needed for the 6x series coverage you have laid down on your projects?

Yeah I have been looking for a while for local classes for both welding and painting but my search has been fruitless to this point. Everyone seem to only want to do classes as part of some years long certificate program for employment which is obviously not what I am looking for.
Adult education was the key word in my search for a class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom