Looking for a little advice....advice found, thanks guys. (2 Viewers)

Which 80 series LC would be a better purchase? (same list price, same color)

• 1991, 212k miles, Very clean interior/exterior

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1994, 195k miles, Not quite as clean interior/exterior

Votes: 7 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm still on a quest for my first Land Cruiser, an 80 series. I have noticed the prices are steadily climbing here in SoCal (kind of like houses, lol). It seems like the average "decent" condition 80 series is going for in upwards of $8,000. By decent condition, I am referring to the body/paint/interior is pretty clean, and the vehicles have and the power steering pumps replaced/fixed, the rear main seal leaks have been fixed, new wires/plugs, new A/C compressors, those types of things.

Now this brings me to my next question. I have found a couple that are local for sale and the bottom line on both of them is $8,000...via email inquiries. One is a 91 with 212k on the odometer, the other is a 94 with 195k on the odometer. Both seem to have had those aforementioned repairs done to them, I'd give the edge to the 91 in regards to overall vehicle appearance (less dings, etc). I'm in no hurry to buy one (but who am I fooling, I really do want one sooner than later), and have noticed that both of these have been for sale for a month and a half. Assuming people have just been low-balling the owners, and the owners aren't really willing to budge. Is that $8,000 ask price considered high these days? I kind of look at it as, I could pay $5,000 for one, but then have to dump another $2,000+ into it sooner than later to repair those items that have already been taken care of by the PO.

I'm looking for input on which one you guys would give the edge to. I know the 94 has the more powerful engine, and it has 20k less miles, is this a no-brainer that the 94 should be my choice? I forgot to mention, both vehicles are the same color. I have yet to drive either one, as they are about 1.5 hours away from me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I would recommend the '94. The newer motor is more noticeable powerful. Also, parts for the older 3FE motor and transmission are becoming harder to find.

That said, it really depends on your intended use.

Thanks for your input Chap.

I forgot to mention my intended use. It won't be a daily driver, it will be used for monthly local weekend trips up to Big Bear, the desert, Mammoth, June Lake, etc.. The dirt it will see won't consist of anything too crazy, lets just say Gold Mountain in Big Bear would be the most "extreme" type of trail it would see.....eventually. In the mean time it would see the likes of mountain forest roads, the occasional trip up and along the Main Divide and up to Santiago Peak in Orange County. I'd probably drive it to work at least once a week though. :)

Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, but for now I would be looking at a 2" or 2.5" OME lift with 33's, and more than likely a set of White Knuckle Sliders.

Def do not rush the purchase. Do the research. You should drive both of the vehicles, and then decide. As noted above there is a difference in HP. Both vehicles will get you there and back, but the '91 will get you there and back at cruiser "cruising" speed. As always noted on MUD, buy the newest and best maintained vehicle you can afford. Good luck.

Thanks OG91LC. I have recently started my search back up. I had taken some time off from my search during the past couple of months, which started around February. In that time I had driven 6 or 7, but they just didn't feel like 'the one'.

Pulling the grades up I395 you'd appreciate the bigger motor. But if you're not in a rush the 3FE is a great motor too. There's lots of good comparisons in the 80 series section and a good description of the differences in the newby guide on Slee's website.

Don't forget to look for LX450, land cruiser, and landcruiser . Also in you search try misspelling cruiser to criuser. I've gotten lucky in the past doing that.

I've had good luck with a few of the Lexus' I've bought in the past being always dealer maintained. You can register on the Lexus website as an owner, put in the VIN, and you get the complete dealer maintenance history for free.

I would go with the 1994, 1fz and full float rear end is worth it. Also, prices in my observation are seasonal. Wait till the end of the year in our winter and you will see prices drift down a 1000 or 2000 dollars. I drove a 1fe cruiser and resolved to never get one. It doesn't hurt to check them both out and form your own opinion.

Just get the cheapest one possible and plan for a V8 swap.

Either engine will bring you a lot of sleepless nights and hundreds of pages read here on mud.
You will always be on a quest to get more power, supercharger, regearing, advanced timing and a larger MAF pipe, colorful stickers which add MPG and torque above 3000 RPM, Argon filled tires and always filling up the tank to half way.

Agree on the '94, but I'm somewhat biased owning a '94 with 248K (original owner). Maintenance history on either? Not to scare you, but the '94 will need a head gasket at some point if it already hasn't blown. Lockers? For Gold Mountain, you may want lockers. I assume both are stock at this point? If so, $8K seems awfully high for either, especially the '91. If the were pristine, I'd say $5K stock with maintenance records. Have front knuckles been serviced on either? What do the inside of the front axles at the tire look like? Clean or caked with old grease? Any apparent leaks anywhere? Pics on either?

Keep us posted!!!

Thanks for your input Chap.

I forgot to mention my intended use. It won't be a daily driver, it will be used for monthly local weekend trips up to Big Bear, the desert, Mammoth, June Lake, etc.. The dirt it will see won't consist of anything too crazy, lets just say Gold Mountain in Big Bear would be the most "extreme" type of trail it would see.....eventually. In the mean time it would see the likes of mountain forest roads, the occasional trip up and along the Main Divide and up to Santiago Peak in Orange County. I'd probably drive it to work at least once a week though. :)

Not to put the cart ahead of the horse, but for now I would be looking at a 2" or 2.5" OME lift with 33's, and more than likely a set of White Knuckle Sliders.

Gold Mountain requires 35"s
So, plan you lift kit around those tires.

Gold mountain does not require 35s. 33s and skid plates with sliders and you will be fine. Me and a buddy with a stock height land cruiser (his not mine) on Cooper discovery 32.5s did both Holcomb creek and gold mountain. A little rock stacking and good spotting and you will be fine. I think you definitely want lockers though.

get the '94.

quit waiting and just do it.
(i've owned mine for 20 years, and have another 20 already planned with it)

soap , wax and saturdays are for getting it clean, who cares if it has a scratch. It'll be covered in mud and scratched up plenty with use.
Baseline it, drive it, dont buy anything unless it's necessary to get you home, and enjoy it for a year...then go to Pismo in November, see 150 other 80's and take your own notes on what you like, and then see which mods you would use.

go home, lay out the mod lists and then go to town.

Or wheel the snot out of it stock and giggle that you saved thousands of dollars of stuff and still get into places with a smile on your face.

Pablo - I took a completely stock '94 to Surf n Turf in 2004! Look at what I have now! Way, Way too much Landcruiser eye candy at SnT!

i would look for overall mechanical condition verses interior/body condition, unless it is just trashed.
any vehicle @ ~200k miles can have problems, so make sure it has been maintained.
my '94 still has original HG, so not all 94's good bad :)

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll be patient and see what pans out. I'll be sure to post here when I acquire one. I'm not new to modding vehicles, so I know how slippery that slope is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom