Wanted Looking for a Fairey Overdrive housing not the gearing from a FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mfglenn

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for a Fairey Overdrive housing, not the gearing that came in the unit, the overdrive came from a FJ60. Have a crack/broken piece missing trying to replace the housing itself. This is a full transfer case unit not the add on Fairey to the that you attach to the Toyota transfer case, Thanks for your help, Mike

Fairey back case

Mike, I realize this is an old thread but thought I would see if you were still interested in the FJ-60 back case. I have a removed unit with thrashed syncros. I would be interested in your gear cluster if you still have the parts.

Private reply didn't work.

I have the split case style for an FJ-60 where you remove the back case and add the Fairey gears to the tranny output shaft in a new bulkier case. It eliminated the stock PTO output. I can't find the manual but I believe it to be a model 6810. I don't have shims for the output housing. I can send a picture so we would know for sure if we have the same unit.

Were you still wanting the cover or to sell your gears to me?

Fairey

It would definitely be 6810 out of your FJ60, how bad are the syncros, and is it the whole Fairey Transfer case plus gears. I don't mind giving you the gears on a trade, do you need just the gears. MG

I removed the overdrive and reinstalled my original xfercase when the OD syncros were so ineffective that I had to shift up at exactly the sweet rpm when the gears wouldn't grind. Down shifting was out of the question. The final straw was when I couldn't keep the OD engaged even by holding the shift lever in gear. It kept popping out with a load on it. New syncros are available for $75 each but replacing them wouldn't fix my gears. It's been in storage for 5-6 years. The bearings are sticky with old 90W but appear OK. The shift linkage, knob, bolts, etc. are all there.

The items I would need to make mine work are a replacement sliding syncromesh gear cluster, a copy of the installation manual, and output housing shims (which Toyota probably still sells but I don't know how thick to order without the Fairey manual).

Between the two of us we can make one unit. The question is yours or mine. I would sell my whole box of removed parts with a good back case for $100 + shipping. The gears are heavy. You may just want the back case to save on shipping.

Or, if you want to sell your whole kit, I'd give you $100 + shipping.

If you like you can send me your e-mail address to my PM box and we can complete this deal off of the forum?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom