Lockright Locker up front - 1979 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

aggiecruiser

SILVER Star
Threads
I have read a few comments on the Lockright lockers. A majority seem to agree that they are noisy, they click, and they have an ocassional loud bang. They comment that it affects steering, and road driving.

My question is this. If the hubs are disengaged at the front, and you are in 2H, shouldn't the entire front differential be sitting static (while driving on road) minus the free spinning of the hubs?

How can road driving and noise be had from a Lockright up front if you have your hubs unlocked and in 2H?

-Chris:confused:

You have it correct. You will not even notice a Lockrite in the front end with the front hubs unlocked. It does not matter what position the transfer case is in, with the front hubs unlocked you are not putting any power to the front tires.

Most all of the comments you are reading is about the quirky road manners when you are running a Lockrite or other lunchbox locker in the rear.

I've been wondering...
if you get any weird handling with a lockrite in the front, hubs locked, but transfer case in 2wd?
Thx, B.

I would think that if you have the hubs locked, even if you are not supplying power to the differential via the driveshaft - that the lockright would still inhibit differential rotation between the wheels. In other words, the locker is always on - whether you put power to it or not. So I think it would ratchet is you turned given your scenario. The key to me if my understanding of this mechanism is correct is having the hubs disengaged.

-Chris

I had a lockrite/easy-locker that I started with in the front of my 40. When I broke it, It was under warranty so I put it in the front when I got it back. It worked awesome, no weird manners and yes, indvisible when not engaged. (I put a full size Deteroit in the rear, much better locker for the rear). I never had any issues with the smaller locker in the fornt.

oops, no "d" in invisible.

I had a lockrite/easy-locker that I started with in the front of my 40. When I broke it, It was under warranty so I put it in the front when I got it back. It worked awesome, no weird manners and yes, indvisible when not engaged. (I put a full size Deteroit in the rear, much better locker for the rear). I never had any issues with the smaller locker in the fornt.

oops, no "d" in invisible.

That extra D is the least of your spelling issues. :)

I would think that if you have the hubs locked, even if you are not supplying power to the differential via the driveshaft - that the lockright would still inhibit differential rotation between the wheels. In other words, the locker is always on - whether you put power to it or not.

That's not entirely true. The plates have enough clearance to pass each other unless there's power when the center pin drives them apart. I would expect some clicking and popping, but never any skidding or dragging.

I've got an Aussie locker up front, and if I've got the hubs locked, and I'm in 2WD, there is a little bit of clicking, but that's it.

Hi All:

I have had a Lockrite in the rear axle of my FJ40 for several years now. Works great, no issues.

I have had an Aussie Locker in the front diff of my FJ40 for the last three years or so. Un-noticeable on the street with the hubs unlocked. On the trail it offers great traction, but definitely affects the turning radius.

Best "bang for the buck" IMHO.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
>you guys have any issues on the trails with the LR in the front?

Hi All:

I have had a Lockrite in the rear axle of my FJ40 for several years now. Works great, no issues.

I have had an Aussie Locker in the front diff of my FJ40 for the last three years or so. Un-noticeable on the street with the hubs unlocked. On the trail it offers great traction, but definitely affects the turning radius.

Best "bang for the buck" IMHO.

Regards,

Alan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

i like how ALL your post start "HI ALL" :D

I had a lockrite in the rear of mine and the road manners were fine clicking and occasional bang. I put a detriot in the back and moved the lockrite to the front and I dont know about yall but I dont really like it. Cheap traction for sure but turning in 4wd is bad and really bad if you get in something loose or slick. Save up and buy a selectable locker like a arb. Especially if your running anything bigger than a 35. When your forced to crawl up something with the wheels turned hard one direction it would be nice to be able to unlock the front and not have to grit your teeth about keepin a birf alive

Great replies guys!
B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom