locking lug nuts - any pros? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So in DC, you’ll see cars up on blocks occasionally—including a 100 in my neighborhood recently which I assume to be from theft. I had factory wheel locks that are degrading and want to replace. I bought McGard 24215, M14 x 1.5. The thread size fits but the McGarda are straight cylindrical and not flared like the OEMs. Is this correct and will the straight McGards hold acceptable? Pics attached.

D1347448-1B58-41A0-8809-60B5E55FA5C3.jpeg

74816CF8-BC80-4F45-83C3-C3CD6D7F73CD.jpeg

7BF58A3A-1392-4EC7-9669-F26793D79988.jpeg

BE52509C-D679-425D-B7FA-ECCD0EA66136.jpeg

So in DC, you’ll see cars up on blocks occasionally—including a 100 in my neighborhood recently which I assume to be from theft. I had factory wheel locks that are degrading and want to replace. I bought McGard 24215, M14 x 1.5. The thread size fits but the McGarda are straight cylindrical and not flared like the OEMs. Is this correct and will the straight McGards hold acceptable? Pics attached.

View attachment 2631626

View attachment 2631628

View attachment 2631629

View attachment 2631630
These will not work. Those mcgard lug nuts are conical seat type, meaning they fit wheels that have a matching taper. All 100s use flat/mag lug nuts.

These will not work. Those mcgard lug nuts are conical seat type, meaning they fit wheels that have a matching taper. All 100s use flat/mag lug nuts.
Yes, that's what I thought. I can only seem to find the flared mag seat locking nuts as OEM toyota but not widely listed. I think I will just go for factory lug nuts now.

Yeah, good call asking first. Those would be a bad day.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the LX above didn't have its wheels stolen. I'd be really surprised by the thief who took the time to thread each lug nut back on like in that picture. Probably somebody doing some shade tree type of work on the wheels or something.

If someone is out there stealing stock LX and LC wheels from 100 series they are dumb. Stock wheels just aren't worth all of that much, there aren't very many 100s on the road (so you're just that more likely to get caught), and most of our vehicles have a ton of miles on them and the wheels don't look that great.

Yeah, good call asking first. Those would be a bad day.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the LX above didn't have its wheels stolen. I'd be really surprised by the thief who took the time to thread each lug nut back on like in that picture. Probably somebody doing some shade tree type of work on the wheels or something.

If someone is out there stealing stock LX and LC wheels from 100 series they are dumb. Stock wheels just aren't worth all of that much, there aren't very many 100s on the road (so you're just that more likely to get caught), and most of our vehicles have a ton of miles on them and the wheels don't look that great.
I noticed the lug nuts, as well! I haven't seen the owner out to ask them yet. But this is in a wealthy neighborhood on a slight incline. It's the kinda place where the car goes to the Lexus dealer for any squeak or rattle. And I'm sure the neighbors would report the car immediately for violating ordinances, etc. Anyway, cool you noticed that, too.

I noticed the lug nuts, as well! I haven't seen the owner out to ask them yet. But this is in a wealthy neighborhood on a slight incline. It's the kinda place where the car goes to the Lexus dealer for any squeak or rattle. And I'm sure the neighbors would report the car immediately for violating ordinances, etc. Anyway, cool you noticed that, too.

With how expensive the OEM lug nuts are, at least the thief didn't add insult to injury. The blocks weren't necessary either so I guess it could have been worse.

View attachment 2631626

View attachment 2631628

View attachment 2631629

View attachment 2631630
would love to know the part number for the OEM locking lug nut pictured here. For a 100 LC I assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom