Lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In the next couple of months I am going to purchase an 80's series Cruiser. I have been watching the market for some time now. QUESTION? I have seen some 1999 Landcruisers with RR lockers.
Is this the same locker system as on the 80's series? Another Question?
Do the 99's only have rear lockers?
Any advantage of having an early 100 series over the 80 series?

Thanks
SS

Grouseman said:
QUESTION? I have seen some 1999 Landcruisers with RR lockers.
Is this the same locker system as on the 80's series?

Basically the same. Parts are not interchangeable with an 80 though.

Grouseman said:
Another Question?
Do the 99's only have rear lockers?
Any advantage of having an early 100 series over the 80 series?

Sorry, that's two more questions so I'll only answer one. :D

The rear locker was an option on the 98 and 99 100 series. The 99's also had a rear A/C option (maybe standard... I can't recall.)

The 100 series is larger, more powerful (with the V8), reputedly better fit & finish, more do-dads, and is a capable off-road vehicle when properly equipped (read that as $$$) With the 100 you lose the front & rear Diff Lock option, solid front axle, full-floater rear axle, sliding windows in the cargo area (I LOVE the sliders!) and you gain width and weight.

-B-

Last edited:
Beowulf said:
better fit & finish

-B-

NOT. Both vehicles shared the same assembly line and the same people building them. The 100 is NOT built any better than the 80.

There are lots of things to not like about the 100. I will not make the IFS/solid axle argument here but I will state that the body style sucks, the side mouldings suck (paint failure is common) and the engine imobilizer system REALLY SUCKS.

You need 200 dollar keys and if you are keyless you buy a 1,500 dollar engine ECU and new 200 dollar keys so the SOB will start and run....after you have the biatch towed to the dealer 'cuz it won't move........ :flipoff2: I DO like selling that stuff tho....... ;)

cruiserdan said:
NOT. Both vehicles shared the same assembly line and the same people building them. The 100 is NOT built any better than the 80.

I've never sat in a 100 but others crow about how much better the interior is than the 80. I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Above comment slightly edited to appease C-Dan-the-100-hater.

-B-

I will agree that the 100 interior is really very nice and I would like to retro-fit it into an 80. That has nothing to do with "quality" however. The main problem with that interior is you have to look at the butt-ugly outside before you get in.....:rolleyes:

Dan,

Come on now, speak up, tell us how you really feel.

SS

OK,

The 100 is a limp-wristed IFS pansy wagon with slab-sides, retarded bumpers, ugly mouldings, dumb looking positive offset wheels and a STOOPID security feature.......:D

cruiserdan said:
OK,

The 100 is a limp-wristed IFS pansy wagon with slab-sides, retarded bumpers, ugly mouldings, dumb looking positive offset wheels and a STOOPID security feature.......:D

Careful Dan, Shotts might see this and then you know what will happen. I think the 100 is a nice CAR.

Too late, I took care of him when he was in trouble. :D

cruiserdan said:
Too late, I took care of him when he was in trouble. :D

details...details... Is this parts or Moab related?

I agree, the 100 is fuuuuuuuuugly, and no tailgate.

The main problem with that interior is you have to look at the butt-ugly outside before you get in.....

:D :D :D

I'm going to be wheeling with Shotts in a couple of weeks. I hope he doesn't see that I posted this! :doh:

perk said:
details...details... Is this parts or Moab related?

I agree, the 100 is fuuuuuuuuugly, and no tailgate.

Actually it has the same tailgate configuration as the 80 but it adds a cool gap flap thingy that spans that little gap between the body and the tail gate. Other than that I agree with Dan.

However I wouldn't mind a 105 series :D

I agree the 100 series is pretty ugly but I just switched from the 80 to the 100 and I have no regrets. I spend more time looking at the interior than staring at the exterior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom