LJ78 possible bent front axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LJ78 has been running great after a new cylinder head, but recently I had a bit of an incident off roading and now my passenger side front wheel has a negative camber. I took it to a shop and put it on a lift, I was told that the axle appears to be bent, or it could just be the axle housing. If it’s just the housing, I can reuse my current gears and hardware for the axle. The truck is still drivable, but I want to fix everything so I can sell it. (4x4 still works very well)

Questions- is a bent axle or housing a normal issue? Is there a repair that can be done, or do I have to source a new housing? Where do I go about finding a new front axle housing? Anyone else have this happen to them before, if so what did you do in the situation?

I have a- 1992 LJ78 prado

Cheers,
Cal

post some pics to get a better idea, I straightened a nissan patrol front diff in place using a hydraulic porter power and chains, its as rough as guts but it worked

Pull the front diff out would be the best start though to get a better idea of how bent, strip the diff and see if its the stub or housing especially if you are selling it

My LJ78 has been running great after a new cylinder head, but recently I had a bit of an incident off roading and now my passenger side front wheel has a negative camber. I took it to a shop and put it on a lift, I was told that the axle appears to be bent, or it could just be the axle housing. If it’s just the housing, I can reuse my current gears and hardware for the axle. The truck is still drivable, but I want to fix everything so I can sell it. (4x4 still works very well)

Questions- is a bent axle or housing a normal issue? Is there a repair that can be done, or do I have to source a new housing? Where do I go about finding a new front axle housing? Anyone else have this happen to them before, if so what did you do in the situation?

I have a- 1992 LJ78 prado

Cheers,
Cal
I would guess you could straighten the housing if the right equipment is available since it sounds like its a minor tweak. But if you don't go that route, you can just replace the housing and reuse all the internals. Sourcing can be tricky, not a lot of 78 being wrecked. If you end up replacing, let me know as I have low standards and could put a bent housing to work HA!

Eyeball your radius arms before getting too carried away. They're pretty soft, and usually bend long before the axle housing. One of mine was bent when I bought my LJ78 and I had to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom