Lj78 electric hub debacle (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I've grown tired of fighting with my electric locking hubs and want to switch to manual ones.

Has anyone used these?
Hilux Pickup 4x4 LandCruiser HZJ80 FZJ 70/75/78 Free Wheel Locking Hubs 4Runner

My other thought is to swap over 60 series knuckles. Anyone have experience with this? Is it really as easy as swapping knuckle, spindles, Rotors and hubs? Will the lj78 axles, steering arms and brake calipers work? Sucks as I just finished rebuilding my knuckles... but I kinda don't want to leave my hubs manually set in the locked position (which I have done)

Any input is appreciated.

Been there, done that. I just swapped over the wheel hubs and used the factory locking hubs.
Need to swap over the brake rotors from the old hub to the new one. Brake calipers and knuckles still lj78 (mine is a KZJ78, running gear all the same) so no issues in that area. The only thing I kept from the electric hubs was the spindles...and the locking ring / nut.
The nut was machined down a bit as the threads didn't quite get deep enough onto the spindle. the bearings must have been a little further apart in the replacement hub. I did it some 12 years ago and still going strong. I like the locking part for the big nut in the electric hub setup. Much easier to adjust and lock than those two thin nuts and lock tabs.

Or you could get your caps on the electric hubs modified . We have a guy in NZ who does them. He has done some for overseas people before.

I've looked into modding mine like how old blue has but I worry about water working its way in. RADD cruiser no longer has the adapters so that's out for now :(

IMG_20151028_211347.jpg
IMG_20151028_211322.jpg
IMG_20151028_211315.jpg
I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks. i got good condition used front diff from Kijiji for $100. it is from the hilux truck i got the inner CV axle shafts as well for that price. Took some pictures just now. waiting on my rubber brake hoses to arrive so that i can get rid of the metal ones.
you will have to get the hub as well, therefore a complete used axle is more economical. I will post pics when I do mine.

this is the write up that i referenced.
Offroad-Express • View topic - Manual Hubs on a KZJ78 Prado/ LJ71 Cruiser

Last edited:
View attachment 1154389 View attachment 1154390 View attachment 1154391 I will be doing this in the next couple of weeks. i got good condition used front diff from Kijiji for $100. it is from the hilux truck i got the inner CV axle shafts as well for that price. Took some pictures just now. waiting on my rubber brake hoses to arrive so that i can get rid of the metal ones.
you will have to get the hub as well, therefore a complete used axle is more economical. I will post pics when I do mine.

this is the write up that i referenced.
Offroad-Express • View topic - Manual Hubs on a KZJ78 Prado/ LJ71 Cruiser

Thank you for posting this. I'm picking up all the parts needed this Saturday from a 60 series cruiser. I didn't get the same deal as you but oh well!

Well Postoy... if you need some help let me know... I can see if I can come over whenever your doing this, I'd like to see just incase I need to do this one day.

Might as well change the hard line for brake caliper to a flex hose. that way do not have to bleed the brakes any time axle service or brake caliper needs to be removed. just need a Hose with a male and female M10*1 mm end on each side.

update finally over. the project snowballed into brakelines and bleeding master cylinder and endless bubbles finally over. If one can avoid dealing with soft lines, one should. I had to buy a tool and flare some new piece for the caliper, the brake lines makes a bend and when the knuckle is truned, goes below the coil spring perch.
The HUB installation was a piece of cake, no surprises. some pics for everyone.
IMG_20151114_142926.jpg
IMG_20151114_142820.jpg
IMG_20151114_142751.jpg
IMG_20151106_161204.jpg
IMG_20151106_161156.jpg
IMG_20151114_142926.jpg
IMG_20151114_142926.jpg
IMG_20151114_142820.jpg
IMG_20151114_142751.jpg
IMG_20151106_161204.jpg
IMG_20151106_161156.jpg

update finally over. the project snowballed into brakelines and bleeding master cylinder and endless bubbles finally over. If one can avoid dealing with soft lines, one should. I had to buy a tool and flare some new piece for the caliper, the brake lines makes a bend and when the knuckle is truned, goes below the coil spring perch.
The HUB installation was a piece of cake, no surprises. some pics for everyone.

Nice work man! Thanks for the pictures etc. Nice to know this option exists for us.

Just to confirm... you used your existing e-hub birfs right?

I did. The Prado birfields were a little more beefy than the Hilux ones in my hub donor axle. Same length/spline on the outside obviously but at least one of the Hilux inner shafts must have been shorter to match the narrower track of the Hilux. Not sure how 60 series stuff compares.

Cheers
Clint

I did. The Prado birfields were a little more beefy than the Hilux ones in my hub donor axle. Same length/spline on the outside obviously but at least one of the Hilux inner shafts must have been shorter to match the narrower track of the Hilux. Not sure how 60 series stuff compares.

Cheers
Clint

Thanks, that confirms my experience but we sent a customer a 6x wheel hub & spindle (all same dimensions as a Hilux fwiw) and he used a pair of free-wheel hubs he had around. He can't get the clip quite engaged on the hubs so I'm going to assume the issue is his freewheel hubs :D

Sorry, did I miss what rotors you used?

Thanks, that confirms my experience but we sent a customer a 6x wheel hub & spindle (all same dimensions as a Hilux fwiw) and he used a pair of free-wheel hubs he had around. He can't get the clip quite engaged on the hubs so I'm going to assume the issue is his freewheel hubs :D

Sorry, did I miss what rotors you used?

I removed my original disc rotors from the Prado hubs & put them on the Hilux hubs. That's my how-to linked by Rummat81 above. I have de-photobucketed the original thread so it's got pics again too: Clints Cruiser Project - Page 2 - Offroad-Express

Hopefully your customer is aware there is quite a bit of end float on the axle shaft & it might just need a good tug outwards to get that outer circlip on?

Cheers
Clint

Hey Sorry, just saw this post. Yes I used the e hub birfs, knuckles and rotors. Hilux spindle, wheel hub and manual hub.

Cool, that confirms everything :D

Old thread... dragging it out out of the depths.

The LJ78/KZJ78 (and 71) have use the 80 series style inner axle seal - so you'd have to use those shafts on a conversion.

The High Pinion 70 series birfs are a bit different too.

And... I have a customer trying to install the snap ring on the end of the birf after installing manual locking hub adapter plates and it's not quite going on (as Kurt noticed previously). Manual Locking Hub Adapter Kit to replace Toyota Power Locking Hubs

The KZJ78 parts diagrams list different thickness Snap Rings for the end of the birfield. The earlier Cruisers listed one part number (90520-31001) but the KZJs have a variety of thicknesses available (and probably others do too).

So.... if you're having trouble with the snap ring not quite making it on there, try seeing if a thinner ring would do it.

90520-31004T=3.0

90520-31005T=2.8

90520-31006T=2.6

90520-31007T=2.4

90520-31008T=2.2

90520-31009T=2.0

90520-31010T=1.8

~John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom