LJ78 2LTE - Turbocharger Upgrade (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Any updates on this thread
Hello, actually yes I've sourced the right CT9 model that would best fit my truck from an online parts in Germany, make is Alanko and it's supposed to be around for quite some time.. Hopefully better quality than the ones from China. I will be ordering in the next couple weeks, have been busy doing a brake overhaul with all new lines and 1" MC to the old truck🙄

Last edited:
Hello, actually yes I've sourced the right CT9 model that would best fit my truck from an online parts in Germany, make is Alanko and it's supposed to be around for quite some time.. Hopefully better quality than the ones from China. I will be ordering in the next couple weeks, have been busy doing a brake overhaul with all new lines and 1" MC to the old truck🙄
Nice! I’m close to finishing my TD04 swap and had a couple questions but seems like I’ll have to figure it out myself haha. Good choice on the CT9 if it’s a direct bolt in. Should be up in running in the next few weeks.

Nice! I’m close to finishing my TD04 swap and had a couple questions but seems like I’ll have to figure it out myself haha. Good choice on the CT9 if it’s a direct bolt in. Should be up in running in the next few weeks.
Exhaust flange, water and oil are the same, but will have to create a new down pipe because of the different bolt pattern. How's your setup turning out? Did you use an off the shelf adaptor flange or fabricated one?

Exhaust flange, water and oil are the same, but will have to create a new down pipe because of the different bolt pattern. How's your setup turning out? Did you use an off the shelf adaptor flange or fabricated one?
I was able to find someone to make it

825A20BF-95CB-4AF9-B232-04FA1C7CA0C1.jpeg

Sorry for the late update guys, hope everyone's alright. Have been quite busy with other tasks, including restoring a 96' long stored Acura TL 2.5 as my wife's new daily after her old Peugeot finally gave up😵😵

So today I got the chance to finally unbox and inspect the CT9.. First impressions are really good! I'm impressed with the overall quality of material and casting. All surfaces have a nice finish, and oil/water passages are clear throughout.

About the exhaust inlet.. let me tell you this looks rough but in reality its unbelievably smooth!! Honestly this feels like 1000grit sandpaper! I was thinking to port and polish but now I decided I won't touch it!

Shaft spins nice and easy. I feel at least half the resistance of the stock CT20. Can't wait to see how it spools!!! What baffled me is the 2 balancing marks on the front side of the compressor wheel?? They're not on the fins, just on the "visible" side of the base. Can't think of why they wouldn't be on the rear side.. a balancing sheet was provided that indicates the shaft is properly balanced.

On Monday I will go to a machine shop to have an exhaust flange cut so I can proceed with the replacement. Will update, hopefully not late!

P.s. Compressor housing intake is smaller than the original turbo, so I'm thinking to order the factory one for the 2lt ct9 engine. As it retains the bending suited for the ac compressor location of all 2lt's. Anyone has the part number by any chance? Thanks in advance!

IMG_20210618_114749.jpg

IMG_20210618_114758.jpg

IMG_20210618_114835.jpg

IMG_20210618_114920.jpg

IMG_20210618_115243.jpg

I'm not sure it's going to work out yet; but the 80 series radius arms provide for a better caster angle. Rumor has it they may be just slightly shorter than the LJ78 ones, but I'm not sure yet. Going to try them and see what happens. If they do work out, it means I can run the soft flexible factory bushings instead of my in-flexible caster correction bushings. This will give more comfort and better axle articulation.

80 series on top, LJ78 on bottom in this picture.

80-series-on-top-prado-on-bottom-jpg.722943
which castor correction bushings were you using i cant seem to find anything, everything i have come across is for 80s

which castor correction bushings were you using i cant seem to find anything, everything i have come across is for 80s

They're the same as the 80 series ones (axle end ones anyhow). Cross to other coil front heavy duty 70 series and nissan patrol too.

Извините за позднее обновление, ребята, надеюсь, все в порядке. Я был очень занят другими задачами, в том числе восстановлением 96-дюймовой Acura TL 2.5, которая долгое время хранилась в качестве новой ежедневной машины моей жены после того, как ее старый Peugeot наконец сдался.😵😵

Итак, сегодня у меня появилась возможность, наконец, распаковать и осмотреть CT9.. Первые впечатления очень хорошие! Я впечатлен общим качеством материала и литья. Все поверхности имеют хорошую отделку, масляно-водяные каналы везде чистые.

Что касается выхлопного патрубка... позвольте мне сказать вам, что он выглядит шероховатым, но на самом деле он невероятно гладкий!! Честно говоря, это похоже на наждачную бумагу с зернистостью 1000! Думал портировать и полировать, но теперь решил не трогать!

Вал крутится легко и приятно. Я чувствую как минимум половину сопротивления стокового CT20. Не терпится увидеть, как оно катится!!! Что меня смутило, так это две балансировочные метки на передней стороне колеса компрессора?? Они не на плавниках, а только на «видимой» стороне основания. Не могу понять, почему они не были бы на задней стороне ... был предоставлен балансировочный лист, который указывает, что вал правильно сбалансирован.

В понедельник я поеду в мастерскую, чтобы отрезать фланец выхлопной трубы, чтобы приступить к замене. Обновлю, надеюсь не поздно!

Ps Впуск корпуса компрессора меньше, чем у оригинальной турбины, поэтому думаю заказать заводскую для двигателя 2lt ct9. Поскольку он сохраняет изгиб, подходящий для расположения компрессора переменного тока всех 2-литровых двигателей. Ни у кого случайно нет номера детали? Заранее спасибо!

View attachment 2706981

View attachment 2706982

View attachment 2706983

View attachment 2706984

View attachment 2706986

Picked up a TD04L-13T turbo locally this weekend (originally from a 2006 Subaru WRX). I've upgraded many things on my engine (Intercooler/Intake/Exhaust/Cam/Tuning/Cooling/Emissions/Alcohol Injection, Etc.), but have never played around with different turbo chargers. Trying this thing out will be a winter project. I expect it'll be a vast improvement for the motor.

A lot of people think the CT20A is on the small size for the 2LTE. I feel differently. Little do most people know, in the last few years of the 2LTE, Toyota actually ran the CT9 turbo on it. This is a much smaller turbo, and probably actually maps better to the engine. Having talked to an LN165 owner (newer 2LTE with CT9), he liked the engine quite a bit, and said it spooled quickly. The turbine on the CT20A is actually quite big. In fact it's the same size as the one used on the 4.2l 24V 1HDFTE!! Both the CT20A and CT9 are old turbos with inefficient turbines however. I have pushed my CT20A to 19psi (post intercooler), and it has held up well. It keeps up even at high rpms and full load. However I think there are better options out there that will increase drive-ability of a 2LTE.

So what am I looking for in an upgrade? Well turbos have come a long ways since the late 80s and early 90s. New turbos offer quite a lot, and can transform the response of an engine. Here's what I'm hoping for:

- Lower intake air temperatures (more efficient compressor)
- Faster spool (more efficient turbine)
- Broader power band (boost achieved at lower rpm)
- Better fuel efficiency (my engine overfuels a bit until into boost; achieving boost earlier means a more efficient AFR).
- Possibly higher pressure ratios (I need to look at the compressor map for these again....), allowing for more fuel later if I want

Fortunately this version of the TD04 is clocked correctly for the 2LTE, and visually seems perfect for the motor There will still be some work in making it fit however:

- Custom machined manifold adapter (fab on the mill)
- Ebay dump pipe ($50 on Ebay)
- Custom oil drain pipe (maybe just bend the one on the turbo)
- Custom oil feed (buy a custom made hose)
- General purpose sections of rubber hose and clamps to connect coolant lines (any autoparts store)

I'll let you know how this project goes. These turbos are easy to come by (they cost in the $150-250 range), as many WRX owners upgrade to larger turbos. If this upgrade is successful, it could be an economical option for others who desire more performance/efficiency from their 2LTE. In fact you can probably flog your old CT20A for the same price or more...meaning this upgrade will be mostly just labor and some custom parts fab.

Here are a couple pictures of the turbo.

View attachment 2072302View attachment 2072303View attachment 2072304View attachment 2072305
Goodmorning I have an lj71 with 2lte engine. I’m thinking to make a td04L or a vnt turbo? Can someone tell what’s better?

In case you're interested, here are how the three different turbo compressor/turbine sizes compare (from what specs I can find):

CT9 (Toyota Starlet)
Compressor (ind/exd) Turbine (Ind/Exd)
34/48.1mm 46/36mm

CT20A (1990 Toyota LJ78)
39.6/57mm 60/44mm

TD04L-13T (2006 Subaru WRX turbo)
Compressor (ind/exd) Turbine (Ind/Exd)
40.3/56mm 47.2/41.1mm

This is why I thought the TD04L would be a good 'performance' match for the 2LTE. It has a much smaller turbine, but more efficient. Very close in size to the CT9 in fact. But the compressor is the same as the CT20 compressor. So hopefully, faster spool, but still decent pressure ratio and flow potential. Of course there is way more to it with A/R specs etc. that I don't know.

Lots to be said for bolt on upgrades though. I hope the CT9 works out really well. Looking forward to hearing how it works out for you.
I see no matches on CT20 and TD04-13T fittings, see below a pic CT20 and TD04-13T turbos

61JTuTq4fPL._AC_SX466_.jpg

61+0q38QxwL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Hey @Tony89 Did you ever managed to install the CT9? Would like to read your impressions on it, compared to the CT20
THREAD REVIVAL

Well, it was about time to quit being lazy and begin swapping turbo's.
After two long years, the welcoming of our daughter, a job change and a house purchase I decided to tackle this task. So this morning I have removed the old worn CT20 to make room for the new CT9.

IMG_20231124_135431.jpg

IMG_20231125_152801.jpg

As mentioned earlier, everything bolts up except the dump pipe, so I had one made at a local machinist. I've cut off the old one and test fitted the new. Being a smaller turbine, it will need some patching before welding.

IMG_20231125_131909.jpg

IMG_20231125_133639.jpg

The Alanko turbocharger came with everything needed for installation, even some surprisingly decent gloves who took a number from the wire brush, but kept my hand intact 🤔

IMG_20231125_135628.jpg

After sanding off the old gaskets, and applying a generous amount of hi temp sealer, the new turbo was fitted. The egt probe was installed on the turbine housing as I didn't want to drill the manifold. Clocked at the right angle for the fmic, it doesn't look much smaller than the CT20.

IMG_20231125_152645.jpg

IMG_20231125_153029.jpg

IMG_20231125_155638.jpg

IMG_20231125_155715.jpg

Spent the last week or so testing the new turbo and I'm pleased to tell you that I'm beyond impressed! Couldn't be happier with how it turned out! The CT9 is mapped perfectly for this engine, so much more responsive than the bigger CT20. I'm now getting positive pressure from 1200rpm and building up all the way to 3000rpm without surge or power loss. I've set max boost at 15 psi, bear in mind I have NOT messed around with fuel settings or boost compensator in any way. Engine and fuel system are factory spec and will remain as is.

IMG_20231130_143349.jpg

IMG_20231130_143404.jpg

IMG_20231130_142918.jpg

IMG_20231130_143147.jpg

IMG_20231130_143139.jpg

Spent the last week or so testing the new turbo and I'm pleased to tell you that I'm beyond impressed! Couldn't be happier with how it turned out! The CT9 is mapped perfectly for this engine, so much more responsive than the bigger CT20. I'm now getting positive pressure from 1200rpm and building up all the way to 3000rpm without surge or power loss. I've set max boost at 15 psi, bear in mind I have NOT messed around with fuel settings or boost compensator in any way. Engine and fuel system are factory spec and will remain as is.

View attachment 3500785

View attachment 3500786

View attachment 3500787

View attachment 3500789

View attachment 3500790

Thats fantastic!! Thanks for the feedback and all the pictures. Great information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom