LJ78 2LTE to ?________? Engine Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’ll get a good look at it tomorrow as my son bought it at auction and sent me theses photos and a short video. From what I have seen from the very limited info on this configuration in the sedan it sounds the same, good call on MegaZip, I use them all the time over here in Okinawa. I will be interested to see if their are any differences in the EGR/throttle body and Turbo. He sent a little video which I couldn’t upload and it sounded normal.

Still haven’t had a chance to look it over in person but I saw another video in more detail and did some comparisons on MegaZip. The oil pan and pump are definitely different as would be expected, the oil filter is the same but it may be mounted horizontally which may work without changing. The fan and shroud are different, more blades which I already made that change and modified my shroud. The injector pump part# is different but it appears to be the same physically with all connections being the same, maybe an improved version on later 2lte engines. With all the heat shrouds on the turbo I can’t tell if it’s the same C20 that’s in mine currently but the part number is different so maybe there are some changes there as well but it’s hard to tell from the diagrams. I know the 2lte isn’t thought of very fondly in its early configuration but it’s been around for a while after the early mods and I believe by 99 it was probably at its apex so I am looking forward to getting this puppy installed in my Prado and se how it performs.

View attachment 2790152

View attachment 2790154

View attachment 2790155
It has taken way longer than expected to finally be at a point to put my replacement engine in for many reasons, some weather related (rainy season in Okinawa) some logistics (was planning on doing all the work inside a building) also, this being the first time I had ever done a swap in many years and that was a like for like 258 in a 78 CJ5 (pretty easy). As I removed parts from the “newer” engine I kept finding differences. The block was pretty much the only thing that was the same. The oil PU and pan are different, the exhaust manifold and oil cooler were different, the newer engine does not use water cooling in the throttle body or turbo (turbo was the same it just had cooling ports blocked off as did the throttle body) the injector pump had an extra electrical connection but I am going to use it for now. The alternator appears to be the same but the vacuum pump is different so using original. The power steering pump and mounting was completely different. The AC pump seems to be the same with the exception of how the high and low pressure connection block. The starter is close enough that I can leave it, connection are just in different places. The oil pressure sensor was different and there is sensor on the bottom of the original intake manifold that I have been unable to find what its purpose is although it appears to be a temp sensor of some sort, the new engine just has an opening with no sensor installed. There are a couple other sensors on both engines that appear to be the same that I need help figuring out what they are and I will put pictures of them and their locations. I tried using MegaZip and a manual I have without much luck. I am waiting on a new oil dipstick tube as the new engine didn’t mount the same way and I have been unable to remove the original and struggling with removing the plug on the block where the new one will eventually go.
The first picture is of the sensor that came out of the bottom of the old engines intake manifold.
The second and third pics are of another sensor that also appears to be a temp sensor located above the starter in the block.
The fourth and fifth picture are of a sensor that extends into the crank area just above the bottom of the block just forward of the dipstick tube mount. I have no clue as to what kind of sensor this is.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated, I hope to have the engine in and hooked up in a
week or so as I’m waiting on parts and to have the engine bay undercoated before it goes in. Thank you.

I think I figured out what the sensors are, the first two are most likely additional temp semsensors (I kinda knew that already because of there location and style) and the last one is a crank position sensor. The first one apparently senses the ambient temp at the intake manifold below the throttle body or it could possibly be some sort of temp sensing resistor as part of the glow system. The second one is definitely a water temp sensor. Of course in the diagram on MegaZip they were in a section toward the end called switches and relays in with wiring.
More progress was made yesterday while awaiting parts and the first tropical storm of the season ( which appears to be a dud) mounted the heater and turbo water cooling lines as well as the turbo and oil lines. I need to make a new gasket for the water connection to the turbo. I also was able finally removed the plug in the block where the oil dipstick tube will go, and it is a plug that was apparently pressed in as there are no threads on it. It took two people and a pipe extension on the breaker bar to do this, the second person had to prevent the entire engine and stand from moving.
If anyone has a suggestion for the best way to prime the various oil systems once the engine is installed like turbo etc without actually starting it would be appreciated. I just figured to not prime the fuel system till last and leave glow plug system disabled while cranking and watch for oil coming out the turbo oil return tube.
22D4D3B2-8A76-4792-8282-19A7633A6FA4.jpeg
717A4731-AEC6-452A-BFB9-B45BB4173E50.jpeg
DFAE7BF2-8E7F-44B3-A6A9-83ACD220D5D7.jpeg
97168B6D-2668-4A28-94E3-307BCAF9FAFC.jpeg
477C5CCB-3CCD-4A92-AEDD-1955DA056DC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Rusi, Im just starting to look at this build with the 8HP70 bmw auto. Can you PM me any issues you had or any body work that needed cutting or modifying to fit this in? Thanks
Nelson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom