LJ78 1990 Prado Heater core leaking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am hoping somebody out there in Cruisier Land has experienced the challenge associated with the removal of the heater core from their vehicle. My SUV has developed a leak in the heater core dripping small amounts of coolant on the floor mats and fogging up all the windows when the sun goes behind a cloud.

I spent about three hours disassembling a sizeable amount of the dash and with my now being able to visualize the heater core housing, it is pretty obvious that Mr. Toyota never planned for the core to be removed once the truck was built. Based on what I can see, I will have to remove the entire dash board to get the core out.

Of course Cousin Murphy has come to visit as well because it has got cold up here in the Great White North. The outside temperatures are about -10F or -25C so I can only work on it for about 10 minutes before my finger tips freeze and become useless.

Hope one of you guys can help me with some suggestions.

I have a newly flushed coolant system, new antifreeze and a new radiator so I am very reluctant to pour a leak sealing product into it like Bars Leaks. I know the product can seal the leak but it is non discretionary and all of those types of products are famous for the undesirably plugging up of other things like cooling journals and rad tubes.

Last edited:
I know I've read a thread on here with pics from someone who removed his heater core and had it patched, but I can't find it. If memory serves he began believing he would need to strip down the entire dash before he realized all you needed to do was remove a few key components like the steering wheel, and then there was a series of bolts along the top of the dash which, once removed allowed the entire dash to slide down and out, providing access to the core. I'll see if I can find it

I'm still looking, but went out to look at my own truck, and if I'm remembering correctly, this was the line of bolts you want...

1638745217264.png

here's a thread on it; seems like maybe I'm wrong.

you will have to totally remove or at least move the metal dash out of the way. you have to disconnect the heater lines in the engine compartment to pull the heater box out in the cab, and disconnect the wire that goes to the heater valve in the engine compartment. disconnect all the controls (wires) from the different places they go to, remove the lower center dash. unfortunately it will be a pain to do but it is pretty straight forward. have you installed a electric heater in the cab so you can work in the cold?

On the up side you'll have an opportunity to clean a lot of things up.

Knowing how bad this was going to be I had my used heater core pressure tested and the o-rings replaced on it's swivels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom