LJ73 lift and wheels/tyres combination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI All
thanks for all your help so far, I have test driven a number of trucks now LJ73s and BJ73s and am actually leaning towards to the LJ. They definelty arent fast but the rythymn of them is quite nice... and they seem a lot more perking than the Series 2a Land Rover I had previously and very similar to a defender 90..

Anyhow, i am a bit confused with the lift and wheel/tyre options. I have had a good look on here but I am still not sure

Lift
It sounds like 60cm/2" is an improvement? is that right, does it change the way the truck drives significantly?
Which brand is recommended or are they all pretty much the same? is there anything to look out for?

Wheels/Tyres
From my reading it sounds like too big a tyres really slows the LJ73 down.
it seems 33" is too big
31" was standard ? is this correct?
so 32" is really the only option, and then it comes down to wheels to suit the tyres

is there a half way solution where you can have taller tyres but thinner? or is the height that really causes the engine to struggle?
sorry if these are noobie questions..

Any prictures of lift/ and tyres packages would be great ( as long as they include the specs, i found there are lots of nice looking trucks, but not as much information on the lift/tyres on them)

Cheers
Chris

The LJ is pretty simple. Shocks and springs. I got 2.5" from OME I remember I ordered thru a vendor but they did the order for an 80 series. I think you can also find suspension with Dobinsons and Ironman too. I didn't do the installation but the person doing it had no problems. I don't have the specific part numbers for the suspension. The height is not a problem with engine performance.

Tires, I got as big as I could at the time but I realized that the LJ is really underpowered. BFG KM3 295/70/17 this tire is mud terrain and its pretty heavy compare with factory, I changed the wheels diameter to 17" instead of the 16" from factory, I installed FJ cruiser steelies spare tire. After that the tires hit the inner in the back so I decided to put spacers, I probably will change the wheels later, I don't like the spacers. Pictures is before spacers.

Screenshot_20210405-063636_Instagram.jpg

I can drive on the Interstate at 80km/h without overheating, taking my foot a little off the throttle on hill. I feel if I re-gear the differentials I could get more speed but for now I'm good like that.

I got another friend that has 31″×10.5″ and does better on the Interstate. He sold it last year.

1988_toyota_land_cruiser_70_1588446355236205f123b9f8B2CAB0A-DCA9-4998-B10D-A9FD5584CD02.jpeg

After I changed my suspension, I changed the bushings as well, they were shot. During that time the wheel bearing knuckle started leaking and also the driveshaft seals on both sides, probably all were due to change. But I replaced all of them recently after.

Grazie,
Jorge

Last edited:
A 2" lift is really nice and puts the vehicle where it should have been from the factory. 31-33" tires in skinny format (no more than 10.5" wide) should be fine for the stock engine. It actually makes the engine rpm a little better because of the 4.88 diffs.

If you intercool the engine, it's easy to turn up boost and fuel safely and make a lot more power. If you do this, you could have a 4" lift and 35" tires and still go highway speed no problem. (this is how I've set mine up).

A 2 inch Dobinsons lift and 32 inch tyres is (16in wheels and 235/85/16 tyres) the best combo for everyday use IMO

@christreb , I run 33” BF KO2, and I enjoy the ride on stock height Dobb Springs with Bilstein Shocks. It is all I need for the trails I go down. I did lose a bit of fuel economy going from 31.5” to 33”, but I can live with it. And there is a bit more weight hanging on the back door that I need to address that with an aftermarket rear bumper.

@4runnermods , I love those 17” FJ Cruiser rims, but wish they had a bit more offset. 😩. Not a big fan of spacers either, but it is a bold look, and is tempting me to put spacers.

Anyway, in they end, I’m happy right now with the stance of my rig. It has served me well.

Regarding economy, I’m getting 22 mpg all day long with highway/ city driving. Previously, I was getting 24 mpg with 31.5” tires.
As far as speed, I’m more of a RPM guy. I just did a run down to the Guatemala border, and try to keep it in the 2200 - 2500 RPM range, on flat ground or going up hills. If that means down shifting to 4th, so be it. 90 KMPH is the sweet spot for me on relatively flattish highway. 100 - 110 KMPH if going downhill.

1E6765E5-A737-4CF7-9EA4-2ACE9517BA52.jpeg

BB1DC2E7-A553-4D60-AEB4-EC5D1064632D.jpeg

558C85E9-87C6-4F3C-9401-02F6DC664561.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all for your replies, they are all very helpful

Those 17" fj cruiser wheels look great!

Thanks again, I think33" is too big for me but damn they look good.reading between the lines , I take it is hard on truck to cruise at plus 100kph for a long time? Doesn't really bother me as you have to get a rhythm with these cars anyhow

Thanks all for your replies, they are all very helpful

Those 17" fj cruiser wheels look great!

Thanks again, I think33" is too big for me but damn they look good.reading between the lines , I take it is hard on truck to cruise at plus 100kph for a long time? Doesn't really bother me as you have to get a rhythm with these cars anyhow

I ran 32" tires for years and often ran at close to 3000rpm for hours on end on fast highways. Honestly the engine felt pretty happy there. Low EGT's, smooth, coolant temps ok, etc. Even the mpg ended up ok. Sort of surprising.

I actually still use 32" tires when I tow my camper trailer. 35" are too big for towing.

The other issue apart from gearing , is braking. And Landcruiser brakes have always been just enough when working correctly.
But I really enjoyed having 33in tyres in soft sand. Deflated to 20 psi it walked up sandhills like it was on tank tracks

@roscoFJ73 , I respect your opinion a lot. But I haven’t had any issues with brakes. I considered upgrading the front calipers, but as I can easily lock up the brakes with little pedal effort, I figured it wasn’t wot he effort or time. Has anyone else had issues with braking on their LJ with larger tires or stock tires?

@roscoFJ73 , I respect your opinion a lot. But I haven’t had any issues with brakes. I considered upgrading the front calipers, but as I can easily lock up the brakes with little pedal effort, I figured it wasn’t wot he effort or time. Has anyone else had issues with braking on their LJ with larger tires or stock tires?

I agree, well maintained stock brakes are fine. I can lockup my 35s. Biggest challenge with these brakes is bleeding the darn things after working on them! Patience is a virtue and pays off with a nice firm pedal and great braking.

LPSV adjustment is critical with any lift also....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom