Living with a 3" lift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't own a 4Runner, but I'm currently shopping for one. I've found another one that looks promising. It does have a 3" Toytec lift. I am buying this truck for travel rather than hard core wheeling, so I'm wondering if this lift is a plus or a minus. The owner says it rides better than it did when it was stock.

Does a lift like that adversely affect the handling, tire wear and U-joint/CV joint wear? What's it like to live with? I will be driving this thing to the desert, which is over a thousand miles from home.

Thanks!

I don't own a 4Runner, but I'm currently shopping for one. I've found another one that looks promising. It does have a 3" Toytec lift. I am buying this truck for travel rather than hard core wheeling, so I'm wondering if this lift is a plus or a minus. The owner says it rides better than it did when it was stock.

Does a lift like that adversely affect the handling, tire wear and U-joint/CV joint wear? What's it like to live with? I will be driving this thing to the desert, which is over a thousand miles from home.

Thanks!
Yes the more you increase the angle on those CVs (by lifting the suspension) the shorter it’s lifespan/maintenance is (speaking from own personal experience). The ride comfort can be subjective, if you can test drive it, pls do so, his and your definition of “better comfort” may differ.

If a diff drop has not been done, a lift will almost certainly shorten the life of your CVs. If it has been done, then it will not matter. Handling will be more tippy in general, but quality lifts can sometimes outperform worn out stock suspension components. I'll second the recommendation to test drive it and see what you think.

Personal opinion here...it is better to buy a vehicle in need of new suspension than one that you pay more for which has been set up to someone else's liking.

That makes perfect sense.

I finally talked to the owner, but I had to call him to do it. He was pretty full of himself and his 4Runner. He claims he had $5,000 tied up in the suspension alone. Maybe I’m naive, but that sounds a little over the top.

Anyway, I found a 2003 Land Cruiser in excellent condition so I bought it. It’s a better fit for what I need. Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Good call. You will like your new purchase. If you haven't already, there is plenty of great info in the 100 series section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom