Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to get a new cordless drill soon as mine is dying fast. I have looked at a bunch and really like the 18V Ridgid lithium-ion drill. It seems to have good reviews on the web. I need something powerful that is going to last a long time. I want to spend $200 or less for the drill, charger, 2 batteries and a case or bag. I don't have a personal favorite brand so I'm looking for input. I've looked at Ridgid, Ryobi, Craftsman, Bosch, Makita, etc. Thoughts?

I know this has been discussed here somewhere before. LI's are definitely an improvement over what's been offered in years past. I picked up a Hitache 18v hammer drill last year, and am happy with it. I believe it was around $300 at Lowes.

Make sure u can get extra batts and chargers. The chargers are designed to charge L-ion batteries. L-ion batts can catch fire if not properly charged.

Ridgid is making fast inroads on other brands market share and getting a lot of good reviews from the magazines as well. I am still skeptical of them however - mostly as a one store brand, I don't like that for many reasons. I have both the Makita which is awesome and the Dewalt with is good to excellent.

My little brother uses only Ridgid and Ryobi (same company - also Craftsman) and he is happy with them for homeowner type of stuff. I don't think they'd hold up for the constant abuse that I put them to as I take on a lot more hardcore projects that he does.

Batteries for his tools are much cheaper though although mine can be rebuilt for 32 bucks worth of sub c batteries.

The clip that is built into the Makita is just awesome. That is why I have them.

I also used to be a Dewalt sales rep so I am very biased towards all things yellow and the old Black and Decker INDUSTRIAL and Construction line - bullet proof all aluminum stuff. My brother will tell you it's all a waste of money and just get Ryobi then he goes and spends the money on silencers and full auto guns :rolleyes:

It's all what you think is worth it. I'd recommend the Makita. It's the Land Cruiser of power tools.

-Stumbaugh

Ridgid is making fast inroads on other brands market share and getting a lot of good reviews from the magazines as well. I am still skeptical of them however - mostly as a one store brand, I don't like that for many reasons. I have both the Makita which is awesome and the Dewalt with is good to excellent.

My little brother uses only Ridgid and Ryobi (same company - also Craftsman) and he is happy with them for homeowner type of stuff. I don't think they'd hold up for the constant abuse that I put them to as I take on a lot more hardcore projects that he does.

Batteries for his tools are much cheaper though although mine can be rebuilt for 32 bucks worth of sub c batteries.

The clip that is built into the Makita is just awesome. That is why I have them.

I also used to be a Dewalt sales rep so I am very biased towards all things yellow and the old Black and Decker INDUSTRIAL and Construction line - bullet proof all aluminum stuff. My brother will tell you it's all a waste of money and just get Ryobi then he goes and spends the money on silencers and full auto guns :rolleyes:

It's all what you think is worth it. I'd recommend the Makita. It's the Land Cruiser of power tools.

-Stumbaugh

I know Makita makes great stuff. What is the clip for? The Land Cruiser of power tools is what I'm looking for! I have a large set of tools, but a lot of it was fairly inexpensive and is wearing out. Time to begin a long term upgrade!

Ingersoll Rand IR650

This clip is so that you can hang the tool on your belt or even on the pocket of your jeans. This is awesome when you need a place to set the tool or so that you can hang it off your belt and then climb up a ladder instead of setting it down somewhere.

Last year, an 18V drill with battery was dropped off a ladder and stuck me in the back of the calf as I worked on the ground below. It had a new 3/16's bit in it which sunk into the bone in my leg. The chuck of the drill hit my leg so hard that I got a massive blood blister from that - with a 3" deep hole in the center to and into the bone. If there would have been a clip on the drill it would never have been set on the ladder and then dropped. Clip = good. It looked like I'd been shot with a 22.

Check out Dewalt Power Tools, Greenlee Tools, Ridgid Tools, DeWalt Cordless Tools, Milwaukee Power Tools they have great deals. So does Costco if you want to buy the whole kit.

-Stumbaugh

This clip is so that you can hang the tool on your belt or even on the pocket of your jeans. This is awesome when you need a place to set the tool or so that you can hang it off your belt and then climb up a ladder instead of setting it down somewhere.

Last year, an 18V drill with battery was dropped off a ladder and stuck me in the back of the calf as I worked on the ground below. It had a new 3/16's bit in it which sunk into the bone in my leg. The chuck of the drill hit my leg so hard that I got a massive blood blister from that - with a 3" deep hole in the center to and into the bone. If there would have been a clip on the drill it would never have been set on the ladder and then dropped. Clip = good. It looked like I'd been shot with a 22.

Check out Dewalt Power Tools, Greenlee Tools, Ridgid Tools, DeWalt Cordless Tools, Milwaukee Power Tools they have great deals. So does Costco if you want to buy the whole kit.

-Stumbaugh

That had to hurt like hell! I hope you're ok now.

Just make sure it has a bubble level on the top.

On a more serious side my Lith-ion batteries (Milwaukee) are an improvement over the Ni-cad's, but no where near the Nickle metal hydrid's (NiMH-Panasonic). Realistically though both will do what you need them to. You might consider an impact gun. Very nice flexability as a drill/driver unit.

I have the older Ridgid stuff, with nicads. The tools work well, no complaints. I used to be a Makita-only guy for cordless drills, but their chuck and VS sucked on the drill they were offering a few years ago so I decided to look around. Ridgid's best selling point was the lifetime warantee, including batteries. My only complaint is that they don't offer a cordless grinder. I own most of their other tools, except for the cordless jigsaw, which I'll be getting when I find a need for it I'm sure.

-Spike

Anyone else with feedback on what to or not to buy??? Still looking. :hmm:

Makita impact driver is a great choice.... Far surpasses the conventional drill in most applications. Have owned or used most "contractor" grade drills and this light, comfortable driver is a capable brute. I have been running the 14.4 v Makita impact driver (nickel metal hydride batteries) for almost 4 years of heavy construction abuse and otherwise and it shows no signs of dying. The 18v lith ion Makita impact driver/drill combo will be my next purchase. These tools are usually sold as a drill/impact driver combo, so if you need the 1/2" chuck of the drill for a fat metal bit you will be set. Milwaukee would also be a good choice for strength, comfort etc... Preferred the 14.4v milwaukee over the 18v for lightness and being compact...still plenty of power. You certainly get what you pay for. YOur $200 spending limit may dictate otherwise......Ebay might assist you in finding some quality for less $$$$$$$$$ good luck

I have the Makita LXT202 kit, with impact driver and big honkin drill that does everything. I bought it about 2 years ago when the LXT stuff first came out, and it's been one of the best tool investments I've ever made. The batteries go FOREVER. The belt hook on the impact driver is very handy, as is the little LED light on the front. The drill is really heavy, but that is because it is also a hammer drill, they make several smaller/lighter models now. I'm glad I have it, I've used the hammer setting several times now.

I also now have the circular saw, which is wonderful. It will cut framing all day. I hope to pick up the 1/2" impact gun this spring.

i have this drill
CDR4850, Driver/Drill Kit, Cordless, 18 Volt, Slide-on Battery, 1/2" capacity (U.S.)

it absolutley kills ALL other drills. most everyone in my shop (industrial fabrication) was using all of the above drills; makita bosch, dewalt... mine is much stronger and lasts longer. what is the real bonus, is, it only take 25 mins for each battery to charge. the kit comes with 2 batterys which means very little if any down time.

when you pick it up you instanly feel the quaility. its not some cheap ass craftsman.
and it carries a liftime warranty.

i bought this drill alone, cause i already had the 1/2" impact gun which used the same battery. that impact gun has a cool video The Mother of All Cordless Impact Wrenches

but this drill does have 2 things i dont like about it. i think dewalt's XLR (i think thats the model) has a much better chuck. the fingers go in and out with out spinning. however both the snappy and dewalt use the same brand chuck, Jacob's. so it can probly be swapped out.

the other thing is it doesnt have the impact feature like the XLR. oh well, i hae never had to use it anyway.

Last edited:
i have this drill
CDR4850, Driver/Drill Kit, Cordless, 18 Volt, Slide-on Battery, 1/2" capacity (U.S.)

it absolutley kills ALL other drills. most everyone in my shop (industrial fabrication) was using all of the above drills; makita bosch, dewalt... mine is much stronger and lasts longer. what is the real bonus, is, it only take 25 mins for each battery to charge. the kit comes with 2 batterys which means very little if any down time.

when you pick it up you instanly feel the quaility. its not some cheap ass craftsman.
and it carries a liftime warranty.

i bought this drill alone, cause i already had the 1/2" impact gun which used the same battery. that impact gun has a cool video The Mother of All Cordless Impact Wrenches

but this drill does have 2 things i dont like about it. i think dewalt's XLR (i think thats the model) has a much better chuck. the fingers go in and out with out spinning. however both the snappy and dewalt use the same brand chuck, Jacob's. so it can probly be swapped out.

the other thing is it doesnt have the impact feature like the XLR. oh well, i hae never had to use it anyway.

I have always LOVED anything from Snap-on! Great stuff!

I don't think you can go wrong with either makita or dewalt.

I ended up buying the Milwaukee 18V lithium-ion today. I as in Home Depot and they had one new in the box on sale for $175 because the cardboard around the plastic carrying case had paint spilled on it? Inside everything was brand new and perfect! $25 the regular $200 and I need it for the weekend. Hopefully I made a good choice. By the way, I hate Home Depot. They must try real hard to find the R-tards that work there?! Sorry for the rant...:grinpimp:

My trusty and well served Bosch 13V batteries finally went south...way south ;). I went and bought the Makita Lithium Ion drill and impact driver set. But after getting it home and discovering (like I was all that surprised :rolleyes:) the damn things are made in China (like 97% of everything you buy today). So back it went...it was the excuse I needed to get the Festool; which is the one I wanted anyway.

Ok...China rant over. :eek:

Don't be surprised if you open up that uber-expensive Festool that the motors and battery cells are made in... yup... China!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom