Lincoln 140 amp welders (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking to purchase a 110 volt "buzzbox" and see that Lincoln offers at least 3 variations on their 140 amp machines- the standard "power mig" model; the "pro mig" (sold only through Lowe's) and the "weldpak" (sold through Home Depot).

Are there any differences in these machines, or are they all the same machine but just re-named for the big-box retailers?

And how do they compare to the Hobart 140, which sells at about the same price point?

Why are you buying a 110 welder? It will be very limited in what it can actually do.

I have limited (VERY limited) welding skills. Fortunately I do have access to qualified welders with the proper equipment when I need it. My 40 needs a fair amount of body work which is slow, but not necessarily difficult, work that I don't want to bother them with. The 110 machines seem perfect for that application, and they have the advantage that you can plug them in anywhere while a 220 outlet isn't always available.

Anywhere you have a dryer will have the proper 220 outlet. I can count on one hand the times I have needed to carry my welder some where and wonder about whether I can plug it in. Its much nicer to make them come to me. Then I know the environment and have all my equipment at hand.

The 220 machine will do everything the 110 can do only better. I do sheetmetal all the way up to 1/2in plate with proper preparation. My 220 machine is much more versatile. The only way you get beyond limited welding skills is to do it regularly. Don't let that be the determining factor in what you buy.

That's one of the things I like about my MM 211 AutoSet. It runs on both 110 and 220 V, comes with plugs for both. Awesome welder.

As I understand it: Any welders that come out of the "big box" stores have been "tweaked" with cheaper guts so they can shave the price some and still make money. When it breaks, if you take it back, you're pretty much screwed. I bought my setup from the local Airgas shop, very knowledgeable folks and they stand behind what they sell.

Last edited:
I use a Lincoln SP 140T (tapped) amp control. It works well. I am just a beginner welder.

lincoln 140 scap!

Our nearby welder repair center looks like a sea of red machines. As mentioned earlier, the units being soldat Lowe's and Home Depot are not what you want to have if you are going to be doing more than one weld a year on anything heavier than sheet metal. I went through one a couple of years ago and the circuit board continued to burn up after more than 10 minutes of continuous use. Used up two circuit boards at $200 apeice before I scapped the machine and went back to using my stick machine. I'm giong to Tractor Supply next week for a Hobart 187. On sale until July 24 for $547, I think. Great buy for a 22ovolt machine.

Meant to say Lincoln 140 scrap!

Our nearby welder repair center looks like a sea of red machines. As mentioned earlier, the units being soldat Lowe's and Home Depot are not what you want to have if you are going to be doing more than one weld a year on anything heavier than sheet metal. I went through one a couple of years ago and the circuit board continued to burn up after more than 10 minutes of continuous use. Used up two circuit boards at $200 apeice before I scapped the machine and went back to using my stick machine. I'm giong to Tractor Supply next week for a Hobart 187. On sale until July 24 for $547, I think. Great buy for a 22ovolt machine.

YeP, Learning how to type and watch tv at the same time.

A "buzz box" is a Lincoln 225 AC tombstone stick welder. They really do buzz, but they never break down.

what was your duty cycle? duty cycle= 20% @90A

Last edited:
I don't weld a lot, so take with that in mind. I have a Lincoln 140c that I bought from a welding supply place on eBay. Great service, reasonable price and IIRC free shipping. I like that is is continuously adjustable. I also have access to a 220 machine at work, so this is great for what I need. I researched these a lot, and steered away from the big box versions for the reasons stated above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom