Light-duty roof rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

am I the only one who thinks it's just weird that so many japanese sites and catalogs have a bunch of english on there? Remember, that very few people in Japan -I'm told- speak english, so the majority of web visitors see a bunch of characters that they will not understand. Is this just to look Kool? Picture this site with some japanese words here and there for a comparison....
?
Eric

Eric,

Yes, it is kind of weird.
English is all over here in Japan.

Partially we think it's "Kool", I guess. It also happens to be the most popular second language here and elsewhere, too. But I don't remember seeing as much Spanish in the US even though it must have been the most popular second language(and first to many) there, other than in Taco Bell ads.

You may (have) notice(d) that usually English is used for product names and services. But when describing products/services, Japanese is used. I'd say more people in Japan can read/understand more English better than Americans can do Spanish though.

Anyway...

:cheers:

Hi Mot:

that's right, you would not see much Spanish at all in the US other than in media that cater specifically to the Spanish-speaking, and a few commercial outfits that want their business. There are of course the international owner's manuals in 72 languages. (Of course, in some parts of the country you would not see any English at all, just Spanish, and we are told that there are now parts of cities where you don't need to know English at all any more, but don't get me started on that....) And it is true that very few non-hispanic US folks would speak or understand Spanish.
The reason I thought that English is not that widespread (at least outside of academic or technical disciplines) in Japan, besides reading about it, is that I talked to several people who had visited Japan and who told me that they basically were unable to communicate in English with the average person on the street. I have also talked (or not) to Japanese visitors who, although very well educated and high-ranking in technical fields did not speak much at all English. Uniformly very nice and friendly folks though and really interesting culture. I'd love to spend some time in Japan.

I guess I'm not complaining that English is the dominant language these days, though...

sorry about the OT...

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom