Lifting Q? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I scanned the FAQ on lifting the XCJ80 and am curious. Aside from the lift kit, assuming 2" HD OME and the castor correction is there anything required to lift the 80? I assume an alingment job is in order, but other than that it seams to be very straight forward.

Comments?

Fly Rod

The 50mm lift (shocks and springs) plus caster correction bushings are all you need.

I don't even think you "need" an alignment, although I had one done.

It is very straightforward - I did mine myself in the driveway.

I used a lot of penetrating fluid on the bolts and anti-seize upon re-installation. (I had a lot of corrosion and broke several rear swaybar mounting bracket bolts.)

Charlie

PS. I think you may have meant FZJ80...

Can't do an alignment, technically, on an 80.
All you need is castor correction.
If you go with J springs or add spacers, you'll need drop blocks, longer brake lines, etc.

NorCalDoug said:

:confused:

Why not? Because you cannot adjust caster(aside from the aftermarket methods) and camber? You can still adjust toe and the alignment of the steering wheel(which should be the only thing that changes since 80's have true crossover steering)...

Ary

With the exception of toe in there are no adjustments for alignment.

LX_TREME said:
XCJ80 :confused: I know there are VX, VX-R and GX-R but...XCJ80... or Jags XJ220 maybe? :grinpimp:
What are you doing in a thread about LIFTING??? :flipoff2:

NorCalDoug said:
If you go with J springs or add spacers, you'll need drop blocks, longer brake lines, etc.

CharlieS said:
The 50mm lift (shocks and springs) plus caster correction bushings are all you need.

I was thinking you dont even need the longer shocks actually, just springs and correction for the 2.5" lift. That said, I realize the OEM shocks would limit suspension travel, and you would need to pick up something longer eventually, and from what I have read lately OME may not be the best shock in some cases.

:cheers:

I should edit my first post regarding J springs...but I'll add a comment here. If you go with J springs and the longer shocks (that most get with the Js) you'll need drop blocks, brake lines, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom