Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'AR- Razorback Land Cruisers' started by Paul78FJ40, Aug 15, 2017.
yes. Just showing what CCOT says. Thick part of the shim on the front of the rear axle.
I believe I came across the same thing and found it to be in error. Somewhere on Mud there is actually a diagram I recall of the effects of lift springs and extended shackles and their impact on pinion angle.
Seems the thick part towards the front would point the pinion down.?
I always just cut my perches, rotated axle, and welded back on.
I meant thick to the rear would point pinion down.
Longer shackles actually point the pinion up so the shim helps get the pinion back down to around 90.
My current pinion angle with shim on back:
Without the 6 degree shim it would be pointed way up.
Edit: now that I flipped my springs I could probably switch to a 4 deg shim.
Way too much math
Lol! At the end of the day you want the pinion flange to be parallel with the transfercase output flange for a happy driveline. Put the shim on whatever side gets you there!
Thanks for all the help. I'll get it figured out. I guess I'll have to get my protractor on it to be sure.
What did you end up settling on?
Well, since the frame , and axle are being "pushed away" from each other, and the t-case is attached to the frame I think the pinion has to be rotated upward. Therefore I am putting the thick side of the shim on the back side of the front axle, and on the front side of the rear axle. I see this rotating the pinion upward to point more toward the T-case.
I could be wrong, but that is how I am seeing it. Thanks for making me question my decision again!
I'm 62 years old, with a bad back, and doing this by myself, so it is taking me some time.
On a different note, my new wheels and tires are supposed to be here today. I couldn't find any wheels locally, so I had to order some from California.
I may post photos later of what I have done so far.
Tires, and wheels not coming until Monday.
View attachment 1524031
Front right side.
View attachment lift.jpg
Ok, even though i think i am right about the shim in relation to the pinion angle, it really throws the shock mounting pin on the axle way off.
Now I think I am going to have to rotate the shim to get the shocks better positioned.
Or go with no shims at all.....man this is a lot of work just to see if I even need shims. I think I may have to have a drink.
It's me again. I spun the shim around, and tried that, then I took the shim out, and tried that. The final solution on the front axle is to have the shim with the "fat" side toward the front of the vehicle. I think this pushes the pinion opposite of what I wanted, but it is a must for shock mounting.
I am slowly becoming an "expert" on this installation. I think things will go smoother once I make it to the rear axle. (Sure hope so anyway)
Thanks again to everyone for their input.
I am so ready to get my Cruiser out of my shop, and on the road, but it will still be awhile before that happens.
Ya'll have a good weekend.
When it's all said and done get a magnetic angle finder and check the pinion angle vs transfer case flange.
Unfortunately redoing it is just a part of it. I don't even want to admit how many times I've taken my rear axle out and put it back mocking it up for a spring flip.
Thank god for beer!!!
The back axle, passenger side, did not drop down to the new spring like the front did, but I have it mounted. I have one more spring to put on, the rear driver's side. I got the old one out yesterday, did some cleaning, and painting, then had a medical appointment. (Not related to spring work.)
Today, I will put the last spring on. I had to shim the rear, with the "fat side" toward the front of the Cruiser.
I am going to have to drop my drive shafts to see how much spline is still engaged. The front looks to have come out about an inch, maybe more. I will have to mark where it is, and see what's left. I hope I don't have to get them lengthened, but it is what it is.
I got my new wheels, and tires late Monday afternoon. 33 X 10.5 x 15. My cruiser is going to be higher than I expected.
"Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
Ben was so right.
Well, I had to turn the shims around, putting the thick side on the rear of the axle. The differential was rolled up too much with the thick side to the front.
Now I have all the springs, shocks, and tires mounted, and I'm finally happy with the installation. However, I still have to drop the driveshafts, the splined part has come out about an inch. I'm afraid a trip to the machine shop is in my future. Depending on how much is still engaged, I may be able to get by with it as is.
Anyway, I'm getting there.....slowly, but surely.
The running boards are now 24" above the floor.
The driveshafts only have 1/2"-5/8" of spline still engaged. Though it may never slip out, I think I will need to get them extended.