Lift With 35's on FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=Deep South Cruisers link=board=1;threadid=8910;start=msg77256#msg77256 date=1071754099]
a 4" lift will clear without trimming anything. A SOA around here runs $2500-$3500.
[/quote]

Not on my truck it doesn't.

Got a 4" spring plus extended shackles w/35s and they rub from time to time.

just like all 35" tires aren't actually 35" ;)

Mine probably still has some settling to do, IF I wheeled for real I'de probably be sorry I didn't go ahead and trim the rears and install flares.

Dont know if this will help
after my question on the 17/12,we have followed some of your comments,we have fitted 35x10.5x15 Simex extreme Trackers on our Bj40/Fj40 is the same body
we have 4in lift kit, we used local aftermarket springs made by Belton Malaysia [they are the ones that supply a lot of springs to acessory shops who then put thier own sticker on them n sell them as thier own!!![suprising what you can find on the net]
we fitted new bump stops to the front so we have 75mm clearance between top of axle n b/stop,we put Rancho 9000
shocks front n rear, n have shimmed the front axle to compensate for the lift [castor angle]. and adjusted the steering stops for wheel movement, [not a problem for off road] only street use,we have tried it n it works ok[only a bit of rubbing on the front fenders during heavy mountain road climbing] we will now fit a round bar around the front fenders n weld it completly to the fender to stop it doing any damage to the tyres [dont want to alter the shape] what we have found is that during mounian road climbing the front axle wraps a lot in 4wd this also pushes the tire up to the fender,so am now thinking about trying to put a tractionbar on the front[any ideas??]
We had also fitted Brians rear axle traction bar and modified the rear arches up to the top of the wheel arch n extended the flare 50mm n dont have any problems there
we are using Lockrites front n rear n power steering from a Highlux [easy to get here]
Thanks for all your help wish i had found your site earlier would have saved me a lot of trouble
Ron

I have been running 35 x 12.50 for sometime. I trimmed all sheet metal, and have 2.5" confer shackels. Still get the occasional rub, sometime quite a bit.

Recently purchased a set of 3" procomp springs sua, and now have about 3.5 -4". Looks good, this should get rid of the rubbing issues. No more self siping of the tires. I got a great deal on the springs! Still want to do SOA, probably next winter. P/S is a must! I wish, it was my first mod. Research, do a lot of research! Try Proffitts, they have a soa kit! http://www.proffittscruisers.com/soa_kit.html inexpensive whay to go. Good luck.

just do the soa, ya cant go wrong you can buy your crossover steering arm or build your own no big deal. i wrench the s*** out of my 72 and hardly ever rub sheet metal, not saying you won't but why piss your money away on somthing that won't get ya the clearance ya need. if ya do the work yourself it won't cost ya more than a two or three hundred bucks. besides it's a good excuse to drink barly water.

:beer: I am going to do the SO as soon as I get organized. I'm either going to have my buddy help me with the welds or I am going to take the courses and practice. What kind of welder would you use for this type of work?

[quote author=Gumby link=board=1;threadid=8910;start=msg77757#msg77757 date=1071846648]
Straight to coils. No worries. :cheers:
[/quote]

Exactly!

If I am going to go through the process to heavily modify my suspension, the last thing that I am going to keep would be leaf springs, in any form. I am SU and this configuration has worked well for me, however, when I decide to build the next truck,

Sway aways will be on the way....

-Steve

I have 4" lift SUA and 33x12.5's and after ONE good weekend of hard wheelin' I bent both rear fenders up.

However, I do have room for 35's with a little trimming, but I would suggest trimming before you wheel anything for real.

Drew <><

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom