Life after 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Forgive the title, I couldn't resist, I am actually 40 right now, but after 10 years it is coming time to move on my '82 BJ42 and I don't know where to go next.
In regards to what is available, I am in Australia.

I love my BJ42, most days, it is my daily driver, and other days I am kinda sick of it. It is cold, it is hot, it is bumpy and noisey. It is a 3 seater. Even with new tires it is sometimes scary in the wet hills around here. I don't really 4 wheel that much for fun anymore, other than around our small steep property and for work and a few other occasions. Basically it is my work truck, I load tools in the back and pile timber and stuff on the roof racks and tow trailers (barely) around our hills. Our other car during this time has been a Subaru Forester and recently a brand new Outback, so now with a 3 yr old daughter (and if things go right another one in the future), we take the other car on holidays and I take the Outback whenever available to drive my daughter around (though she loves driving the 'truck') for safety, bluetooth phone and quiet and climate control, etc.

Anyway, I need a 4x4 that is bigger with more seating and more comfort that will become my work truck and the family holiday wagon, for surfboards and kayaks on the roof, a small trailer behind occasionally, for a bit more comfort and passenger and storage space.
If I had a dry shed and the space I would just park the BJ in it and just buy another car, as they are only going to go up in value, but I don't, and it has typical rust issues so it is probably best to move it on rather than let it rust out in the weather and play catch up.

So, for years now I have flirted with selling it and looked into options and I just can't decide.
I've only really ever had old classic cars and cars that I fell in love with, but this time around and at this stage of life I just kind of need something a bit more comfortable and safe and modern... I have my old airhead bmw motorbikes to fulfil the classic needs now...

For a while, and really my only serious flirtation with another brand, I pondered a Landrover Defender- but having sat in my mates late model one I realise they don't fit me, are rather small inside, and I just don't feel right about trading old school Japanese reliability for a British machine that leaks oil when new... Plus since they stopped production , the prices are just silly...

I pondered a D4D Hilux with a cabin, but aside from every tradey and his dog owning one around here, they don't actually seem all that good, and they seem quite overpriced on the second hand market for what they are.

60's (love em) are too old, and 80's (love em) too seem too old as well.

the field narrowed on the 100-105 series and a 76 series...

76 series seems like a really expensive slightly better version of a 40, which is kinda cool, but I have never actually driven one. Basic, tough, utilitarian, agricultural... something for me to love. With aircon (factory option lol) and all the other add on bells and whistles that should be standard, it might tick enough of the 'modern' boxes for me/my partner to become the family holiday wagon, and it does feel like it could be another long term keeper of a 4x4. I need to give one a test drive, but I have my doubts. They are very expensive and very very basic. I do like them, but I don't REALLY love them...

The 100-105 series seem a lot more modern and comfortable. But also, kinda dull. No way near as interesting as the 76 to me, but possibly actually more suitable to my needs and wants.I like the 105 with the solid front axle, but I worry that the 1HZ diesel will feel underpowered such as my poor old 3B does, and I am wary of aftermarket turbo-ing one. I also like the 100 factory turbo diesel (1HD-FTE), and I think I would be perfectly happy with the IFS, but they are often really expensive or really high kms. I've recently been pondering petrol/lpg variants of the 100-105... but I just feel drawn to diesel for no particular logical reasons (aside from it feeling 'right' I get scared of the fuel economy of big petrol engines)...
Hell, having seriously considered the petrol variants and how much cheaper they are, and also pondered IFS instead of the live front axle, as I don't really need a live front axle, I've even looked into the Lexus LX 470 (lpg conversion) to go full luxury pig... they can be gotten rather cheaply actually.

I don't know. I've pondered this for the last 4 years and am stuck on the fence. My long suffering partner is ready for a new car and for holidays we are needing more space than the Outback provides.. I need to set a target. Budget is probably AUD 18-28K or so.

Diesel feels more 'right' to me, but honestly, 99.9% of my use would probably be fine with filling up with LPG- it is not like we go anywhere remote anymore.
I want reliability, more comfort (which is not hard coming from a 40) and some mod cons, more space, decent power and I would like reasonable fuel economy.

Over the years I have researched and read here and elsewhere the various discussions and debates of this verses that, but I have never asked the question myself.

Here it goes.
Shoot if you have an opinion or suggestion.
Cheers,
Hans.

76 Series for sure. It fulfills your likes and needs with the few compromises you are looking for without being too sissy. I drive 79-94 hilux vehicles most of the time and every time I get much seat time in anything newer I am horribly disappointed in the lack of utility and the electronic nannies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom