Lexus link system error message at startup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Lexus dealership said about $1,000 to remove the lexus link system that is no longer supported.

When you start the truck, you get a link system error message. Just kind of annoying. I've read other posts in another Lexus forum but they mostly refer to the LS model.

It looks like you can unplug a few connectors and eliminate it. Does anyone know anything about disabling the link system?

I read somewhere that the box was in the floor under the second row for the LX

Mine was removed by a service tech in my driveway under the free service campaign about 9 or 10 years ago. It took him maybe 10 minutes which included chatting with me and as best as I can remember all he did was pull the overhead console unit out and replace it with a flip down sun glass holder. The antenna and its coax weren't touched and still remain. He didn't even pull the fuse (7.5A #19 labeled TEL).
Check the service campaign history in lexus owners and/or call lexus to find out if there was an expiration date for this campaign. $1000 is ridiculous.
Edit: it was a Limited Service Campaign, which means it had to be completed by a certain date. The NHTSA # is 10010434.

Last edited:
Mine was removed by a service tech in my driveway under the free service campaign about 9 or 10 years ago. It took him maybe 10 minutes which included chatting with me and as best as I can remember all he did was pull the overhead console unit out and replace it with a flip down sun glass holder. The antenna and its coax weren't touched and still remain. He didn't even pull the fuse (7.5A #19 labeled TEL).
Check the service campaign history in lexus owners and/or call lexus to find out if there was an expiration date for this campaign. $1000 is ridiculous.

I pulled mine when I made my overhead switch pod. If I unplugged it, every startup I would get an error. I ended up taping it up and stuffing it in the headliner. I'd be interested in how I can get rid of the system entirely.

Mine came out in Apr 07 so I really can't offer anything other than have you tried pulling its fuse? #19 in the engine bay box for an 03. I can't log into lexus.com to see if the relevant tech .pdfs for it removal are still there.

There are work arounds out there. I'll figure it out and post it.

I think there is a way to bypass it by locating the "in" and "out" wire into the unit. If those are disconnected and then spliced together, I think that stops it the error messages.

Another post mentioned rearranging the position of the two 11 pin connectors on the unit.

I'm not against pulling a fuse. But does that fuse control anything else?

I read on another forum that the link system was under the second row. The only thing I found is the fuel pump (I think). Any ideas on where the unit might be?

Or what fuse might control the link system?

I'll look at mine tomorrow for ya. I have the Lexus Link in my 2007. I don't get an error message but the red led on the control panel is still lit up.

I believe the OP has an '03 LX470 which would be the (01-04MY) 1st generation "Lexus Link", which was analog cell service only.

Your '07 would be the (06+MY) 2nd generation "Lexus Link" that supports digital cell service.

There may or may not be any similarities in the two systems.

I know the message the OP is talking about all too well, from an 03 GX470 that we had in the family. I couldn't stand it more than a few months after the "analog sunset" and had Lexus disable it (for free) about 9 years ago. I'm surprised that there still any vehicles out there with the 1st gen "Lexus Link" still enabled. I would have gone nuts putting up with that crap for the last 9 years.

Last edited:
This was annoying me, so I just took the fuse out... its been about two weeks and haven't noticed any adverse issues. The local dealer said they wouldn't remove or replace with sunglasses holder.

Oh well... at least it's not bothering me every time I start up. Also found it annoying whenever passengers asked me about it (even with volume on low), and I had to explain.

This was annoying me, so I just took the fuse out... its been about two weeks and haven't noticed any adverse issues. The local dealer said they wouldn't remove or replace with sunglasses holder.

Oh well... at least it's not bothering me every time I start up. Also found it annoying whenever passengers asked me about it (even with volume on low), and I had to explain.

Which fuse is it?

^ Yup... I kept the fuse in one of the empty slots if needed. Also have different sized fuses just in case.

I re-read the posts...and found the fuse. Gone is the little voice driving me mad.

Hopefully unrelated, but my mirrors are not tilting when I put it in reverse .

I'll replace the fuse tonight and see if it's the same one.

One of the features that I really lie because I tend to back into parking places. the mirrors tilting down let you just follow the lines.

Unrelated. just have to have the mirror switch to the left or right. left on the middle and the mirrors dont move for reverse .

Has anyone figured out how to actually disable the Lexus link system, instead of pulling the fuse? The night vision circuit is on the same fuse, and we need night vision (according to my six year old).

So I was able to track down the answer from a Lexus tech on the GXOR fb page. The lexus link module is located under the center console. Remove the cup holder/bezel around the shifter, then remove the small metal brace fastened by two 10mm bolts. Under this brace you will see several wiring harness plugs. There are four male/female plugs towards the passenger side which are compatible with each other. Unplug and bypass the male/female plugs for the lexus link module, leaving the two plugs from the lexus link module unplugged. No more annoying error message!!

PS. Removing the fuse also works for trucks without night vision.

ABDA8976-50A4-40B0-9CDC-76C04D4432B9.jpeg

That plug disabled my nav FYI. Just going to pull the fuse. The link system is in there, but the fuse solution will work for me rather than figuring it out. I was only in there trying to diagnose my CD changer which also quit so I thought I'd just pull the plug.

Here is full pic of Lexus link brain (2007 LX470 with no night vision) under center console arm rest. Going to experiment later today if unplugging causes loss of nav like for prior post... annoying to have this clunky thing in there

A89A9A16-F3D1-4D65-A0C6-159062931CC3.jpeg

Here is full pic of Lexus link brain (2007 LX470 with no night vision) under center console arm rest. Going to experiment later today if unplugging causes loss of nav like for prior post... annoying to have this clunky thing in there

Any update on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom