Builds Let's build a 79 Series from parts... (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That HTML data is the same data that we export to the current Global Service Information Site, which can be access from any browser. I would guess rather than using the antiquated software to "run" that code, you just access the HTML files themselves and view in a browser. I do that with updates to repair data, just have an HTML file and drop it into chrome to browse.

The CD's have the format --> link that drive you to " another " browser window in where it's the fresh models information. I tried it on my Linux laptop and it didn't work out .. to be honest I didn't put too much effort on it.

But it's not as plain as call and html from a plain text .. you can actually read an plain html in word if you want .. but not the active part .. again I would need to put more time on that ..

The CD's have the format --> link that drive you to " another " browser window in where it's the fresh models information. I tried it on my Linux laptop and it didn't work out .. to be honest I didn't put too much effort on it.

But it's not as plain as call and html from a plain text .. you can actually read an plain html in word if you want .. but not the active part .. again I would need to put more time on that ..

This is exactly why my $50 laptop made sense to me :)

This is exactly why my $50 laptop made sense to me :)

It guarantees the desired end result!! I snagged a couple of Cds that I will test out tonight and see if I can find/make some simple method and instructions. Otherwise you already have the best solution! I'm not a huge fan of subscriptions...so that's always 2nd best for me!

It will work for us to have a stand alone laptop just for this truck and if it saves my guy just 1/2 of an hour of not scouring the internet for what he needs, it's worth every penny.....or at least 5,000 pennies. 👍

Still needs some fine finishing work but this is where we ended up today. We will use rivets and adhesive to bond the plate to the box...I don't think it's necessary to weld it. We'll probably have it all powdercoated so it's nice and pretty.

View attachment 2196078View attachment 2196079View attachment 2196081
I think we'll straighten out that zig zag cut on the inner part of the box. Weld in a straighter piece so it looks better. We cut that section out to leave a little meat for rivets and adhesive.

View attachment 2196080

I think I caught a glimpse of the air box finished off, if not... perhaps consider using a dzus faster to secure the inlet to the box?

I think I caught a glimpse of the air box finished off, if not... perhaps consider using a dzus faster to secure the inlet to the box?
Good idea but I want to make this a fully sealed one piece deal.....pop rivets and windshield adhesive will do the trick. I don't think it needs to be removable.

Should be working on that part of things on Monday if our powedercoater gets things in gear and finishes up the parts we have there.

Watched your video the other day of Windrock...pretty cool!

Gotcha. I was thinking you may want to do something to tear-down the unit. 4-6 dzus with a silicone gasket would do that well I think. The spring retention would be ideal for equal pressure. Quick disassembly and flush design.

the build is killer. Very much enjoying it.

thank you! I need to get a damn gimbal. A lot of my footage suffered shakycamera syndrome. Hopefully this year I’ll be able to make it out. If I can I’ll be focusing on content creation.

We only had to break it down so we could build it. Once it goes back together and is sealed, it's done. Probably will be a little tricky to get it all together and the clamps on but if we can't figure that out, we shouldn't be building trucks :)

Hopefully less dust next year....I'm still cleaning dust out of things!

We only had to break it down so we could build it. Once it goes back together and is sealed, it's done. Probably will be a little tricky to get it all together and the clamps on but if we can't figure that out, we shouldn't be building trucks :)

Hopefully less dust next year....I'm still cleaning dust out of things!

I had a shot of me hitting my airfilter with my compressor when I got home. I can’t damn find it, but it was awesome 🤣

Plugging away....one piece at a time.

Rear driveshaft lengthened and installed. I had this on an 80...had new u-joints installed. Ended up with a new factory unit that went in that truck so this was leftover...perfect for the 79. 55" from end to end. Can't recall what an OEM 80 is...maybe 31". I had measured it before I sent it out but forgot what it was. No biggie.

20200218_111414.jpg
20200218_111443.jpg

We needed the drive shaft in so we could get all those ft lbs of torque on the crank pulley of the 1HZ. With that done, I can start on radiator stuff up front. Hopefully tomorrow.

Picked this guy up on Megazip....it's a rear locker harness for the HZJ76's harness.
20200218_142940.jpg

The 79 is an interesting truck....at least the GCC trucks like what we are using. We can't find where they have provisions for lockers. The 76 has the locker wiring in the harness....if it wasn't equipped with the lockers, the sub harnesses will be missing and there isn't a computer or a diff lock switch but the wires are there...taped up in the harness. But nothing on the 79s that we can see. Obviously they are on various models for various countries but we couldn't find them on the GCC trucks. Even my contact in the mining world that sees a bunch of these trucks says he has never seen a locker truck.

In any event....this will plug into my 76 harness and control the rear locker. Now we just have to get from the cab of the truck to the back of the truck.....very different between a 76(wiring runs in the truck) to a 79 that runs outside(exits back of cab). More on that soon hopefully....hoping to get back on wiring soon.

20200218_143000.jpg

Although I'm sure I've only seen a small sampling of 76 Series videos on YouTube, it appears all, including the very basic models have factory lockers. I simply assumed the newer 79 Series would also.

Although I'm sure I've only seen a small sampling of 76 Series videos on YouTube, it appears all, including the very basic models have factory lockers. I simply assumed the newer 79 Series would also.

Well the 76 interior I bought did not have the computer or switch nor the rear sub harness for the lockers and I got every piece off of that truck....the plug that goes to the ECU for the lockers was taped up and bundled in the harness. The instrument cluster has lights for the lockers though.

There must be 1000s of configurations of these trucks so who knows what the deal was with that 76.

The complete new 79 I have access to for reference has no switch in it....no plug either behind it for a switch. Wires don't appear to be in the harness but we haven't taken that apart yet to dig around.

Maybe these trucks destined for the mines or fleets are different than regular retail....super low on options to keep the cost down. Or made to spec for certain industries.

I know I've seen pics of 79s with diff lock switches.....just must be something weird with what we're looking at on Partsouq or Megazip or completely missing.

Not so hard to find....gas motor new truck....fully loaded with winch and lockers according to the ad.
ee5e2996-ce0a-4862-879d-7e56d83028b2.jpg
9886f5cf-2f6d-49bd-99d6-4ceaa4d408bc.jpg

LOL I see 10+ year old cars and trucks over here all the time that still have the factory protective plastic (mostly in pieces) still on the vehicle. Maybe they think it's like the proverbial mattress tag; against the law to remove it......

LOL I see 10+ year old cars and trucks over here all the time that still have the factory protective plastic (mostly in pieces) still on the vehicle. Maybe they think it's like the proverbial mattress tag; against the law to remove it......

Maybe it offers additional protection from the sand :)

Maybe it offers additional protection from the sand :)

Maybe. Although they do use a lot of clear film over here as well. Of course when the white film is more than half gone you would think they would peel the rest off.

Maybe. Although they do use a lot of clear film over here as well. Of course when the white film is more than half gone you would think they would peel the rest off.

Wonder if they keep all the plastic on the floors too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom