Left Rear Speaker Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, this will be my first post, but I've been reading the forum for a while and have been able to find most things I need for my 2000 Land Cruiser.

The problem:
I am not getting sound to my left rear speaker (the 2nd row one, not the subwoofer). I've tested the wires with the working speaker from the front and I got nothing.

Is the problem most likely behind the head unit?
I'm about to check for the resistance in the wire going to the speaker on the head unit side.

Update: I am getting resistance from the connector on the head unit.

Sounds like a bad connection. Clean that connector and test for continuity.

hope this helps.

I cleaned the connectors on both ends (the head unit end and door end) with contact cleaner, then I tested for continuity on both ends. On the end with the speaker, I got no volts when the speaker was running, as well as 1 ohm. On the head unit side, I got the same resistance, voltage was 0 because it wasn't connected.

Edit: I got low volts, such as 2 or 3. I don't know exactly what this means.

Assuming you have the stock stereo system from the factory, the signal goes from the head unit to the amp under the passenger seat, then powered signal goes out to the speakers.

Have you checked the connections on the amp under the passenger seat? Maybe one of the connectors got knocked loose at the amplifer. It is a silver colored metal box under the front passenger seat. Check and clean those connections at the amp.

With regard to continuity testing:
The speaker has a + wire and - wire going into it.
These correspond to + and - wires coming out of the amplifier.

Test continuity by putting one probe on the positive wire at the amp and the other probe on the positive wire at the speaker. There should be continuity (i.e.- a good connection between the amp and the speaker). Do the same for the negative wire with one probe at the amp and the other probe at the speaker.

If there is discontinuity in either of the wires connecting the speaker to the amp, then the speaker will not play.

I don't think that measuring voltage or resistance across the speaker inputs or across the amp outputs will tell you anything useful. and if you short the wires together (i.e. - touch the + and - together), then you could burn up the amplifier.

The best way to tell if you are getting power to the speaker is to substitute in a speaker that you know is good... you have already done this. Your results suggest that the speaker is probably fine, but it is not getting power from the amp.

Check the connections at the amp under the passenger seat - make sure all of the connections are clean and secure at the amp- let us know if that solves your problem.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Wow that was useful information! I don't think I shorted out the amplifier because the right rear speaker still works (I hope that's a good way of testing that). I will test the amplifier in the morning though. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom