Learning HAM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gun Runner 5

ODD IRON OFF ROAD
SILVER Star
Threads
I have recently bought a Land Cruiser that has a HAM radio installed by the previous owner however the Cruiser is undergoing some updating and won't be driven for a while. I also recently passed the Technician exam. In an effort to learn the HAM protocols and proper etiquette, I was considering buying a handheld and simply "listening" for a while. Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way?
Thanks

Hit a repeater and listen in during the evening. You should hear plenty.
Thomasville amateur radio repeaters

My recent observation of etiquette has been an operator pressing the talk button and rambling for several minutes. Followed by a response of the same. Want to hear some long discussions? Ask what antenna setups they are using. Awful boring stuff, but you will probably learn something useful.

I have 3 goals .....
#1. Don't piss off the guys that actually know what they are doing.
#2. Learn how to efficiently use the technology.
#3. Don't piss off the guys that actually know what they are doing.
:)

Congratulations on your ticket!

Listen for a while, and then just jump in. Most ham operators are very forgiving towards new licensees.

If there is a ham club within radio range of you, join it. They will have service opportunities, like providing coms for local bike/foot races and the like, that will give you good experience.

image.jpeg

I decided to initially go the inexpensive route. (I also ordered a Nagoya 15.6" whip)

View attachment 1726884
I decided to initially go the inexpensive route. (I also ordered a Nagoya 15.6" whip)
Good choice. It was also good that you added a better antenna. Ther eare a couple of other options to consider. A larger battery https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-Baofeng-Extended-Capacity-Battery/dp/B00ATTVKFQ and also a battery eliminator that slides in where your battery goes and lets you plug in to a lighter https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-Battery-Eliminator-Simulator-BAOFENG/dp/B00CCFWWA2

Unfortunately I'm the kinda guy who still has a blinking light on a 15 year old VCR. :)
Ahh, the flashing "12:00". I remember it well.
Seriously though, it's as easy as typing numbers/names into an Excel spreadsheet and pushing the "upload to radio" button and it is designed to work with almost every manufacturer.
Download - CHIRP

Seriously though, it's as easy as typing numbers/names into an Excel spreadsheet and pushing the "upload to radio" button and it is designed to work with almost every manufacturer.
Download - CHIRP
I am a friend and fellow amateur radio guy later this weekend and we are going to do the upload. One of the local clubs is having a "field day" this afternoon and I see that as an excellent opportunity to do some eavesdropping.

Download - CHIRP
P.M. Sent

Wait for a lull in the convo, ask for a break and tell them you are a newb and trying to learn. No joke or sarcasm intended. They'll help you out

A friend (one with actual computer skills) did the download into my little Baofeng so I'm officially up and running.
:)

Just FYI - Field Day is an annual world wide event. I know (sort of) a guy in Norway that was on the air for Field Day. I on the other hand was fiddling with my solar power, portable antenna, and batteries most of the time because I didn't have time to do it before. Oh well... I got it working :)

Welcome to the hobby. There are lots of options for ways to operate out there. It sounds like you have a friend that is a Ham. That's a bonus!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom